Why have the Hawks scaled back the read-option play?

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Last year, Wilson used to run the read-option much more often than he has the last half of this season. Russell also used to sprint off to the side after the mesh even if Lynch had the ball. Sometimes he'd sprint 10 yards down field on a fake. There were also many more planned sprint-out and rollouts.

This year, he's passed up countless opportunities to sprint right or left after the mesh even when the side of the field was wide open.

Why the sudden drop-off?

Possible Reasons:

1. The coaches have told him not to do read-option runs, or they're simply not calling them. Fair enough. If so, is this because they're afraid of Wilson getting clobbered or because they're happy w/ the production they're getting from Lynch?

2. Defenses have figured out how to stop Seattle's version of the read-option, and have adjusted accordingly. Therefore, read-option runs are simply not...errr...an option. Maybe DE's learned how to be more patient and stay in their lanes, so the coaches have just given up calling read-option plays except as gadget plays.

3. Wilson is not seeing the lane during the mesh the way he did last year. Is this just a typical sophomore slump? Something else?

It's hard to argue with success, and apparently the Hawks have done just fine without the read-option. But it does seem like they're leaving behind a VERY sharp arrow when they head out on the hunt.

Shock2k

Reaction score
I think they are pushing him into a scrambling pocket passer sooner then later. To me it seems they are fanatical about Russell not running.

Just an opinion. All I know is they definitely are not running him anymore. Though I wonder if that would change if we fall behind in the SB.

OP
OP
Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
I hope the Hawk are more pro-active about running the read option early instead of letting the score dictate the read-option. (Unless the score is 0-0)

Most of Kaepernick's big runs came in the 1st half.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think they scaled it back so they could break it out this Sunday and embarrass the Broncos with it who will just look silly trying to defend it. And if you think about it, the times they did use it were against looser appearing defenses. None of that was happening in the last 4-6 games. Niners want to hit the QB on the fake, Saints too, Cards too... Yeah, best put that away against those teams. But The Donks gaping gash of a defense? The Hawks may not repeat the same play twice the entire game with the exception of the R/O.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
When the NFL said QBs faking the read option were fair game even if they handed the ball off, they put a damper on it. In our 2nd game of the year, Ahmad Brooks crushed Wilson long after he let the ball go (giving up 17 yards to Lynch in their zeal to hit Russell), and since we have been sparing with it, using it only on occasion for a few teams. Russell took too many hits this year, and the last thing he needed was a few extra hits running the ball.

That said, I expect to see it in the Super Bowl a handful of times. All season teams have had the DE or LB crash down on Lynch, but scraped a LB or S over the top to spy Russell. With Harvin on the field, the safety will have to divide attention.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":3rlo7pld said:
I hope the Hawk are more pro-active about running the read option early instead of letting the score dictate the read-option. (Unless the score is 0-0)

Most of Kaepernick's big runs came in the 1st half.

when he did it as a planned run. He had some big runs on breakdowns.. couple missed tackles too. Elusive SOB.. No wonder everyone wants to hit Russell when they get the chance.

Wartooth

Reaction score
If The Bronco's leave as much grass in front of Russell as they did Brady, he'll be running!
He won't pass up huge chunks if it's there, not in this game, not with what's on the line.
I think Pete will let Russell play this game his way...Unchained.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Russell cannot be as hesitant as it seems he has been of late. He has to be to go and just play football like the 2nd half of last season and the earlier part of this season. If he sees someone open, let it rip, if there is a big run lane for him, take advantage of it.

OP
OP
Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Wartooth":1n85ib62 said:
I think Pete will let Russell play this game his way...Unchained.

I hope so, because my theory all along has been that Wilson has been told (explicitly) NOT to run, at least from the read-option.

On a side note, I think the Pete Carroll has the type of personality to open things up in the Big Dance. He's always been aggressive, and he recognizes that in the playoffs you need to turn things up a notch. So why not unchain Wilson from the pocket?

By contrast, John "Turtle Neck" Fox is very likely to go all conservative at a key point in the game, maybe electing to punt on 4th and 1 when Carroll would just send in Lynch and say: "Get me 1 damn yard!"

gocougs789

Reaction score
I'd like to see the read option used more inside the 5. We tend to want to bring in two TE and smash the ball up the middle which doesn't work. Spread the field them give it to marshawn and let him do his work.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Could be all those good defenses they have played the last month or so of the season and in the playoffs.

Jac

Reaction score
It is pretty remarkable that we've just come off a stretch against defenses that are #4, #5, #8, #6, #15 (which underrates Rams in some regard), #4, and #5. Even more remarkable that four of those games involved division opponents, who play ultra physical ball and know us better than the rest of the league. Then, you throw in New Orleans which had the benefit of playing us the second time around. This could actually be the game where Russell is unleashed.

diehardnyfan

Reaction score
I think they are containing Wilson to keep him from getting broke. I have seen many times he could have ran the ball but continued to look for an open reciever down field or threw it away to avoid being sacked. It's hard to watch because you know Wilson want's to explode down the field. I hope they let him play his game on Sunday! I think Letting him run the read option will be a huge difference in 3rd down conversions. It will also help with time of posession and keep Manning off the field. Its the Superbowl!!! Wilson gonna bring it!

samwize77

Reaction score
I just don't like his trend of late, running backwards. Sometimes to far backwards.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think it has to do with the OL injuries this year. Wilson has been hit a ton and I think he's gotten a little trigger happy with his scrambling. If I recall correctly there was a point in the season when it seemed he didn't even want to talk to the OL in a few games. They are probably just trying to minimize the hits he's taking. I'm sure they'll break it out a bit more now because what have they got to lose?

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
Shock2k":2hmap055 said:
I think they are pushing him into a scrambling pocket passer sooner then later. To me it seems they are fanatical about Russell not running.

Just an opinion. All I know is they definitely are not running him anymore. Though I wonder if that would change if we fall behind in the SB.

I got the same feeling. I think it comes down to ball protection, and being a "safer" offense.

As a scrambling pocket passer, he reminds me so much of Doug Flutie.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I think as Scottemojo pointed out, as soon as they became fair game and Russell started getting beat up, Pete and Bevell made the change. All you had to do is look at RGIII now VS when he came into the league to see how dire the consequences can be for not protecting your young QB. I think RGIII may have shortened his career by several years in doing so. We haven't seen the last of the Read Option but I think our use of it will evolve as defenses scheme it accordingly. Especially with the triple threat of Lynch, Harvin and Wilson in the backfield.