End of season Offensive performance

coach78

Reaction score
During this offensive "sputter" by the hawks, was Jermaine Kearse's injury a factor? I know that he had an ankle sprain that kept him out of some games and limited his productivity in others. Seemed to coincide with the offensive struggles. Considering we were already down Rice and Harvin - just thought? I know he was full strength during the New Orleans game, but I thought that was more due to weather conditions.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
If scoring 23 points against top 5 defenses is a sputter, then what is it to score less than 27 against bottom 10 defenses?

OP
OP
C

coach78

Reaction score
My bad, maybe I should put sputter in quotation marks. Oh, wait, I did. I personally thought the way we've played the last couple of games is good football, but would like to see us finish more of our drives. Not having Rice, Harvin, and Kearse to open up the offense could be a problem. I think having him available in the San Fran game was very helpful.

I live in Southern Cal and am not able to see all the games (too cheap to get Sunday Ticket). I know that when in the game Kearse seems to be one of our better vertical threats. Without him, maybe it did limit our ability to make some of those explosive plays.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Our sputter was our red zone conversion rate, which is horrible.

Some of that can be attributed to playing better defenses but hopefully this additional time rest/addition of Percy fixes some of that. Some is just our guys have to play better when we get close to scoring.

formido

Reaction score
coach78":2od4o7a8 said:
My bad, maybe I should put sputter in quotation marks. Oh, wait, I did. I personally thought the way we've played the last couple of games is good football, but would like to see us finish more of our drives. Not having Rice, Harvin, and Kearse to open up the offense could be a problem. I think having him available in the San Fran game was very helpful.

I live in Southern Cal and am not able to see all the games (too cheap to get Sunday Ticket). I know that when in the game Kearse seems to be one of our better vertical threats. Without him, maybe it did limit our ability to make some of those explosive plays.

Sunday Ticket only cost $99 this year. If you're invested enough to post on a fan site, I'm amazed it's not worth that to you.

OP
OP
C

coach78

Reaction score
formido":1g4w5ml6 said:
coach78":1g4w5ml6 said:

Sunday Ticket only cost $99 this year. If you're invested enough to post on a fan site, I'm amazed it's not worth that to you.

I guess I'm a cheap bas**rd. I prefer the word frugal. :)

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The red zone and 3rd down conversion issues are the deal. They move the ball, but those two areas have been problematic.

The biggest issue for our offense down the stretch has been the quality of defenses we have played. It has been almost a Murderers Row... go back and look at where they ranked starting from the first Saints game on. Tough, tough stretch.

What we need to focus on is the improvement in the running game the last four games (playoffs included). Beast is on a roll, and that's helping our passing game in hitting some big plays when we need it (the 51-yard bomb to Baldwin and the Kearse TD in the NFC Championship as examples).

The offense isn't as awful as it's being portrayed, especially with the run game getting yards against good defenses.

Denver's defense is not on the level of the likes of SF, New Orleans, Arizona and St. Louis. We will move the ball...we just need to capitalize, especially playing a Manning led offense.

OP
OP
C

coach78

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2301tnml said:
The red zone and 3rd down conversion issues are the deal. They move the ball, but those two areas have been problematic.

The biggest issue for our offense down the stretch has been the quality of defenses we have played. It has been almost a Murderers Row... go back and look at where they ranked starting from the first Saints game on. Tough, tough stretch.

What we need to focus on is the improvement in the running game the last four games (playoffs included). Beast is on a roll, and that's helping our passing game in hitting some big plays when we need it (the 51-yard bomb to Baldwin and the Kearse TD in the NFC Championship as examples).

The offense isn't as awful as it's being portrayed, especially with the run game getting yards against good defenses.

Denver's defense is not on the level of the likes of SF, New Orleans, Arizona and St. Louis. We will move the ball...we just need to capitalize, especially playing a Manning led offense.

I know the defenses have been very good - just thought that being down 3 of our starting caliber WR would definitely have some impact on our offensive production - especially in the Red Zone. Puts a major limit on formations and creating match up problems for the opposition - especially when they are such good defenses. Just haven't seen anything about the absence of Kearse being a possible factor. Just my observation that I would think it would be - considering that we were already down Rice and without Harvin. Basically limits us to 2 WR sets - both of whom are more short/intermediate threats + YAC, not known to take the top off.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
categories are oppoonents defensive rankings, purple = top 8 in the league in that category red = top half

EJjkfyT

OP
OP
C

coach78

Reaction score
I have no doubt that we actually match up pretty well, and have played some good to great defenses. I just think that the addition of Kearse (and now Harvin) will add significantly to our production. Especially against a defense that is not of the same strength as the last 7 weeks.