Movie Script

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
You can probably tell from my user name that I'm a writer. I won't go into my credentials (search that if you want), but I want to finally say what I've been waiting to say for a few weeks. I have held my tongue because my wife is a die-hard 12, and she says that every time I make predictions or point out trends, the opposite happens (kind of like the announcer's curse--"This quarterback has not thrown an interception--whoops, there's an interception!").

On December 22, when visiting my wife's family for Christmas, her brother and wife took us to the Clink for a Seahawks game. The Hawks lost to the Cardinals 17-10. A part of me felt like I cursed the team by being there, but another part started to see the rest of the season play out like a movie script. I wanted to tell my wife, but the moment I verbalized it, I knew the opposite would happen (like Seahawks losing two games and getting bumped to #5 seed or something).

Driving back home after that game on the 22nd, I scripted the rest of the season the way I might outline the second and third act of a book or a screenplay:

--Hero team shows its vulnerability by losing at home, keeping the bullies of their division, the hated 49ers, in the hunt to win the division.

--Regular season comes down to final game, with hero team hosting an opponent who always plays them tough--will they survive?

--Hero team wins division, but is dismissed in the playoffs because of their "pedestrian" offense, kind of the way the US hockey team was dismissed against the Russians.

--Hero team faces their current bullies, the 49ers, in the conference championship and overcomes an early punch in the mouth to rise up and defeat their bullies in dramatic fashion on the last play of the game. This is 1980 US hockey v. Russia.

--Hero team goes to the championship game and faces a team that used to bully them relentlessly when they were in the same division. No one gives hero team a chance, but they beat the snot out of that bully. Think Rocky in his second meeting with Clubber Lang.

I honestly saw this in my head as we drove home after that loss to Arizona. It seemed like a really contrived screenplay was being set up. In fact, if this was that movie, I would have probably made that call, said, "I know how this ends ..." and the be that ass in the room that explains the movie to everyone.

But because this was real life, I didn't have 100% faith that the Seahawks would follow my script. They had not looked overly impressive on offense against Arizona, particularly when they shanked their scoring chances at the end of the first half. In hindsight, this was kind of like the expo game the US hockey team played against Russia before the Olympics where Jimmy Craig gave up 10 goals. The Arizona game was the key loss in the script that occurs at the end of the second act, making the viewer wonder if this team has what it takes to win it all.

I saw this script play out in my head, and the only reason I didn't say anything or write it down is because I didn't want to jinx it.

But there it is.