Is Seattle's First Game September 4th?

Polaris

Reaction score
twelthmanfan":1d7eb2w0 said:
Heard on KJR this morning that the Hawks would lead off the season on September 4th, Thursday night. Is that true?

Yes. Reigning SB Champions always open the regular season on Thurs Night on Prime Time. If at all possible, the Champions play at home. The only reason Baltimore didn't in 2013 was because of a conflict with the Baltimore Orioles. The Mariners are on the road that day.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's a big advantage to get that Thursday game out the way and as a home game no less. No crazy short week in the middle of the season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not only is it true, but since it's a thursday and there is no Mariner's game that day. Well there is a game but it's an Away game, so there shouldn't be a conflict there.

I think we'll see one of three teams to open the season

1) Rematch with the Broncos

2) Packers

3) Niners

Any one of these would be a great match up for the NFL to kick off the season with.

drdiags

Reaction score
I would really love to see the 9ers game a little later in the season. It would be an epic game though. Broncos could be good but not sure it gets the nation wide build up the 9ers game would be. NFL is happy with any of those choices.

HawkGA

Reaction score
One other time the game was moved was for the Democratic National Convention speech by Obama. Not bringing politics up, just saying that isn't happening in 2014 so we should be clear.

I heard the Cowboys mentioned by Peter King. I'll be p!$$ed if that is the game. That's just a stupid game and the only reason it would happen is because it would involve media darling Dallas. It would not be a good game.

Mizzou - great point about getting the Thursday night out of the way. Which probably also means it won't be Dallas since they play on Thanksgiving.

Polaris

Reaction score
I think the leading candidates will the Broncos, Packers, or 49ners. Of the three, I strongly suspect it will the Packers because it has all the juicy story lines and hype potention without burning a marquee divisional matchup.

If the NFL wants pure hype for the 2014 Season, I'd say 49ner or Denver in that order.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think that the opener excludes us from a Thurs night game later. The opener is on NBC IIRC, and the other Thurs games are on NFLN.

Still, we'll get the mini-bye before week 2, so that's a plus.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":1ay2ks6i said:
I don't think that the opener excludes us from a Thurs night game later. The opener is on NBC IIRC, and the other Thurs games are on NFLN.

Still, we'll get the mini-bye before week 2, so that's a plus.

I thought I read last season that each time played one, but only one, Thursday night game. It was deemed too much of a competitive disadvantage to play more than one. Maybe the first week is excluded but it would still seem to tilt the rest/play gaps in an odd way.

I'm hoping we follow up the Thursday night at home with one of the long road trips the following week. Get one of those out of the way after a mini-bye.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't know what the exact rule is, but the Broncos played in the opening thursday night game vs the Ravens and then again in the final Thursday night game vs the Chargers. The Ravens Only played in week 1

piston bully

Reaction score
All I know is all of these potential teams are hoping it isn't them. Playing the hawks at c-link in prime time the night we raise the super bowl banner. good luck with that.

Erebus

Reaction score
kidhawk":1r5gn2u7 said:
I don't know what the exact rule is, but the Broncos played in the opening thursday night game vs the Ravens and then again in the final Thursday night game vs the Chargers. The Ravens Only played in week 1

The Ravens played the Steelers on Thursday night in week 13. So even though we'll open at home on a Thursday, we'll also play another TNF game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Erebus":16nhc963 said:
kidhawk":16nhc963 said:

The Ravens played the Steelers on Thursday night in week 13. So even though we'll open at home on a Thursday, we'll also play another TNF game.

That's right. I never even think about Thanksgiving because it (like the first week) isn't on the NFLN it's on NBC.

Latest posts