Reasons why i believe Sherman will take a pay cut.

blazen2392

Reaction score
while there is no doubt Sherman should be payed probably twice was Revis makes, i think he will settle for a really low paying contract. look at it from his perspective?

This isn't your average NFL player. He was literally built for success in this industry the moment he graduated from standford with a 3.9 in communications. Based on the Fact that he doesn't play the game with raw athleticism but actual football intelligence shows hes going to have a very very long and productive career in the NFL. After that? He going to be the next deon sanders of sports commentating. He probably realizes his career in the long run is going to be the most productive playing for the Hawks which will give him so much credibility.

I believe Seattle is a different brand of football than anywhere else in the NFL. Seattle football feels like a family. those dude out there look like they genuinly care about each other. Pete Caroll feels like more of a father teaching his kids how to play the game of football. they feed of the 12th man. Just look at the way earl thomas plays. he looks like a little kid thats just WAY too hyped playing football.

After the superbowl The legion of Boom has officailly become franchised. These guys are one unit whose strengths complement each other unbelievably wel.l each of them bring something unique to the table and thats why they will go down as the greatest. the best defenses of the past have been built from the ground up and havent needed a defense group like the LOB because of nasty pass rushers, but what happens when you build one the other way around? They have the potential to be the longest lasting top notch defense in this decade. they where last year, they where this year, and they will be next year.

Playing football doesn't get much better than this if you want to go down in the history books, like the patriots from the 2000's. we are in the making of a dynasty.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Or since he has a ring now, he'll just take the most money he can get. I would be disappointed, but I wouldn't blame him whatsoever. I think there's a decent chance he accepts reasonable (i.e., below-market value for his services) money to stay here, but I'm realistic. You can't blame any player that wants to make the big dough.

Cartire

Reaction score
Do I feel like there will be a team discount, yes. Do I feel like that discount will be a lot, no.

The only way we get a good deal is if we extend him. If he has the chance to try free agency, the cost will skyrocket. He's not gonna turn down $15 mil/yr in free agency, and I'll be pissed if that's what we sign him for.

I'm hoping we can wrangle him in with an extension of around $9-10/yr with a decent bonus and the bulk of pay pushed towards the later years.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Sorry, no way. He's gonna get the most money he can, expecting him to do less is setting yourself up to be disappointed.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
Come on, let's be real here. I could see him taking only $12 million if another club offers $12.5 million. But the discount won't be significant. Hopefully we'll be able to extend him before he evens hits free agency and we won't have to find out if he'll take a discount. No doubt he's going to get paid, and deservedly so.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Expect the worst and hope for the best.

I'm hoping a lot of these guys will take a fair contract. Sherm is smart enough to know he won't put up the same numbers with a Safety other than Earl on the back end.

The key is keeping them all together. Getting a good value contract from Maxwell, then having Thomas and Sherman take a contract that's fair but under market value. And hoping that Wilson will take a fair contract.

It's a lot to hope for.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
what makes you say that? this dude will be endorsed up the ying yang soon, and he could quite right now and commentate on sports and still make a lot of money. I believe to play with the LOB he will give up 4-5 mil if it meant another run at the superbowl. He's literally 3 years into his career. a 4-5 year contract with 7-8 mil a year is something i can see him doing.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd like to see a study done on the impact a SB win has on the contract demands of FAs. It seems a generous share of people think the win automatically makes the player want to stay with that team. To me, it could mean exactly the opposite, as in, Got my SB, now I want my money.

I think IF Sherm plays nice, it will be largely because he won't absolutely be as good without the support of the LOB (and because he loves us and the team).. But if he's looking at 50 mil up front and guaranteed on a 120 mil deal? Who knows? Won't blame him either way and will be grateful for his service while a Hawk.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
Kam only makes 6.8 mil a year, and hes playing just as good football as richard. I mean you get to a point and does that extra 3 mil really mean that much?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
blazen2392":nn67i7e9 said:
Kam only makes 6.8 mil a year, and hes playing just as good football as richard. I mean you get to a point and does that extra 3 mil really mean that much?
Completely different financial market for corners versus safeties.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
Man i just hoped hes made enough enemies where he only gets love in seattle

Ozzy

Reaction score
I hate when people say with 100% certainty that a player will take the max. Every year players take less to stay with their current team. I wouldn't think any less of him if he moved on and got the max amount offer but I would love it if he stayed.

I think Wilson will set up his contract to help the team as much as reasonably possible. Brady, Rodgers and others have done this as well in the past.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Here are his 2 scenarios

Aim for a big FA contract: 2014 makes $700k, 2015 franchise tag ~$12M 2016 sign a big deal (5 year $80m) makes $16m.

Take the deal the Seahawks can offer. I say something like 5 yr $50m.

It would take him 4 years to come out ahead on option #1 which means he has to stay healthy long enough to get that big contract and hope someone will pay him that. The new CBA really has a lot of rookies in a bind. There is a ton of team control for the younger players.

The Radish

Reaction score
These young people are one hit away from being out of a job and/or crippled for life. Don't expect them to take way less money to get nearer that hit.

I think the way to handle this is try to do a deal with them after their 3rd years. (teams can work out a new contract after the 3rd year of the rookie contract. I believe Sherman just finished his 3rd year so he is elgible. If that can't work out then you get him one more year on his rookie contract and then lose him to free agency.

Please don't throw the business opportunitys into this. That is strictly between the player and his agent or company and should not be held against them. Remember they will get that money no matter where they play.

Seems to me the biggest 2 players to deal with are Sherman and Wilson. Either player if you let them get to free agency I'd wager they are gone. Perhaps not Wilson, but Sherman would be a fool to turn down a huge payday somewhere else.

I actually don't think Wilson has any intention of leaving but he isn't going to work for free. When you consider that average life of an NFL player is about 4 years why expect them to take a pay cut? Do you want them to work at Wal Mart as a greeter after they retire?

I have heard for example that Russell Wilson makes $660,000 via his rookie contract. I imagine he makes a couple of million from his outside business deals, Levi, etc. Yes that's a lot of money by yours and my standards but not necessrily for his.

Are we going to begrudge him for wanting to be paid at about the level he is playing at? Of course not. I have no idea the going rate for SuperB owl winning QBs but I'd wager its more than the fast food workers in Sea Tac are making. Lets see Manning I read got $17.6 this last season and he was the loser in the SuperB owl Wilson just won. Do the math people and don't begrudge our heros their spoils.

Again I think personally the two biggest deals they need to do are Sherman and Wilson. Lets hope they can pay them and still keep our key people. Or perhaps Pete already has someone in the wings waiting to take Sherman's place in case someone offers him $15 million or more to come somewhere else. How many teams would break the bank to have a DB so good Peyton Manning barely threw at him until he got hurt late in the game, and even then he didn't give up much? A LOT OF THEM!

:les:

HawkWow

Reaction score
austinslater25":3tx5gguu said:
I hate when people say with 100% certainty that a player will take the max. Every year players take less to stay with their current team. I wouldn't think any less of him if he moved on and got the max amount offer but I would love it if he stayed.

I think Wilson will set up his contract to help the team as much as reasonably possible. Brady, Rodgers and others have done this as well in the past.

But you are referencing players with HUGE money already in the bank, major ties to the community, endorsement deals, etc. Manning probably makes as much from Papa John as he does from Elway. Tiger Woods got an annual $80 mil to have Buick on his bag.

I'd be willing to bet more take the money, coming off their initial deal, than don't. As well they should. NFL = Not For Long.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
A whole lot of his success is from playing with Earl. I really don't think people realize just how good of a safety this guy is. He is better at his position than sherman. I believe He WANTS to Play here and although i agree we shouldn't short change him, he does'nt need to be unreasonable in his demands. If he knows we can't afford to pay him 15 mil a year would he be satisfied with 8?

HawkWow

Reaction score
The Radish":3rtxvw7k said:
These young people are one hit away from being out of a job and/or crippled for life. Don't expect them to take way less money to get nearer that hit.

I think the way to handle this is try to do a deal with them after their 3rd years. (teams can work out a new contract after the 3rd year of the rookie contract. I believe Sherman just finished his 3rd year so he is elgible. If that can't work out then you get him one more year on his rookie contract and then lose him to free agency.

Please don't throw the business opportunitys into this. That is strictly between the player and his agent or company and should not be held against them. Remember they will get that money no matter where they play.

Seems to me the biggest 2 players to deal with are Sherman and Wilson. Either player if you let them get to free agency I'd wager they are gone. Perhaps not Wilson, but Sherman would be a fool to turn down a huge payday somewhere else.

I actually don't think Wilson has any intention of leaving but he isn't going to work for free. When you consider that average life of an NFL player is about 4 years why expect them to take a pay cut? Do you want them to work at Wal Mart as a greeter after they retire?

I have heard for example that Russell Wilson makes $660,000 via his rookie contract. I imagine he makes a couple of million from his outside business deals, Levi, etc. Yes that's a lot of money by yours and my standards but not necessrily for his.

Are we going to begrudge him for wanting to be paid at about the level he is playing at? Of course not. I have no idea the going rate for SuperB owl winning QBs but I'd wager its more than the fast food workers in Sea Tac are making. Lets see Manning I read got $17.6 this last season and he was the loser in the SuperB owl Wilson just won. Do the math people and don't begrudge our heros their spoils.

Again I think personally the two biggest deals they need to do are Sherman and Wilson. Lets hope they can pay them and still keep our key people. Or perhaps Pete already has someone in the wings waiting to take Sherman's place in case someone offers him $15 million or more to come somewhere else. How many teams would break the bank to have a DB so good Peyton Manning barely threw at him until he got hurt late in the game, and even then he didn't give up much? A LOT OF THEM!

:les:

Excellent perspective (though, IMO, I'd add ET as an absolute).

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I wish the LOB would all just agree to make the same amount. Whatever Kam got.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Imo, Sherman will accept around 10-12 million, if he continues to get big time endorsement opportunities.

1. Seahawks will re-sign Thomas, no doubt, and they have Chanchellor for another 4 years.

2. No other fanbase LOVES Sherman has much as the 12th Man because Sherman has alienated all other Fan Bases with his antics.

3. Combine point 1 with his Stanford education, Sherman knows he wouldn't be a successful of a CB that he is today without Earl and Kam. He might find another team that has similar talent but he wouldn't have that deep connection with those players.

4. Combine point 2 with his Stanford education, if he leaves he'll lose out on the Legion of Boom franchise he has been building up.

5. Combining all points: Sherman is a SMART dude, by taking a discount, he'll build his name up even more through selflessness and by keeping the LOB together longer, he remain as successful longer which means continuing endorsements while continuing to build the L.OB. franchise on the side. Which majority Seahawks fans will continue to eat up as long as the Defense remains successful.

Does he risk that by alienating himself for the most lucrative DB contract with a new unfamilar team and fanbase that might not accept him as well as Seattle does?... that is the million dollar question.

And I feel he's just not that dumb or that greedy to take that risk.

Latest posts