Pete Carroll's recruiting ability

warden

Reaction score
I remember when the Seahawks first signed Pete Carroll. Pete said that he had a distinct advantage for the next 3 to 4 years over very team in the league when it comes to drafting players. He knew most of the key college players and has already tried to recruit most of them. This excellent article ( http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/31/super-...-pete-carroll/ ) in Richard Sherman's view really shows that. Richard back in college played WR and not until his senior year started to play CB. Pete tried to recruit him in Junior high, saying he would be a lock down corner

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
That was certainly obvious. I am positive that he has gone even deeper and had some high school players in his sights.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The NFL/ESPN TV coverage seems to me to be pretty boring and who gives a darn what old, has-been players/coaches think, most are bias anyway?

I haven't watched too much of the TV coverage (too much BS) but I haven't heard the following points being discussed at all. Anyone else heard this discussed? To me, the lead stories need to include...........

(1) The fact that PC was hired by Paul Allen and given 100% complete team control with last word on everything. PC was also allowed to interview and hire his own GM, thus JS joined the team. PC didn't sneak away from USC in the middle light, he left for a coaches "dream job" and look where he is now.

(2) The number of players left from the team PC took over (IIRC their are 3 left)

(3) The number of player transactions for each of the last 4 years (IIRC 200-300/year?), this is important to consider because the PC/JS team have worked very hard to build a complete team, starting with almost nothing. They have indeed, turned over every rock. Now, the Seahawks are about to be SB champions.

Both PC and JS are deserving of coach/GM of the year awards after the job they have done. The Nation needs to hear this. Most newly hired coaches only need to add a few key pieces to their existing team. PC/JS did it top to bottom in only 4 years.

OP
OP
W

warden

Reaction score
21 of Seattle's 53 players went undrafted

DavidSeven

Reaction score
A lot of our key players are guys Pete saw a lot in college. Sherman, Lynch, Browner, Thurmond, Baldwin, Kearse, Miller, and Malcolm Smith all played in the PAC-10. Mebane and Unger are also PAC-10 alums and were among the few retained from the old regime. Tate played against Pete every year in the ND/USC rivalry game.

Will be interesting to see if JS maintains his stellar drafting record now that the advantage of knowing the Pac-10 has run its course.