seahawk players have to pay taxes to NJ???

Spiderdan

Reaction score
Several states require visiting team players having to pay taxes. Including california and illinois.

sutz

Reaction score
Doubtful if it is Chris Christie's "fault" as it's not the kind of thing one guy could do, even a gov. And I don't even like the guy. ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If the Broncos lose the SB, Payton Manning will actually have to pay money for the privilege of playing in the SB.

Hilarious.

OP
OP
Axx

Axx

Reaction score
seadoc30":qjqbiuir said:
What's it to you? Not your money. Just saying.

Why do you care if i care. Just saying.

Also i'm just posting because i thought this was strange to pay nearly a 9% tax for playing one game in their state. Maybe that explains why nj wanted the sb so badly. To take a cut from peytons check

sutz

Reaction score
Axx":2erbws86 said:
seadoc30":2erbws86 said:

Also i'm just posting because i thought this was strange to pay nearly a 9% tax for playing one game in their state. Maybe that explains why nj wanted the sb so badly. To take a cut from peytons check
They don't pay the tax on their whole salary, just the pro-rated part over how long they are in the State. Normal games, it's 2-3 days at most. For the SB it'll be a week or so.

And, as the article points out, a lot of states do this. :229031_shrug:

duckypoo

Reaction score
This is why MLB players have some awesome CPA's working for them. Over 81 road games those guys usually hit such a high variety of tax locales and policies that the stories are entertaining.

Well, entertaining if you're an accountant :(

Chapman

Reaction score
Tons of states have a Income tax.
I live on the good side of the river in Washington State, but my employer is in Portland Oregon.
So not only do I pay federal income tax, I pay Oregon State income tax, and Sales tax in Washington State.
I really don't have any sympathy for them, and I'm quite happy that the rules apply to everyone.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Axx":35p4yokx said:
seadoc30":35p4yokx said:

It ends up way more than 9% of what he makes in the game.

They claim 8 of his 235 working days. They are claiming over 600,000 of his dollars are earned in NJ, and ignoring that the most he can make from winning the SB is 92,000 dollars.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
This has been happening for years.
Each game check is taxed by the state they play in.

Also, if a player is injured, they file on the job injuries by the states their playing in too.

heard it about baseball players years ago. One state had a real good O.J.I. package compared to the rest of the US.
Players were always miraculously getting hurt there. I think it was Arizona.
Veteran players would tell young guys to hide small injuries until they get to specific cities.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that more of an issue isn't made of this when it comes time to signing free agents. Whether or not half of your income is subject to state income taxes would seem to me to be a pretty big deal.

mikeak

Reaction score
I wonder if you can structure a contract to pay $1m for home games and $10k for away games (wouldn't affect SB)

When Phil Mickelson win the British Open there was an article about how he (and everyone else) was also taxes a prorated piece for all advertisement income etc that they have.....

lsheldon

Reaction score
Teams in the SB also receive a payment from the league for the game. Winners receive 92K per player and losing teams players receive 48K. That should easily offset any tax they may pay for the week they are in NJ. Additionally, a lot of players have SB bonuses built into their contract. Not sure how many Seahawks do though. I think they will get by.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
BlueTalon":165aw1o5 said:
I'm really surprised that more of an issue isn't made of this when it comes time to signing free agents. Whether or not half of your income is subject to state income taxes would seem to me to be a pretty big deal.
I guarantee that privately they make a big deal of it.

taz291819

Reaction score
Chapman":3gipv498 said:
Tons of states have a Income tax.
I live on the good side of the river in Washington State, but my employer is in Portland Oregon.
So not only do I pay federal income tax, I pay Oregon State income tax, and Sales tax in Washington State.
I really don't have any sympathy for them, and I'm quite happy that the rules apply to everyone.

When we lived in TN, my mother worked on Ft. Campbell. While 3/4 of Ft. Campbell is in TN, the post office and HQ are on the KY side, hence it's Ft. Campbell, KY. She had to pay KY state income taxes (TN doesn't have a state income tax). Them's the breaks!

razor150

Reaction score
Yeah, every state but Washington, Texas and Florida. I just don't understand how this can work since they are taxing people for what amounts to a business trip. Why not start taxing people doing other business as well, or there on vacation? Might as well, imagine the revenue that could bring in.

Davehawk

Reaction score
Yep, happening for years. Pretty sure before Christie was even Gov.

That's pretty crappy though, gotta pay for their nanny states somehow.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Don't the businesses in the cities where the SB is played make a killing off the draw of the game being held there?
Maybe they should hold the Super Bowls games in the Cayman Islands, where the wealthy folks have bank accounts and don't gut dunned to pay taxes.