Manning vs Wilson (explosives)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Contrary to my thinking, Manning has passed (and completed) passes for 20+ on a little more than 10% of his attempts (68/659). Russell Wilson has completed on a little more than 12% (49/407). If anyone can point me to passing stats (completion percentage by range, etc), I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, of those 68 completions for 20+ yards, only 7 of them were attempted when Denver had fewer than 7 yards to go. 61/68 came (for the most part) on 1st or 2nd down with more than 7 yards to go, the vast majority of which were in the 7-10 yard range.

Russell Wilson has completed for 20+ on 16 occasions with fewer than 7 yards to go. As you can see, Russell tends to take more shots when he does throw the ball.

I'd asked Scotte about what he saw when watching Denver play against SD and NE and one of the things he'd mentioned was Manning's lack of deep passes. Mentioned that he thought we might see Earl playing closer to the LOS due to this fact.

Based on what I see in Manning's tendencies, it seems like that might be a pretty safe bet (in certain down and distance situations). If You see Denver with a down and distance of less than 7 yards, keep an eye on Earl. I wonder if they try to squeeze that short to mid-range a bit and force Peyton to try something over the top on the outside.

Scotte feel free to speak up if I've misrepresented what you had to say in any way. When I hear these things I try to see if I can find data to support it and in this case, I was surprised to see that Peyton has gone deep as often as he has. I did glance through the individual plays and most of them were deep passes, not short passes that resulted in big YAC.

Russell tends to go deep at a higher ratio but gets fewer YAC out of his receivers on short to mid-range passes.