On The Lynch Fiasco

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
First off, I am adding the word "Boss" to my everyday vernacular.

I know we are discussing this Ad Nauseum, but I felt compelled to say something that may deserve its own thread. Now I don't know this for absolute sure, none of us do, but if I were a betting man, I would say that Lynch suffers from a form of generalized anxiety. The reason I say that is because I have lived with anxiety since I was a teenager. My specific phobia is speaking in public. Or more specifically, having to address a group of people whether it is on the job, or speaking in front of a crowd for any reason. One thing I have heard over and over is, "How can you be a lead singer in a rock band yet have a fear of public speaking?"

It's a valid question but one I always had an answer to. On stage, with the power of my music and vocals, that was MY comfort zone. I could address the crowd in MY comfort zone. Remove me from that comfort zone (for instance, having to give a speech to a crowd with no music, or not being able to sing) and it would be debilitating on a level only those with the same anxiety could understand. Lynch's comfort zone, or stage, is obviously the football field.

I do understand I have no way to know for sure if that has anything to do with Lynch's aversion to the media but I have been studying his body language very closely this week and I would bet money it is part of it. I have nothing but compassion and empathy for anyone that suffers from social anxiety, in any of its manifestations and levels. I've lived with this for over half of my life and in the moments it has become a problem, it's horrific.

While I do appreciate the NFL's position to a degree (If they allow exceptions, what would stop any and all players from choosing not to speak to the media?), there should be exceptions, especially if we are talking about someone like Lynch who has made it painfully clear just how much he doesn't want to speak to the media.

Clayton and company? You can kiss my hairy ass. I hope to God Lynch goes BEAST MODE ALL DAY LONG SUNDAY!

Lynch, we love ya, Boss!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
My most fervent wish.

Seattle wins. Lynch is so dominant that even the media pukes who hate him have no choice but to vote for him. He steps to the mike, grabs his junk, and says" Disneyland sucks".

chris98251

Reaction score
Good post and insight Aros!

On another note...............

You can kiss my hairy ass.

I guess all is not lost, glad you still have your hair :)........................................somewhere.

mackfan38

Reaction score
Could Lynch sue the NFL for forcing him to speak against his will?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I just think it is sad that someone who doesn't want to talk to the media is forced to.

We hype all day long about freedom of speech and how people have the right to say what they want...but what about the people who DON'T want to say anything. They get fined? They aren't allowed to be quiet?

I just think it is a shame the media is trying to make Lynch out to be the "bad guy" because he doesn't want to use his right to be quiet.

Wartooth

Reaction score
You would think that the Donko's would be telling the media to leave Marshawn alone!
They're just pissing him off!

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Aros":25yg0mzo said:
Clayton and company? You can kiss my hairy ass. I hope to God Lynch goes BEAST MODE ALL DAY LONG SUNDAY!

Lynch, we love ya, Boss!

Asfs2NC

Couldn't have said it better!

I think I need to shave though.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
I agree Aros. I too suffer from social anxiety. Some days are better than others but there's times when I've willingly stayed at home just to avoid being around other people. Forcing myself to go to work on days like that close to impossible and based on Marshawn's body language I would agree that it seems like he might be suffering with something similar, for which I am nothing but empathetic towards. If the media can't understand that, or worse yet, continue to DEMAND their "due" despite such a condition then they're heartless. The man is paid to play football, not to appease the media who hide behind their "bridge to the fans" crutch. While he may be contractually obligated, the NFL should seriously investigate whether forcing somebody to comply to a standard when it is clear they are uncomfortable should continue to be mandated, especially in this new era of player safety. Mental health is just as important as their physical health. I know from experience.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ricky Williams, the #1 pick for the Saints had this. People called him eccentric, but he did things like doing interviews in front of his locker with his helmet on and stuff like that.

He revealed his problem years later. They gave him a drug for it, but it made him feel doped up and slow, so he resorted to marijuana. It's also why he retired, then decided to come back. The best way for him to deal with an issue that the NFL forced him to deal with (media) was illegal by NFL rules and he was getting punished for it. Then, on top of that, everyone from fans to media ripped him for positive drug tests, calling him a pothead.

Lynch looks like he has a lot of anxiety up there, so I wouldn't doubt if Aros was right. I honestly hope he comes out with it, then does something funny like suing the NFL for screwing with his "handicap".

253hawk

Reaction score
I hope Lynch goes for 200+ yards, breaking Timmy Smith's SB record and gets the MVP in the process.

chet380

Reaction score
Clayton can kiss off any media cooperation with Hawks players in the future.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":mux4eus1 said:
My most fervent wish.

Seattle wins. Lynch is so dominant that even the media pukes who hate him have no choice but to vote for him. He steps to the mike, grabs his junk, and says" Disneyland sucks".
"I'm going to Oakland!"
And on behalf of the Roland I would like to inform you that the abbreviation for microphone is 'mic'
Good day sir.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I was also a performer on stage as a lead singer for years, I also was a DJ in radio broadcasting for a number of years, and I totally understand.... I have always been in prime time when I'm the one in control of the situation, but when I have been on the other side being interviewed I didn't feel comfortable and stage fright set in immediately... Didn't understand it, but when I was being interviewed I was out of my comfort zone and not in my Headline zone... Never felt comfortable and wasn't myself when put in the position of somebody else controlling the moment and asking me questions... When I'm in my zone at the moment, I always thought I could compete with anyone... Still do as long as I can put myself in a certain attitude at the time to deliver what I believe is needed... I'm on the Lynch Bandwagon Boss!!! GO HAWKS!!! :thirishdrinkers:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm glad Marshawn knows we have his back too. No Seahawks fan is asking him to change, and I'm glad he's aware of that fact.

Sac

Reaction score
There's no fiasco. This bullshit is, whatever you want to make of it. Another reason for haters to hate. That's all.

Polaris

Reaction score
chet380":3uhspf2u said:
Clayton can kiss off any media cooperation with Hawks players in the future.

I am not sure I'd go that far, but I think it's very fair to say that the Seahawk players and organization will remember this and will remember who had Lynch's back and who didn't.....and will find ways to make said displeasure known.

Clayton isn't stupid. He has to know this. He's harming his own ability to get inside information (which he depends on) out of a 'stand of principle' and can't see he's on the wrong side of it. I think Clayton is still losing his temper and isn't thinking clearly. If he were, he wouldn't be pushing this.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Based on the comments on the ESPN article about his press conference today, Lynch is getting overwhelming support from fans of all teams (including Broncos and 49ers fans). Former players seem to get it. His coaches and teammates obviously get it. The league even seems to get it (to a degree). Clayton is the one who initially blew this up, and the rest of the NFL writers sensed blood and followed suit. I think those guys have put a black eye on "media day" and how it's perceived by the general public. It has been a terrible week for the image of "journalism."