Football Gameplan's Super Bowl XLVIII Preview

EmDiggy

Reaction score
[youtube]04NHFh1B5uo[/youtube]

Good afternoon Seahawk fans! Good luck this week!

Em

kidhawk

Reaction score
Good to see you Em. Good work as always. Missed your take on the NFC Championship matchup vs. the Niners.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, skipped to prediction. :thirishdrinkers:

I rewatched the whole thing; another great breakdown. Thanks for doing your thing my friend, we'll see you next year. :D :D 8)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Em, the Broncos ST <<< Seattle ST. Prater has a great leg, but Hauschka has only missed 2 FGs all year, making that a wash. Furthermore, Holliday no longer punt returns, and even if he did, Seattle's punt return unit is among the all time greats. Also, Seattle's ST is ranked about 18 places higher than the Bronco's.

OP
OP
E

EmDiggy

Reaction score
Thanks Gang! What's your thoughts on the TE play in this game?

nsport

Reaction score
Very underlooked factor I put out there as well (so we agree EmDiggy) - use inside technique in the secondary - force Manning to take the outside-the-hash reads. He's less effective at doing that - and puts our corners and safeties in a position to make a few critical plays in this game.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
EmDiggy":22eok8o1 said:

#31 and the LBs more than hold their own vs TE in coverage , but Welker in the slot makes another coverage problem. Thurmond will have to play well. Blocking TE (run plays) get eaten by Red, Beaten up by Bennett, or just run around by Avril and Clemons.

In offense, we don't know what a TE end is. We use them as another Tackle, but look for at least one clutch third down conversion by a Seahawk TE.

Omaha

Reaction score
Interesting analysis.

On the approach for Denver defense, I would think we want to keep Wilson in the pocket as much as possible. Beyond Trevathan, Denver's front 7 do not have the athleticism the 49ers had to be pursuing Wilson about the field (and even they tired out as the game progressed). This approach may work for a traditional pocket passer, but Wilson is actually quite good (if not a better passer) outside of the pocket and quite used to keeping plays alive by running around. I love Pot Roast, but anyone dreaming of Pot Roast chasing down Wilson should wake up and apologize - it aint gonna happen.

Rather Denver should try to keep Wilson in the pocket and use the LBs to block his passing lanes. Because of his height, Wilson cant see much above his offensive line and relies more on open lanes when in the pocket. Take this away and it will be more difficult for him to make accurate plays down the field. Let him out of the pocket and his lack of height becomes quite irrelevant.

Trevathan would likely be assigned to spy on him in case he attempts to escape the pocket

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":6pkh1gwx said:
Em, the Broncos ST <<< Seattle ST. Prater has a great leg, but Hauschka has only missed 2 FGs all year, making that a wash. Furthermore, Holliday no longer punt returns, and even if he did, Seattle's punt return unit is among the all time greats. Also, Seattle's ST is ranked about 18 places higher than the Bronco's.

Exactly where I was going not even to mention the return of Percy Harvin (excuse the pun) potentially on kickoffs. Also, our KR and PR coverage has been outstanding this year w/ the speeds hits of Lane and now the "Rocket" Lockette.

Overall great break down though and thanx as always.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is nice to know a Czar... :lol:

Seriously though, the Broncos have not faced a defense like Seattles. And Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are playing out of their minds.

Denver needs to keep "the Human Statue" or otherwise known as Manning in a pocket. He cannot run, poses no threat to run and will be looking at a D-Line that works very well as a unit. If we can get pressure rushing 4, then this game is over.

The Hawks have faced the best defenses in the NFL for weeks now and Denvers is hardly that. As you said, RW is going to give them fits and when he does, the Beast is going to wear them down.

Zach Miller could be an x-factor for the Hawks, he is an excellent blocker and has great hands.

kidhawk

Reaction score
EmDiggy":1azcoxdr said:

Honestly I think Miller/Willson could be the difference in this game. I like the way they match up against Denver. When you look at what our defense does to TE week in and week out, I think we should be able to do a pretty good job defending Denver's.

jblaze

Reaction score
No mention of Harvin? Really? Even in the X factor segment? Hmmmm.... He is the definition of X factor in this one.

He also picked the Saints over us on MNF...

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Seattle will get pressure with 4. Maybe not every time and maybe not sacks to show for it, but if Manning doesn't give his guys time to get open he is going to be throwing a lot of incompletions or potentially interceptions.

Denver will get their yards, the question is how many of those yards end up in scoring drives.

I keep hearing about how Denver is playing such great defense in the playoffs. What they aren't saying is that Manning has been protecting them with the TOP. This is something that won't happen against Seattle. Especially with the Hawks running game.

Has anyone mentioned that in the few games that Seattle has actually been down multiple scores in the last 2 years (New England, Skins, Falcons, SF and Tampa) that they have won those games or had a lead late? That is a response to a comment I heard that if the Donks get up 14 that the game is over. Think about that now,

In another perspective does anyone realize that the Hawks have had the lead in the 4th quarter of every game they played this year. That rings true for every game they have played going back to 2012 except for last year at SF. Interesting fact.

kidhawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3ijuht6i said:
Seattle will get pressure with 4. Maybe not every time and maybe not sacks to show for it, but if Manning doesn't give his guys time to get open he is going to be throwing a lot of incompletions or potentially interceptions.

Denver will get their yards, the question is how many of those yards end up in scoring drives.

I keep hearing about how Denver is playing such great defense in the playoffs. What they aren't saying is that Manning has been protecting them with the TOP. This is something that won't happen against Seattle. Especially with the Hawks running game.

Has anyone mentioned that in the few games that Seattle has actually been down multiple scores in the last 2 years (New England, Skins, Falcons, SF and Tampa) that they have won those games or had a lead late? That is a response to a comment I heard that if the Donks get up 14 that the game is over. Think about that now,

In another perspective does anyone realize that the Hawks have had the lead in the 4th quarter of every game they played this year. That rings true for every game they have played going back to 2012 except for last year at SF. Interesting fact.

We've also never lost a game with Wilson as QB by more than 7 points. This means that we are in every single game until the end. If this game turns into a blow out you can count on it not being Seattle on the losing end of it

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1a2zjatj said:

According to DVOA:

Seattle's ST unit ranks #5

Denver ST unit ranks #21

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

Throwdown

Reaction score
Man Emdiggy, if you're right... I dunno you're gonna have to come back here and e-celebrate with us.