Can Someone Explain Why We Lost Ball Spot Challenge?

Barakas

Reaction score
So, like a dumb arse I forgot to hit record on the game yesterday so I can't check the replays myself. On our first drive though after the safety Wilson scrambled to the left and as he was going down he stretched the ball out and I swear he placed it at the 1st down marker. Pete challenged it and the stupid refs just said he was short and didn't even measure.

It looked soooooo freaking close to me I could not understand why they didn't spot the ball and at least call for a measurement. So, I must have missed something completely obvious and that's why they didn't even bother with a measurement. Does anyone know what that was?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Must have been something in the verbiage about the challenge. There was no measurement because the play was so close to the sideline marker that it must have been obvious. They measure if they need too, not just to humor everyone.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
No. That was a flat out obvious blown call. Even on the replay. 100% wrong. The video is clear as day; he sets the ball right on the yardage marker.

igEu5G2g73vqm.gif

Axx

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3ki64zu8 said:
No. That was a flat out obvious blown call. Even on the replay. 100% wrong. The video is clear as day; he sets the ball right on the yardage marker.

igEu5G2g73vqm.gif

well they had to stall the seahawks, the last thing the nfl wants in the super bowl is a blow out because it would hurt the ratings.

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3ttr2ia8 said:

igEu5G2g73vqm.gif

Perfect GIF showing that. How the heck is that ball not respotted and measured. They put us a full yard short. WTF NFL....well, we won anyway but still....WTF.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I never go super deep with "conspiracy" stuff, usually going for simpler, more obvious explanations of weird stuff. But wow, it's pretty hard to say that call was anything other than a freebie given to the Broncos to try and keep them in the game. There's just no way to see this replay and call it short. No way.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Russell's knee and the ball come down at the same time. The nose of the ball is dead center of the yard marker. How do they not measure? Check replay, respot and measure...????

Starrman44

Reaction score
That was a baffling lack of an overturn. I actually though that he made it in real time. I was so confident it would be overturned, it was just silly.

12evanf

Reaction score
The only reasonable explanation to this, and their overall poor performance, is that Denver was under the impression they were playing touch football.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I will go back and watch..but what I believe was said is that the spot was originally wrong but not enough to give a first down.. fair enough..but then they said that this means we didnt win the challenge. Which confuses me. They moved the ball up from the initial spot.. a few inches.

If you look in the gif, Wilson put the ball down on the first down marker..but put it down out of bounds.

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
Vetamur":12fadw31 said:
If you look in the gif, Wilson put the ball down on the first down marker..but put it down out of bounds.

I thought the ball being out of bounds did not matter. I know it doesn't for the goal line because it extends to infinity but not sure for the rest of the field. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that it's where the ball is when the player is "down" or "out of bounds". In this case I thought the ball should have been placed right where it touched on the ground since it and Wilson's knee pretty much hit at the same time.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Good point..I wonder what the rule says.. should look it up.. On a scramble that ends up out of bounds its where the ball above the field of play when the player goes out. I thought. Is that wrong?

lucky49

Reaction score
having calls go against you seems like a new experience to you guys lol

Happy

Reaction score
lucky49":1hgv0uhx said:

What's that supposed to mean?

You seem to be implying something. Would you care to be more specific?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
lucky49":1bngxc1z said:

You are kidding, right?

Vetamur

Reaction score
Im not worried about the call going our way or not our way..Im curious about the rule itself. The referee indicates that the spot was wrong, moves the ball a few inches up..but still says that overall the Seahawks lost the challenge and so were charged a time out. So..if you challenge in that situation the difference has to be enough to "be worth" the interruption I suppose.. have to look it up.

themunn

Reaction score
It didn't bother me they got that call wrong in realtime, but I saw the replay ONCE and I was confident it'd be overturned, I simply couldn't understand WHY it wasn't.
That replay is clear as day, there's no way the ref could look at that and say "nope, that's short" UNLESS, there's a specific reason why it was short that makes that irrelevant, which is why we want to know what we've missed

Crabhawk

Reaction score
NFL rule book
Page 98, Article 4, Part (c), bullet 2:
Other reviewable plays: 2. The position of the ball with respect to a first down.

Also, as for the marker - the bit on the ground isn't official, it's the sticks that are official. There's only one set of official sticks on one side of the field; the bits on the ground are a basic visual reference for the approximate location of the first down.

I'm guessing that side of the field where Russ went out was the unofficial side, hence the conflicting visuals. Since the ref determined he did not gain enough for a first down, the challenge is lost because see the rule book above.