Depth & Resiliency

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
For me, the most impressive aspect of this team this season has been its depth and resiliency – from gutting out the injury war of attrition to getting handed a brutal first-half schedule to absorbing every opponent’s "best shot" since we transitioned from hunter to hunted. To earn a berth in the Super Bowl, this team had to endure much adversity. The fact they did speaks to the collective mental toughness and preparation by the coaching staff in building this roster.

One thing that hasn’t gotten any talk this week in the national spotlight is the extent of injuries they had to work around in order to finish 13-3 and earn home field advantage. Yes, every team has injuries…but I would argue the combination of injuries we had with regards to how our team is constructed would have impacted any other team much more severely. Our depth (a Pete Carroll and John Schneider imperative since Day 1) and quality of coaching allowed us to not only survive, but thrive.

We played without our franchise left tackle (Russell Okung) for half the season, forcing a player not suited for that position (Paul McQuistan) into full-time starting duty, and against some pretty stiff defenses. Our All Pro center (Max Unger) missed three games. Our starting right tackle (Breno Giacomini) missed seven games. Back-ups Lemuel Jeanpierre, Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey were pushed into critical spots in games with no margin for error (as evidenced by us only winning the West by one game). Look at those three closely: Jeanpierre, originally signed by the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent; Bowie, a rookie 7th round draft pick this year; Bailey, an undrafted free agent rookie.

The offensive line disruption was significant, especially with a 2nd year quarterback still developing. Nothing is more important to a line’s development than cohesion and repetition together, and yet we trotted out a different O line each and every week. But it wasn’t just the line. Our Pro Bowl fullback (Michael Robinson) -- and a blocker Marshawn Lynch trusts implicitly -- was released right before the regular season, thrusting an undrafted/hearing impaired player with no experience (Derrick Coleman) into a pivotal role on a team with a mountain of expectations stacked on its back. #1 WR Sidney Rice went down in the 8th game of the season. Although not having a big season, Rice is a receiver Russell Wilson trusts completely and he also is our biggest target amongst the wide outs – and no matter what, always drew attention from defenses. It’s foolish to think losing Rice did not have a significant impact on our passing game, because it clearly did. Tight end Zach Miller, extremely valuable to our zone blocking scheme as an in-line blocker and always a sure handed target with his limited targets, missed two games. One of our play makers from 2012, tight end Anthony McCoy, was on IR and the team somewhat surprisingly released up and coming tight end Sean McGrath, forcing the team to play the season with a rookie 5th round pick (Luke Willson) and a castoff veteran (Kellen Davis).

Then, there is the much talked about Percy Harvin. It’s a fair debate to say “we didn’t need him”, but it’s also fair to see in his limited snaps that the offense looks different with him playing - that’s not a stretch. Harvin is, if anything, a player the defense has to account for on every snap. I think it’s a safe assumption to say things would have been much easier on our offense if he would have been plugged in as intended.

But it wasn’t just about the offense. On defense, our established best pass rusher was coming off a major injury and also had to fit into a new role, and we had to integrate two brand new pieces (Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett) at the same time. We shifted our second best pass rusher from 2012 (Bruce Irvin) to a new position. We lost a very valuable starting linebacker (KJ Wright) for arguably the most important four games of our season (the last three of the regular season and the Divisional Playoff game). Oh, by the way, our best linebacker (Bobby Wagner) also missed two games. Enter the expedited arrival of play maker Malcolm Smith.

The Legion of Boom lost one of its founding members, Brandon Browner – first to injuries, then to league mandated suspension – and appeared in only 8 games. This thrust two unheralded players into the spotlight: the talented but injury riddled Walter Thurmond III and the former 6th round pick who lived on the fringes of the roster for his first few seasons, Byron Maxwell. Come to find out, Maxwell is even better than Browner.

The schedule makers also didn’t do us any favors....opening up on the road at 10 am Pacific in the heat of Carolina, against what would become one of the NFL’s best defenses; a stretch of four out of five on the road (at Houston, before they imploded; at Indianapolis; vs Tennessee; at Arizona on a Thursday night; at St. Louis); and overall, five 10 am Pacific starts (although we finally put that demon to rest and went 4-1 in those games).

Like I said, resiliency. Yes, we have a very talented team. Yes, our coaching staff is excellent. But more than anything, the depth of our team and the ability to fight through the white noise and adversity is why we are on destiny's porch.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
The key word in this post and title for me is "resilient". This is probably the most resilient and mentally tough team I've ever followed -- I really can't even think of one that rivals it. It all started last year in that game in Chicago, right? Remember that one? They were getting jobbed HARD. (Yeah, the gameday forum can be dicey, but there was more "worst since XL" talk than any other time. It was bad...) But they came back and won the game not once, but twice. I got my doubts that Holmy's Hawks -- much as we loved them -- would have pulled that off.

This team's got so much bounce-back that we long-suffering PNW fans have had a hard time adjusting to it!

Jac

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2lo4ompi said:
The schedule makers also didn’t do us any favors....opening up on the road at 10 am Pacific in the heat of Carolina, against what would become one of the NFL’s best defenses; a stretch of four out of five on the road (at Houston, before they imploded; at Indianapolis; vs Tennessee; at Arizona on a Thursday night; at St. Louis); and overall, five 10 am Pacific starts (although we finally put that demon to rest and went 4-1 in those games).

Also, given that the NFL is scheduling division games at the end of the season, we ended up facing a non-stop onslaught of great defenses from week #12 forward. There wasn't a single slouch in that stretch for our offense to feast on, get back rhythm, run up the score, etc. Yet, we perserved...and now, in comparison, Denver looks soft on that side of the ball. And I'll add that in 6 of those 7 games (the only exception being the Giants), our opponent desperately wanted to beat us because they were playing for something (in the case of the Rams, looking toward spoiling our 2013 season and toward 2014).

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Man so much adversity this year to come into the big game firing on all 8 is just amazing. I cant say it is the reason, but I have to think the relative youthfulness of this team played a big part in its resilience. I see guys sitting in Ice baths after taking a beating and it makes my old bones ache just to think about it! This team is special, I think most of us recognized that last year. Hope to keep the core of it together for years to come!

Go Hawks!

Tokadub

Reaction score
Great post I agree with all that. We've come so far as a team and we do have incredible depth.

Even though I feel our offensive line is still pretty bad against the pass rush, it's amazing we went 13-3 with all those lineup transitions.

Sidney Rice gets barely any mention even on our own board but we must remember he was our #1 receiver last season. If we had Sidney Rice and Harvin at full health WOW our offense would have been way more consistent and explosive.

I just love our team roster top to bottom other than a very few players which I won't throw under the bus here.

I'm really hoping we can win this Super Bowl, these guys deserve it, Pete Carroll deserves it, Seattle has earned it with best fans in NFL.

I think this may be our best chance to win the Super Bowl ever. I'm really hoping we can keep this core together for next year and beyond. I'm a little concerned though looking at our current payroll, haven't studied it in depth but it looks like some of our highest payed players could be a bit problematic in salary distribution moving forward.

If we win Super Bowl I think we will have a good chance to keep most our key guys for at least one more season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great post FlyingGreg! Absolutely spot on. I'm more confident about this Sunday just due to the the depth and resilency of this team. JS and PC did an outstanding job of piecing together a team and the players have done a great job of stepping up when their number has been called. From top to bottom the drop off from 1st string to backups have been transparent (for the most part). It speaks volumes to the character and make-up of the team. We all we got, we all we need!