Chargers @ Broncos this season

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
On December 12th in Denver, the Chargers defense held Manning to under 300 yards and held the Broncos to 18 yards rushing. Offensively, the Chargers ran the ball well (180 yards).

The Chargers defense doesn't have a 12th ( :p ) of the talent the Seahawks defense does. I haven't watched that game other than the highlights, but I guarantee the Seahawks have. It doesn't work to extrapolate one game result to another - way too many variables; I get that. But the point is, there are ways to slow down the Broncos offense and they aren't unbeatable. I can't think of another defense in the NFL better suited to do that.

The Broncos will score points. I'm not foolish. But to me, I think our much maligned offense is going to score more points than Denver does. Simple equation. NO WAY do the Broncos limit us to under 24 points, which I think will be necessary for them to win.

Largent80

Reaction score
Our offence matches up better on their defense than their offense on our defense.

Although, I REALLY like the way our defense matches up.

We are going to kick their asses.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
San Diego had them figured out, better than anyone else in the league this year. Obviously I expect our team to watch that film closely.

But I'm surprised that the team that kept that Offense in check was a divisional opponent. I consider it to be like ARI beating us in Seattle. All the trends, stats, etc. are muted when you play one from your own division.

So I don't expect the Seahawks to really glean much from watching those three games that SD/DEN played.

Seattle is still going to win though. I think Pete just needs to tell the team to imagine Niners uniforms on the Donkos. THEN it's blowout time. ;)

253hawk

Reaction score
And the Chargers' defense finished the season dead last in DVOA by a mile. They had 2:1 time of possession and completely shut down Denver's running game, making them one-dimensional. Rivers' final numbers looked no different than what Wilson has put up on average over the past few weeks.

mikeak

Reaction score
Go look at the Indy - Denver game. 4 sacks and LOTS OF PRESSURE

not only SD that played them well this year

Wartooth

Reaction score
I watched the Donkos/Bolts game again the other night, Ryan Mathews shredded Denver's D!
I honestly think had he been healthy for the play off rematch, that big head and the Donks wouldn't be in the bowl!
I still ain't buying the 'super improved defense' line the media is peddling, I think Marshawn will run through them all damned day!

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Wartooth":2s2k9as6 said:
I watched the Donkos/Bolts game again the other night, Ryan Mathews shredded Denver's D!
I honestly think had he been healthy for the play off rematch, that big head and the Donks wouldn't be in the bowl!
I still ain't buying the 'super improved defense' line the media is peddling, I think Marshawn will run through them all damned day!

Yeah, agreed. I think far too much attention is on the Broncos offense and not nearly enough is on their suspect D.

Adding Harvin to the mix, if he stays in there four quarters? Love it.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, they could look at film of our home game with Arizona and try to find out how to stop us. Problem is, they don't have near the personnel to do what the Cards did. Good luck!

Largent80

Reaction score
Holy crap. I have rewind and I see us being able to do whatever we want on offense, and then I realize....We HAVE Percy Harvin.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":rjpftiwz said:
On the other side of the coin, they could look at film of our home game with Arizona and try to find out how to stop us. Problem is, they don't have near the personnel to do what the Cards did. Good luck!

That's exactly it. It's not necessarily that they lost to SD, it's that we have the personnel to give them problems on both sides of the ball even more than the Chargers did.

And yes, that whole "Arizona blueprint" thing is funny to me. It wasn't a magic scheme, it was a great game played by their defense and a very clutch catch by Floyd that was inches away from being an incompletion. Coupled with an awful game by Wilson, it was a perfect storm.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I love the Rewind, my wife is always asking if I ever get tired of watching football?
Nope!
And I agree about Percy, X-Factor, and basically an unknown to their defense.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Largent80":2wk9hk2o said:
Holy crap. I have rewind and I see us being able to do whatever we want on offense, and then I realize....We HAVE Percy Harvin.

...which, IMHO, makes us capable of putting up four TD's plus FG's. We've got to improve Red Zone efficiency.

Largent80

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2708n2q0 said:
Largent80":2708n2q0 said:

...which, IMHO, makes us capable of putting up four TD's plus FG's. We've got to improve Red Zone efficiency.

Well a #19 defense is not a top 10 like we faced all of December and we still won, including on the road and in the stadium the SB is in.