Kam and KJ vs. Julius Thomas

SonomaHawk

Reaction score
This article basically says that Kam Chancellor and KJ Wright can not combine to contain Julius Thomas when Denver looks to isolate him
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/28/super-bow ... receivers/

Do you all think that he is that much more difficult of a match-up than Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis, both of whom we easily handled? Is there something about Denver's use of him, as compared to NO and SF use of Graham and Davis that makes this a troublesome match up?

I guess if it comes down to personnel here, I'm not that worried about it.

OP
OP
SonomaHawk

SonomaHawk

Reaction score
And yes, I am one of those fans that says "we" when talking about the Seahawks play on the field. Deal with it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Graham and Davis were matchup nightmares for defenses this year.

Graham is very quick for his size and he's huge at 6'8". Davis is blazing fast; the fastest TE in the NFL. If we can man up and neutralize these guys, we shouldn't have a problem with Thomas. Graham got figured out 3/4 of the way through the year. Kaepernick did more to eliminate Davis from the gameplan than Davis did.

It's more about Manning's ability to find Thomas. I don't care who you are, you're going to get alligator arms when Kam smacks you a few times ala Vernon Davis. Crabtree, Davis and Boldin are more physical than D. THomas, Decker and J. Thomas (not saying D. Thomas isn't physical, but the other 2 aren't) and the only one that didn't shortarm receptions is Boldin.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Not a terrible article... Author seems to have done some homework and makes some pretty good points, but he's horribly underestimating KJ and Kam in coverage and isn't giving enough credit to Earl's ability to cover ground to help out over the top. He's making out like those two are completely incapable of covering Orange Julius if PeyPey can isolate him with the trips +1 look. I disagree. The author has watched a little bit of Hawks tape, but not enough to get a real understanding of what those two are capable of. If beating this secondary was as simple as running trips +1, it would have been done a long time ago. "I'm Jimmy" and VD are every bit the TE's Orange Julius is, if not better. He isn't some magic bullet that's going to slay the LoB. Sorry, please try again.

Author says we haven't seen too much trips +1 this year. Anyone have access to the all-22 and too much time on their hands that could look into it? Roland maybe?

lsheldon

Reaction score
I wish I could find the article I read a couple days ago on D. Thomas. They were saying he played his best game when he can create separation, and that he has trouble with physical DB's when he is forced to compete for the ball.

Eldorado

Reaction score
I'm not buying that shit at all. What Kam did to VD and JG was nothing less than a curb stomping, and I don't think there is ANYONE with an IQ higher than a potato that would claim JT is more physical than those two. Only way JT catches more than 3 balls is if Carroll out thinks himself and tries to get fancy with match ups. Let Kam do his job and concentrate on the WRs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is just silly, guy basically contradicted himself.

"This is the beauty of an overloaded trips 3 x 1 set: beyond creating favorable matchups, it forces the defense to reveal its coverage before the snap (particularly when the defense runs a straightforward, execution-based scheme like Seattle does). "

You can't get the team to "reveal it's coverage" when the defense doesn't hide it's coverage but instead relies on "execution."

seedhawk

Reaction score
He did say IF we move all our corners to the trip side. We do not do that. Denver brings this look, either Max or Sherm will have Thomas in man.

Reaction score
SonomaHawk":v0hql1fg said:
This article basically says that Kam Chancellor and KJ Wright can not combine to contain Julius Thomas when Denver looks to isolate him
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/28/super-bow ... receivers/

Do you all think that he is that much more difficult of a match-up than Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis, both of whom we easily handled? Is there something about Denver's use of him, as compared to NO and SF use of Graham and Davis that makes this a troublesome match up?

I guess if it comes down to personnel here, I'm not that worried about it.

Like most articles written this week it makes a lot of assumptions. How do they know it will definitely be KJ and Kam. Could be Bruce Irvin for all we know. He played "I'm Jimmy" pretty well.
Bruce Irvin 40 time 4.5
Julius Thomas 40 time 4.64

CANHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3qn9tq6m said:
This is just silly, guy basically contradicted himself.

"This is the beauty of an overloaded trips 3 x 1 set: beyond creating favorable matchups, it forces the defense to reveal its coverage before the snap (particularly when the defense runs a straightforward, execution-based scheme like Seattle does). "

You can't get the team to "reveal it's coverage" when the defense doesn't hide it's coverage but instead relies on "execution."

mmmmmmm....... yes and no. Yes we tend to keep it relatively simple, we don't really run a lot of exotic zone blitz stuff, so here isn't anything to take advantage of as far as LB's vacating an area or leaving guys uncovered in order to blitz. But as i understand it (in my ignorant neophyte 3 down, played too much Madden football brain) we do tend to do two things on defense and they are fundamentally different. We either play a press man cover 1, which leaves ET as the single high safety and requires the corners to play bump and run man to man coverage. OR we play a 3 deep zone, which leaves Maxwell, ET and Sherman covering deep 1/3s of the field with Kam and KJ/WT3 filling in the short zones (with LB's playing zone in the middle). The 3 deep zone requires the corners to play a bump and bail kind of coverage; they jam hard at the line, then haul ass back deep into their 1/3, (whereas the bump and run they jam, then play tight man.).

What I'm getting at is if they overload WRs on one side, both corners would theoretically be on the same side of the field in cover 1 as they'd follow their assignment. If they're playing 3DZ, nobody moves regardless of that the offense does. So, theoritically, PeyPey could diagnose what kind of coverage we're in based on who goes where vs. the trips +1 look and possibly do his "check check chek Omaha" jig jog into something to take advantage of what we're doing. There ARE holes in the 3DZ, and the Cover 1 is vulnerable to the dink n dunk. He will do his jig jog and he will take advantage. Anyone who thinks PeyPey isn't going to get yards is fooling themselves.

We'll bend, but we won't break. Think that last drive vs. SF. Things will look a lot like that on Sunday. I just don't think he's going to be able to convert a lot of those yards into 7 points though. Denver's going to be trading fieldgoals for touchdowns vs. this team and that's why they'll fail.