Malcom Smith's price tag went up due to playoff run

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
He likely added a few million to his next contract due to his play under the big lights.

Can we afford to keep him and Irvin?

Hes been better than Irvin thats for sure but he is due for a new contract and Irvin is making 1st round money.

Should we trade one of them for picks?

amill87

Reaction score
He's become this team's big play Babs.

With that said, Babs was just an average player who had a knack for being at the right place at the right time. I don't anticipate him costing much if we want to keep him but I don't think he is a irreplaceable piece of the defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Can we ask Irvin to renegotiate his contract this off season? If the answer is yes, I fully expect Pete and John to approach Irvin with that offer, or tell him he's gonna get cut in order to resign and extend a bunch of contracts far more worthy than Irvin.

kidhawk

Reaction score
No Doubt that Smith will get a decent raise, the question becomes when. He's still under contract for next season at under $700k. If we want to extend him, we might be able to do that, otherwise we can wait until next off season and see what the market brings. By then his Super Bowl MVP will be old news, but his play on the field has been pretty darn good, so either way he's going to get a raise.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I've liked him over KJ whenever he's on the field.

We'll take care of him after his contract expires, and if he wants to stay here it will get done during the yeear ala Bam Bam.

HawkSquawk

Reaction score
The thing is Smitty is a bit undersized. He needs to avoid a scenario where a team pays him a bunch of money and expects him to play all game. Remember what happened to Tatupu? He left and got beat up. Smitty is in a good spot here sharing time with Wright.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3u1ywmmd said:
Can we ask Irvin to renegotiate his contract this off season? If the answer is yes, I fully expect Pete and John to approach Irvin with that offer, or tell him he's gonna get cut in order to resign and extend a bunch of contracts far more worthy than Irvin.

Nope! can't do anything with Irvin until after the 2014 season. He's in the same boat as Wilson/

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think Malcolm's performance combined with the NFCCG interception increased the number of games he will play for us in the future.

Remember the should-have-been interception that hit Aaron Curry in the chest and then bounced harmlessly to the ground? It wasn't a surprise when he was gone immediately afterwards. Some players have the ability to find the ball in "fluke" situations, some do not, and Carroll puts a huge emphasis on having players with this ability.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The Cowboys would pay $$$ to have some of our guys on their roster.