A personal view of the weekend in NY

MookieB88

Reaction score
What can I say.....the SB has been on my bucket list since about 1984 and yesterday I finally was able to put a tick next to it.

I'm from the UK originally but now live in the US. I started watching football in the early eighties but didn't really have a strong affinity for any team until I saw my first NFL game live. Thankfully that game was a Hawks game at Huskey Stadium. I was hooked instantly due to the passion of the fans.

I missed out last time we made the SB and vowed I would miss the next opportunity that came along, hence the reason I found myself in NY for the weekend along with many other traveling members of the 12th man.

I'm currently sat looking out of the window at a snowy JFK airport reflecting on the past couple of days and I can honestly say it was everything I'd hoped and expected....and then some.

NY always throws a great party and this was no exception, however, if I'm being critical, then I would say that as such a tourist Mecca, there are so many other distractions in the city that you could almost miss there was a game going on. Having said that, walking around NY on Saturday night seeing so many happy Seahawks fans was something I'll never forget.

I, like many others decided that we'd take the mass transit option and to say it was a debacle would be an understatement. We got stuck at Seacaucuas for what seemed like an eternity and it was uncomfortably hot and claustrophobic.

We made it to the stadium finally and the situation there was much more efficient, we went through security in about 10 minutes.

The crowd seemed to be much more "fan" centric than I expected.....Broncos fans were out in force, maybe it's just the orange that makes them stand out, but they seemed to be represented in greater numbers initially.

We were in section 131 which was definitely a Seahawk stronghold. We stood through the entire game and everyone around us was into the game and made a lot of noise, especially on Denver possessions. The usual 12th man volume seemed to grow throughout the game, obviously it was helped by what the Seattle D was doing, but I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to make so much noise.

As for the game itself, what can I say? It was amazing, from the first play to last it was the most complete team performance I've ever seen. The offense was calm, organized, efficient and thoroughly professional. The D was nasty, fast, brutal, unrelenting and simply awesome. I won't dwell on the game as others will write about it with more eloquence than I can muster.

We remained in the stadium for a LONG time after the game, maybe 90 minutes or so and spent the time dancing and hugging other jubilant hawks fans. Macklemore was in our section and had the biggest grin on his face as the PA played Can't Hold Us which was big singalong. Other highlights of the night were the chinooks flying over the stadium, they were SO low, if felt like they were in the stadium, can't imagine what it would have been like from the top of the stadium?

Half time show was great fun....not a fan of Bruno Mars, but it was a great spectacle and definitely memorable. We finally got back to Manhattan around 1am and may or may not have had a few celebratory drinks :)

I feel like I've been hit by a truck today and I have no voice whatsoever, but it's totally worth it and I guess it could be worse? I could be a member of the Broncos offense.....they must be hurting today.

Unfortunately I won't be in Seattle for the parade, but I'll be there in spirit and I know the 12th man will be out in force, loud and proud as always.