Hank Stram Super Bowl Formula

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
If you read further down the page, the last three years Hank's system has been a loss, so overall it is 39-6

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Why do you not see coaches in a suit and tie anymore? Hank was always a snappy dresser and a damn good coach.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Licensing. The coaches have to wear gear supplied by the official uniform supplier--in this case, Nike.

formido

Reaction score
Love the first two items:

"Give 10 points to a team if they have won a Super Bowl in the last three seasons.
Give 8.0 points to either team if their opponent is playing in their very first Super Bowl in franchise history."

When Seattle lost to Pittsburgh, I pondered why for a long time. It seemed clear Seattle was the better team, even on that day. Why were we the first team ever to lose a Super Bowl after winning so many team stats on game day, like TO margin and time of possession? Not even lose, but lose handily.

I don't believe in ref conspiracies, but I'm a huge believer in cognitive bias and cognitive bias is often systemic. I think the bias of the officials that Seattle didn't belong there, and certainly didn't belong winning, was too great to overcome.

So my theory was that upstarts usually aren't "allowed" to win a Super Bowl. The cognitive dissonance for the establishment is too great. The PR will be against you, the stories, the refs, whatever. That such an accurate handicapping system weights the above criteria higher than any other, especially the second one, reinforces this notion.

Thank God we've been to a Super Bowl. And you can feel the difference: Folks may disagree about who will win, but no one is contemptuous of Seattle like they were in 2005. Seattle is considered worthy of winning a SB.

StorytellerMatt":12d0lwe2 said:
If you read further down the page, the last three years Hank's system has been a loss, so overall it is 39-6

Football's still football, nothing major has changed. The recent results are just chance. If you look at the last three winners--Baltimore, NY, and Green Bay--I expected those teams to lose and I bet they were lower in DVOA. Perhaps the handicapping scores came out pretty close, making it more likely that the model will fail. In this year's case, Seattle is far ahead in the model's scoring system.

sutz

Reaction score
Give 2.5 points to the team with the fewer offensive pass attempts.

Old school there. Wonder how the Donkey fans like this one. :)

woodstockme

Reaction score
Unfortunately in the prior three super bowls he predicted blow-out wins - Steelers, Patriots and 49ers. May not be a great predictor anymore.