should hawks keep B. Mebane/McDaniel in on Nickel?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
with Peyton Manning's tendency to switch to run plays when facing man coverage or light box's I think having Mebane or McDaniel in their as insurance against the run game is a good thing. Peyton Manning is no mobile QB so collapsing the pocket is the mission rather than containing. Rotate Mebane/McDonald at the nose and have M. Bennett/McDaniel rotate at the 3-tech so they're will be a mix of power and speed on the inside pass rush. This is my opinion but i doubt we see alot of red bryant in this game he is more of our 49er package or run stopping base D. I would like to see a four man rotation of Mebane/McDonald and Bennett/McDaniel on the inside against the broncos to keep the D-lineman fresh and wear down the broncos interior lineman with the constant combination of speed and power.

Rotation A) Mebane-nose guard, M.Bennett-3tech
Rotation B) McDonald-nose guard, T.McDaniel-3tech

ivotuk

Reaction score
McDonald and McDaniel both have the talent to bust through the offensive line and maul Pman. They have both finally started to show what they are capable of this year and I expect them to step it up even more in the SuperB Owl

chris98251

Reaction score
DeShawn Shead has not been mentioned at all, at 220 and CB speed we could bring the Bandit back since were healthy and really mess with Peyton on some downs where they try to do rubs and overstack things. It is also a great way to shoot guys in from all places to disrupt him and pressure. I don't recall seeing it this season deployed.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I expect to see a 3 D Linemen formation with Bruce Irvin off of the edge. He can get to Peyton in less than 2.3 seconds.

Seafan

Reaction score
J. Lane will likely see action due to the frequent 5 WR sets. Don't see Shead out there.

Vetamur

Reaction score
The Bandit seems to have been a tool PC used when he didnt yet have the personnel he needed to run the defense he wanted to. If we run out that many DBs now it will be, as SeaFan said, the Broncos put a bunch of WRs in play.

As to the original question, I think Mebane should be part of the rotation on all downs, but more than anything I hope we force Manning to huddle at times so we can rotate our d-linemen and keep them fresh all game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am thinking of the size of Denvers wide receivers and TE, Shead would match up physically real well on any of the bigger ones in the middle.

KDshouldBeOurMJ

Reaction score
ivotuk":1i53t28l said:
I expect to see a 3 D Linemen formation with Bruce Irvin off of the edge. He can get to Peyton in less than 2.3 seconds.
I agree, IF we are successful at disrupting the pocket inside, if we cant Peyton will step up at the perfect moment and they brush right by him. I myself would like to see avril as much as possihle because if he gets an oppurtunity for a sack he will probably strip the ball. Bennet could make the difference being that we wont be vulnerable if peyton switchs the play at the line. The way he can release from blocks andhis miix of power and speed makes his a great run stopper.
Im going to make a guess, i think bennett will cause either sacks or hits on peyton from the inside.
I really hope we can get some damn pressure. How amazing would it be if we got on Peyton all day long and sacked him 5-7 times.
Peyton is just to keen at sensing pressure, our speed rushers will be useless from the edge if our guys on the inside dont play to the best of their ability. This is gonna be a good one but we got this.
We have them beat in two phases hands down, special teams, and our offense. We are very strong in special teams which is a weakness of theirs especially in normal altitude. With harvin back they are just simply outmatched, with Harvin we are a top 5 scoring offense easy, their defense will beba relief to our guys after playing a succession of top defenses this whole season. That leaves their juagernaut of an offense versus our historic defense. I think we can win that phase as well, but many of the facets of our defensive game have to play great for that to happen starting with the pressure. It all rides on our d line. Fitting if you ask me, since we have brought in a multitude of rushers this year, just for a game like this. If they fail peyton probably has a good day passing, if they succeed it could be a blowout.
But honestly even if our d line cant generate pressure fast enough, and our defense cant tame their offense, i just dont see that being enough to make up for the other two phases plus the turnover battle we win. even if that happens; their offense out does our D, they simply cant win that phase by enough of a margin, we are too good of a defense to let them make up for the turnover differential, our o vs their d, and special teams.
We are too good on d, i dont see them getting the better of us but i dont think it will even matter...

MagicHef

Reaction score
The rotation won't be happening against Manning and the hurry-up.

What DL would you go with if you knew you had to stick with those guys for the entire drive, no rotations or substitutions?

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
MagicHef":kepqq2fl said:
The rotation won't be happening against Manning and the hurry-up.

What DL would you go with if you knew you had to stick with those guys for the entire drive, no rotations or substitutions?

I'd definitely want Mebane and Avril out there as much as possible so I'd love to see us go with Bennett, Mebane, Avril and McDaniel if we're forced to use the same guys every play. I think that gives us the best possible pass rush (with Bruce on the corner) with capable run stuffers at the same time.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
And because of that I'm betting we'll see a mix of personnel that falls outside of a standard situational rotation.