Who is quicker as a team... Seattle or Denver?

Inspector

Reaction score
So I took a little time to gather some Seahawks 40 yard dash data online. I'll share it below.

It seems we are a very quick team on average. Anyone have numbers like these for the Broncos?

Offense

Ricardo Lockette 4.34 tied for 4th best in the NFL 2012
Christine Micheal 4.38
Percy Harvin 4.41 official combine but timed as low as 4.33
Golden Tate 4.42
Doug Baldwin 4.42
Marshawn Lynch 4.40
Jermaine Kearse 4.43
Derrick Coleman 4.46
Luke Willson 4.47
Robert Turbin 4.50
Russell Wilson 4.55
Michael Robinson 4.57

Defense

Jeremy Lane 4.42
Earl Thomas 4.43
Byron Maxwell 4.43
Malcolm Smith 4.44
Bobby Wagner 4.46 but he weighs 241!!
Chris Maragos 4.50
Deshawn Shead 4.50
Walter Thurmond 4.53
Richard Sherman 4.54
Kam Chancellor 4.62
KJ Wright 4.65
Chris Clemons 4.68
Cliff Avril 4.72 seems a bit slow until you realize that he weighs 260

HawkWow

Reaction score
We know RW is much quicker than Manning...that alone could prove to be the difference. Really starting to get pumped for this now. It's on.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Reaction score
Another thread got me to thinking about quickness. We have speed too which they don't measure.

Russell is as quick as Sherman. Shmokin quick.

Lockette and Harvin both had incredible 100 and 200 meter times in college so I'd say they both have a high top speed.

All in all, until I see that Denver somehow surpasses these numbers, I'm guessing we must be one of the quicker teams out there this year.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Reaction score
I'd welcome any input from Denver fans so long as it's polite.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
These are the kind of things people read then spew none sense about how tate and db are similar athletes to percy.

With that being said, Idk about running 40s, but my money is on the Hawks as far as game speed goes.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Reaction score
Percy has something more than speed.

And quickness/speed isn't everything. There have been many quick players in the past that didn't amount to squat. That said, if you combine the obvious talent, skill, quickness, and speed, you end up with a pretty rare combination in the Hawks.

themunn

Reaction score
the fact that Lynch timed faster than Harvin in the 40, and only 0.07 seconds slower than "as low as" Harvin has timed shows you all you need to know.

That would suggest that if Harvin was to race Lynch over 40 yards, he'd beat him by less than a yard (at 25 mph, you would cover 0.85 yards in 0.07 seconds).

Omaha

Reaction score
Dont think it would even be close, particularly on defense. The seahawks are more athletic and much younger.

Off the top of my head, Denver's speedsters would be Holiday, DT, Decker, DRC and Carter.

But there is so much more to the game than speed.

BroncosFan

Reaction score
Inspector":oa4yr14o said:

OFFENSE
WR Demaryius Thomas- 4.4
RB Ronnie Hillman- 4.45

DEFENSE
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- 4.29
CB Champ Bailey- 4.28
CB Kayvon Webster- 4.34
CB Tony Carter- 4.43

SPECIAL TEAMS
KR Trindon Holliday- 4.34

I only listed starters or players that may see some good playing time. Those are the elite speed guys on the Broncos team.

Axx

Reaction score
yeah champ doesn't run a 4.28 this year.
I think last year he looks like a 4.5 kind of guy (Based off what i observed in the baltimore game)

HawkWow

Reaction score
BroncosFan":1y8ytjzx said:
Inspector":1y8ytjzx said:

OFFENSE
WR Demaryius Thomas- 4.4
RB Ronnie Hillman- 4.45

DEFENSE
CB Champ Bailey- 4.28
CB Kayvon Webster- 4.34
CB Tony Carter- 4.43

SPECIAL TEAMS

I only listed starters or players that may see some good playing time. Those are the elite speed guys on the Broncos team.

Interesting that your entire set of CBs is faster than Harvin. But I doubt any, other than perhaps DRC, are quite as quick.

Not taking anything away from your group. They are speedsters, but Harvin doesn't use speed to kill, he uses burst. I have no doubt your CBs can run him down from behind, but by the time that happens, 10, 20, 30 yards have been covered, chains are moved and field position is now ours. Add the Beast and our chain moving possession receivers, and you don't know where we're coming from. And even should you force the punt after the next set of downs, our punter is pinning you inside the 10 and (even with Manning) that changes / hinders your offensive strategy.

I know you have an intelligent counter to this...and that, to me, is what makes this match-up so damn intriguing. Pre-game...there is no right or wrong answers. We will only know the truth come final gun.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Dead straight sprint quick is one thing, but it rarely happens. Guys like Welker may not register a quick 40, but his reaction time is amazing. But that said, ask Veltung and James how fast Lockette is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZxxeYChjBc

Oh and on behalf of the big fellas I'm disappointed to not see Red and Mebane's times listed for our defense.

Breaker

Reaction score
HawkWow":51499afp said:
BroncosFan":51499afp said:
Inspector":51499afp said:

OFFENSE
WR Demaryius Thomas- 4.4
RB Ronnie Hillman- 4.45

DEFENSE
CB Champ Bailey- 4.28
CB Kayvon Webster- 4.34
CB Tony Carter- 4.43

SPECIAL TEAMS

Interesting that your entire set of CBs is faster than Harvin. But I doubt any, other than perhaps DRC, are quite as quick.

Not taking anything away from your group. They are speedsters, but Harvin doesn't use speed to kill, he uses burst. I have no doubt your CBs can run him down from behind, but by the time that happens, 10, 20, 30 yards have been covered, chains are moved and field position is now ours. Add the Beast and our chain moving possession receivers, and you don't know where we're coming from. And even should you force the punt after the next set of downs, our punter is pinning you inside the 10 and (even with Manning) that changes / hinders your offensive strategy.

I know you have an intelligent counter to this...and that, to me, is what makes this match-up so damn intriguing. Pre-game...there is no right or wrong answers. We will only know the truth come final gun.

I think these are wrong for our players. According to the combine stats, here are the 40's from the combine for each team by Matchup:

Demaryius Thomas (4.38) vs Richard Sherman (4.54) - Difference .16
Eric Decker (4.54) vs Walter Thurmond (4.53) - Difference .01
Wes Welker (4.65) vs Jeremy Lane (4.52) - DIfference - .13

Total Difference - .02 Advantage Denver
---------------------------------------------
Other Broncos

Trindon Holliday (4.34)
Andre Caldwell (4.37)
Julius Thomas (4.57)
Montee Ball (4.66)
Knowshown Moreno (4.55)
Ronnie Hillman (4.45)

Total 26.94

Kam Chancellor (4.62)
Earl Thomas (4.43)
Byron Maxwell (4.43)
Malcom Smith (4.44)
Bobby Wagner (4.46)
Parrish Cox (4.58)

Total 26.96

Percy Harvin (4.41) vs DRC (4.29)
Golden Tate (4.42) vs Champ Bailey (4.28)
Ricardo Lockette (4.34) vs Tony Carter (4.43)

Others:

Zach Miller (4.72)
Marshawn Lynch (4.46)
Robert Turbin (4.6)
Christine Michael (4.43)

Mike Adams (4.60)
Duke Inehancho (4.66)
Danny Trevathan (4.67)

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Screw these numbers.

Did anyone watch that AFCG? It was like watching a bunch of old ladies sand bag a marathon.

Seattle is by far the faster/quicker team on the field.

aulaza

Reaction score
40 times are overrated. And there's definitely no point in using times clocked 15 years ago.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think anyone who watched both conference championship games would tell you that there was a noticeable difference in on-field speed between the two games. The players in the AFC game moved like molasses in comparison to their NFC counterparts.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Champ Bailey is lucky to still run 4.5, don't come in here selling his time from when he was 21.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3l3146fj said:
Any have short shuttle times?

This to me, is arguably the most important gauge of football speed unless were talking return men or one-trick go route guys like Wallace. But trying to explain the significance between fast and quick, and why quick is preferable in football, is no easy task. ; )