Rookie Wage Scale Impact - For you salary cap fans

bsuhawk

Reaction score

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's Win forever, though being young forever would be anyone's definition of winning forever lol.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Here's an excerpt of a comment I made just a couple days ago on SDB on this subject:

There is no mistaking, the rookie pay scale is RUINOUS to players. Veterans and rookies alike. It was absolutely awful for the players, more harmful than dropping their overall percentage of revenues. It will no doubt cost a full NFL season and maybe even two. The next CBA will either not have a rookie pay scale or it will be a one year cap.

The rookie cap was billed and sold by the NFL to ‘save’ clubs from draft failures and to redistribute salary from rookies to veterans. Players in the league liked this idea. But this hasn’t happened at all. In fact, predictably just the opposite has happened. Veterans are cut routinely in favor of rookie minimum players. The players were bamboozled in the worst way. There is no hope that the NFL can manage to keep this cap in place.

By the time the next CBA is negotiated, the NFL will be entirely stocked with players whom will all similarly share the intense hatred of the current deal. The entire player pool will be dedicated to going to the mattress to kill the cap. There won’t be a chance to appeal to veteran players to suppress compensation for players not in the league. They will all see the cap for what it is. Player compensation killer and veteran pay killer.

It will be a rookie deal with one year. Allow teams to let busts walk at no financial risk. But year two will be a UFA situation with a right of first refusal for teams. The NFL has essentially guaranteed this with the deal they’ve pulled over the players’ eyes in 2011.

This rookie deal guaranteed players will leave college at their first opportunity. This was done by the NFL themselves. Not agents.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Looks like they did not look at all angles of the agreement. People will always look for the advantage....and the NFL is a business.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How is this different from yours and / or my job?
Every day @ work, I'm asked (to put it nicely) to train cheaper replacements in other countries, other states, or even local contractors with cheaper labor cost and less stringent labor laws than mine. When the time comes, my boss tells me to find another job ... because my current job can be done by someone else who is younger and cheaper.

What I find stunning is that, when fans complain, they always bitch about players who make $$$ ... instead of bitching about owners, who are making a monetary killing. Franchise values are at all time high, coaches salaries are at all time high.
Players simply need to learn to maximize their brand (Sherman), while they are in demand. Because the day they find someone else ... those players will be cut.

Shock2k

Reaction score
What about teams not surviving giving their QB's the big pay day. NE, BAL, DAL, ATL, GB, and on and on.

gulliver

Reaction score
Anybody listen to John Clayton on Wyman Mike & Moore? He weighed in on this a few days back saying he agrees with the rookie rules, and that owners and powers-that-be will NOT be giving up this hard-fought concession anytime soon.

Personally I can't say I know enough to have an opinion on it.

themunn

Reaction score
The problem was never that rookies were being paid too much, it's that teams were tied into cap-killing contracts with players that had not yet proved it at the professional level, so when Oakland signed Jamarcus Russell to a 61 million contract with 32m guaranteed, it made it a nightmare to cut him because of the financial repercussions.

Thus, surely the solution is simple, do something that allows teams to cut players from their rookie contract without cap implications, be it by capping the amount of guaranteed money in line with the current cap, or something else.

Then rookies are free to demand contracts in line with their peers, but should they fail to live up to expectations, can be cut without a second thought.