How do you compare Super Bowl XL with XLVIII?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
For me it's really simple...

Get ready.

I'm only going to post this once.

It's very simple, maybe too simple.

Here it is...

XL = ?

XLVIII = !

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I was nervous with SB40... this time I'm so relaxed... It will be a good game but these Hawks are so much more COMPLETE, and our defense is scalding... now with Percy returning.... aaahhhhhh, baby it's gonna be AWESOME!!!!

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
XL-Surprised and satisfied to be in the SB (still bitter about how it came down,haven't watched it again!)

XXLVII - Expected to be here, Expect us to win!

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
I just feel so much better. The system and culture Pete Carroll and his staff have built creates an atmosphere in which players play BIG in big games. N

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XL* - Seattle was the white hat (good guys)

XXLVII - Seattle is the black hat (the bad guys) who punches Denver in the mouth and steals their girlfriend!

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
o matter what people say, there was always something missing with mike holmgren. There is so much more to football than x's and o's and that's where pete carroll elevates to a higher level.

minormillikin

Reaction score
As far as the Roman numerals go, XL was pretty special. The double meaning of 40 and "extra large" was spectacular. It was particularly great for merchandising.

XLVIII is just not as attractive in print, for sure. Though, educationally, it is much better than XL. We all know how important it is to learn Roman numerals, in order to figure out movie sequels and copyright dates.

I look forward to Super Bowl LIV and LIX especially.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Pete has made this superbowl special both on and off the field. I believe the fans are alot more involved this year and the organization as a whole is FINALLY just clicking, doing things right, and just getting it. If we can keep Pete and Schiender for 5+ more years we will have the same continued success the Pats have had.

sutz

Reaction score
One big thing not mentioned yet is our D-backfield. IIRC, Tru was the only true starter for that game. We were picking up street free agents going into and during the playoffs. If you want to blame one group for the most breakdowns in that "game" it was them.

This year, we're in damn good shape back there.....well, everywhere, actually. :)

OlyHawk

Reaction score
Both in a cold northern city, what a rip to us sunshine deprived fans. (Considering there were several votes that almost put this SB in Tampa).

Just want to win it all this time. I always say one needs to have a great time enjoying the moments, as anything can happen in the game.

Escamillo

Reaction score
tom sawyer":23rk8hzn said:

Get ready.

Here it is...

XL = ?

XLVIII = !

I'm amazed that the ancient Romans did all their architectural engineering using such a horrible numeral system. lol Their numeral system didn't even have the concept of "zero". :0190l:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Escamillo":3vpxzzum said:
tom sawyer":3vpxzzum said:

Get ready.

Here it is...

XL = ?

XLVIII = !

I'm amazed that the ancient Romans did all their architectural engineering using such a horrible numeral system. lol Their numeral system didn't even have the concept of "zero". :0190l:

Exactly what use would 0 have for them? They would use "nulla" the latin word for nothing, or just N.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Something about Carroll reminds me of Bill Walsh in San Fran in the 1980s. Not so much in demeanor but in the way Carroll builds a culture that lets players play, lets them blossom and discover the full extent of their abilities. Walsh ultimately created a system of trust with his men. Carroll does the same. Just looking at Carroll's reaction in that "I just read it" clip with Lynch on the sidelines. After trying to explain the blocking scheme to Marshawn and getting the same "I just read it, coach" response over and over, Carroll turns around laughing, as if to say, "Of course these men know what to do? Who am I to micromanage?"

Holmgren, on the other hand, is a control freak. Watch the NFL Films short abotu the classic playoff game between Holmie's packers and Mooch's 49ers back in the 1990s. At one point, Favre decided to change the play in the huddle without consulting the coach. It resulted in a touchdown. When Favre came off teh field, Holmgren is shooting daggers into his quarterback. Later, in postgame, he said Favre was doing the equivalent of "drawing up plays in the dirt," which pissed Holmie off.

I love both coaches, but the coach in XL was a control freak. As a result, the team got tight when it was hit with crap penalties. The coach in XLVIII is loose, and the team follows his lead.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It seemed like our trip to XL was manufactured, we had a SB experienced coach, a qb who was back-up to Favre.

This time it seems more natural as we grew from the ground up.

grizbob

Reaction score
For me there is no comparison, missed the entire regular season in 05 due to the priority rearrangement called a stroke. Didn't even know the Hawks were in the playoffs till I got out of rehab and back to work only to get kicked in nuts by XL.

To say I'm enjoying this ride would be the understatement of the century :179417: :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'll be relaxed until kickoff Sunday at 3:20 PM.. then I'll be a ball of nerves. :lol:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The difference is that Seattle was the finesse offense coming on a big streak with big offensive numbers and an MVP...now they're the smashmouth defense against the big number offense.