Danny O'Neil for the Win

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You know what? I'm tired of people that have a problem with <random writer>. Every single NFL writer in existence has written both crap and excellence. We shouldn't feel obligated to say "I know it's <random writer>, but..." when posting some article. If the article is good and worthy of its own accord, I don't care if it's written by a 10-year-old.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2z4ngc8r said:
You know what? I'm tired of people that have a problem with <random writer>. Every single NFL writer in existence has written both crap and excellence. We shouldn't feel obligated to say "I know it's <random writer>, but..." when posting some article. If the article is good and worthy of its own accord, I don't care if it's written by a 10-year-old.

I like it, I'm with you... Boss.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Good job, Danny.

I don't have a problem with him. I simply don't enjoy the show nearly as much when Brock isn't there to sort of rein him in. Hey, Roland... did I use "rein" properly?

kearly

Reaction score
I don't care much for O'Neil. I think he's kind of an idiot, and I think he's dragging down Brock's radio show. I even disagree with much of his take in this article. The part I agree with is that several reporters are being selfish,entitled dicks about all of this, with no consideration whatsoever for Lynch's feelings or personality quirks. Where I disagree is that these Lynch interviews are great. They aren't. They suck. It's actually painful to watch Lynch up there because I know Lynch isn't having any fun. If he's not having any fun, I don't really understand why we should be having fun watching him. "Torture" is way too strong a word, but I feel it's on that side of the spectrum.

I actually almost never have a problem with talking heads or radio guys, even though I think most of them are just of average intelligence. O'neil is a nice, hell, gregarious guy, but I just hate how he turns every topic into a brainless media talking point. Just lately, he said that Brady was clearly better than Manning because of the rings. My jaw dropped, but really he says stupid shit like that at least once every show so I really shouldn't even be surprised anymore. Honestly, there's dumb and then there's "angry button" dumb. And I don't know if I've heard anyone else on local radio that's ever pushed that angry button more for me.

I know Mike Sando is kind of bland, but man, if they could replace O'Neil for Sando the show would be 100 times smarter.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Danny is awesome.....and that was great writing and insight.

fan f'ingtastic work Danny

Largent80

Reaction score
O'Neil is a gigantic meh for me. I agree with Kearly about undermining Brock a lot on the show. This piece is ok, which is about 90% of what he writes, ok, but nothing we don't already know.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It's still weak. They are dancing around one of their own on this.

Everyone at the 710 affiliate is afraid to take on John Clayton and his tattle tale vendetta.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I think the Brock & Danny show, with Wassell, is well-run and entertaining. Maybe that's because the train wreck that is Groz afterward hits that "angry button" dumb level for me.

As for this article, I like that Danny points out reporters are supposed to be observers, not participants. The whole media day thing has gone too far and so many of those "reporters" are unqualified to put pen to paper. It has become an excuse for every idiot with any media outlet to abandon all common sense in favor of sensational kid-in-a-candy-shop style goofiness.

And in Danny's defense, he's not the only one thinking that interview with Deion was good stuff. NFLN played it about a dozen times yesterday and Marshawn's "About that action, boss" has gone viral. The two times with dozens of cameras and microphones in his face were painful, though.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Ok, just after I typed that I heard Terrell Davis (I think) say on NFLN that Marshawn should find a media member he trusts, talk with him, and send it out. HE DID THAT! The Silver article? Like yesterday? Two days ago? And nobody corrected him. Are these people even paying attention? Jerry Rice just talked about what Marshawn should do (which is the exact opposite of what he's always done -- so yeah, good idea to change everything just before the biggest game, frikkin' moron). These people have no clue.

So many mediots.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Did you hear anyone asking Manning or any of the other Bronco's players their opinion about Strippers, Ped's or any of the other stupid bile being ladeled onto the Seahawks in all this? No. There is clear and present bias in the media and despite his outward appearance, demeanor and vocabulary, Marshawn is no ones fool....Boss!

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
If this is the article about Marshawn & the media (and I'm at work--they block mynorthwest.com so I have to read it on my phone so forgive me if it's not that article), I am really impressed with Danny. Largely because he just took a HUGE swipe at the Professor, who he talks to weekly and has to have a working relationship quite often.

Good for you Danny boy!

Bprez3

Reaction score
Clayton is the "face" of Marshawn vs the media. I'm sure Clayton has been bullied since birth and this is a way for him to feel good about himself by bullying Lynch.

Lanakila

Reaction score
I like Danny. He is very smart and pretty eloquent. I can see why some people don't like him; he ha a certain annoyingness about him but I think for the most part he knows what he is talking about. He is still learning about being on radio and developing a style.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1jrfgi0v said:

I dare you to find something excellent Terry Blount has written.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":2hx1azp7 said:
I don't care much for O'Neil. I think he's kind of an idiot, and I think he's dragging down Brock's radio show. I even disagree with much of his take in this article. The part I agree with is that several reporters are being selfish,entitled dicks about all of this, with no consideration whatsoever for Lynch's feelings or personality quirks. Where I disagree is that these Lynch interviews are great. They aren't. They suck. It's actually painful to watch Lynch up there because I know Lynch isn't having any fun. If he's not having any fun, I don't really understand why we should be having fun watching him. "Torture" is way too strong a word, but I feel it's on that side of the spectrum.

I actually almost never have a problem with talking heads or radio guys, even though I think most of them are just of average intelligence. O'neil is a nice, hell, gregarious guy, but I just hate how he turns every topic into a brainless media talking point. Just lately, he said that Brady was clearly better than Manning because of the rings. My jaw dropped, but really he says stupid shit like that at least once every show so I really shouldn't even be surprised anymore. Honestly, there's dumb and then there's "angry button" dumb. And I don't know if I've heard anyone else on local radio that's ever pushed that angry button more for me.

I know Mike Sando is kind of bland, but man, if they could replace O'Neil for Sando the show would be 100 times smarter.

I'm almost in complete agreement. I loved the Deion interview and think the rest of the mediots should have taken a cue from PrimeTime.

Danny occassionally comes up with something good, but he has an arrogance about him and that phony laugh annoys the hell out of me. I love listening to Brock but O'Neill grates on me. And he is the king of hyperbole. Somebody called in to make a point and Danny berated them, it was lowly and pathetic. He reminds me of a little ankle-biter pomeranian.

On NFL Live last night the announcer said "Lynch said it was the Seattle Media complaining to the NFL that put him in this predicament."

I wonder if danny was one of them and is now trying to cover his ass? I'm positive Clayton was in there because he was whining saying Marshawn was an embarrassment and when they asked where he was he said "I'm in my room." He forgot to add "sulking and pouting."

Really Clayton? You don't get the great interview you planned on, so you leave the festivities and go to your room and throw yourself on the bed and cry? :34853_doh:

ivotuk

Reaction score
However...I did love this part of the article:

"But the complaints about Lynch's 7 minutes worth of answers during the 60-minute media session should not be mistaken for journalistic principles. Trying to get big brother – in this case Daddy Goodell – to take a bit out of Lynch's pocket is like asking Dad to make the neighbor kid share all of his Legos with you.

The absurdity of the whole situation is best embodied by the fact that it's the reporters themselves – moreso than the public they purport to inform – who are the ones most vocal in the criticism of Lynch's lack of involvement.

Lynch pointed out this paradox in a way only he could on Wednesday.

"If y'all say y'all is our bridge from the players to the fans, and the fans aren't tripping, then what's the point?" he asked. "What's the purpose? They've got my back and I appreciate that, but I don't get what's the bridge then built for."

Journalists are observers, not participants. To appeal to the league for a punishment from an agreement that journalists are not party to nor are they governed by, well, that's not journalism, that's being a tattle tale."

Hear that John Clayton?