Tate Says he would take less money to stay in Seattle

DannyMcGwire

Reaction score

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Here's to hoping that signing Tate is no less than the Hawks #2 priority this off season.

Wouldn't it be great to re-sign both Bennett and Tate before the start of FA, which I believe is March 8th... the first day that clubs can start talking to the agents of UFAs of other clubs.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I totally understand players who want to get paid. It's a business. But my philosophy about the wealthy can be summed up by Jack Nicholsen's character in Chinatown when he asked the villain, "How much more do you need? How much better clothes can you wear? How much better car can you drive? How much better food can you eat?"

Tate is going to get paid a LOT of money either way. I'm glad he's willing to stay for less, even if he made it a point to say a "little less".

BGHawk

Reaction score
When you work for a first class org. and play for the best coach, with the best fans in the nfl..it would be hard to leave..not hard to understand, not to mention his relationship with teammates

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think it goes beyond that. PC stuck with him when he did not know how to be a pro. Tate was a pretty immature guy coming out of college and liked maple bars way too much. But Pete stayed the course with him until he got it.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Everybody has different wants and needs. Seattle as a place, and an organization has become a very attractive destination.

Hopefully, JS&PC found a locker room full of "we over me" type of personalities...haha.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I'd imagine anything less than Burleson's $5mm per year is insulting and anything above Hartline's $6.2mm per year is too rich. Amendola makes around $5.7mm per year and that's what I think Tate is hoping for from the Hawks.

McG

Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but I think some where around 4-5yrs at $12/15 mil w $4-8 mil guaranteed. I think that's what he is worth. That is a lot of money, no matter how you look at it.

Now if we could get Miller and/or Big Red to take a huge pay cut, because both of them are making a lot of cash. I believe both their cap numbers are around $7mil next year.

SDHawk

Reaction score
McG":3lp71atf said:
I'm just guessing, but I think some where around 4-5yrs at $12/15 mil w $4-8 mil guaranteed. I think that's what he is worth. That is a lot of money, no matter how you look at it.

Now if we could get Miller and/or Big Red to take a huge pay cut, because both of them are making a lot of cash. I believe both their cap numbers are around $7mil next year.

Thats like Jason Avant/Davone Bess money, and something I would expect Tate to balk at.

Monistat

Reaction score
SDHawk, i think the numbers you bring up seem to be about right for what his worth will be on the open market. I think if the f/o doesnt deem him replaceable then 5m a year may be our "hometown discount".
I'm just curious even if Clemons,Bryant,Rice,and Miller were cut/restructured would we still be willing to pay another WR money like that with Baldwin and chop chop in the wings. I'm a Golden Tate fan for sure. But if it meant possibly loosing out on Bennet and any member of the LOB(inc Maxwell) when the time comes i would think he may be one of those cap casualties. Never know though i am not a GM :)

ZagHawk

Reaction score
However, it's really easy to say that until X city pays you 30-50% more than the city you love. Not to mention if you go to that city, the fans WILL care about you, because you are their superstar.

I hope we keep him for a reasonable price, and given his quieter appearance in the playoffs, hopefully that helps as well.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Joshoeuh":2g7lde55 said:
Hopefully once the championship euphoria wears off he still feels the same way.

Pretty sure he's felt this way before SB48. He, along with others on the team, have stated their desire to stay with the team.

As long as he stays away from greedy family members (and agents) who will undoubtedly chirp in his ear about $$$, and instead stays close to his teammates who will undoubtedly chirp in his ear about dynasties...

HawkWow

Reaction score
SDHawk":3hzadqn2 said:
Joshoeuh":3hzadqn2 said:
Hopefully once the championship euphoria wears off he still feels the same way.

Pretty sure he's felt this way before SB48. He, along with others on the team, have stated their desire to stay with the team.

As long as he stays away from greedy family members (and agents) who will undoubtedly chirp in his ear about $$$, and instead stays close to his teammates who will undoubtedly chirp in his ear about dynasties...

Correct. A few weeks ago, he spoke of how much the team put up with (with him) his first couple years and how grateful he was. He all but said then that he wouldn't be playing hardball. Then at the SB media day, he basically reiterated the same, this time focusing more on his relationship with Pete...and appeared to be choked up.

Some are calling Tate "redundant"....but if having Tate, Harvin and Baldwin on this team is the definition of redundancy, I'm down with it. Improve the O-line, add a tall, fast guy and (I hope) ASJ and this O will be as potent as any in the NFC, including GB's and Nawlins', IMO.

Axx

Reaction score
if he gets resigned you could say bye bye to Rice

HawkWow

Reaction score
Pretty sure Rice is gone bro. I like the hell out of Rice, but (IMO) you can't have your 1 and 2 with a history of injuries. IF we did, we'd need Tate more than ever, as shown this year. Because in a blink our 3 & 4 can become our 1 and 2.

SDHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":3i2ijine said:
Pretty sure Rice is gone bro. I like the hell out of Rice, but (IMO) you can't have your 1 and 2 with a history of injuries. IF we did, we'd need Tate more than ever, as shown this year. Because in a blink our 3 & 4 can become our 1 and 2.

Rice's only saving grace is that Bevell is still with the team. I would imagine that Bevell vouched for Percy so that he could run an offense similar to when he was in Minnesota. Rice is familiar with the offense and is still relatively young.

On the other hand, I think some here have amnesia as to Rice's effectiveness. He was above average in 2012, but in 2013, many were questioning his ability to separate and produce. For this reason, many were calling for Chop Chop to replace Rice in the starting lineup, even before Rice's season-ending injury. He showed an inability to separate on his balky knee - remember he had some procedure done in Switzerland to get his knee right.

Also reason why I am wary of Brandon Coleman in this draft. The knee procedure has me worried and from what I can tell, his production has dropped off considerably. I think Benjamin is the safer pick because he has a sturdy, durable frame. However, KB still remains an enigma in my mind. I keep thinking back to James Hardy and how there was similar fascination with his measurables, only to do squat in the NFL.

Largent80

Reaction score
I love Tate and have since his days in college. I wanted us to draft him and he has become a very good NFL player.

I hope he stays.