Practice squad players (all but one) re-signed

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The Hawks have re-signed 7 of the 8 players who ended the season on their Practice Squad, as well OC Jared Smith who finished on the Practice Squad/Injured list. The one who has yet to be re-signed (or at least not yet announced) is QB B.J. Daniels.

The complete list:

DT D'Anthony Smith, DB Akeem Auguste, WR Phil Bates, DT Michael Brooks, DT Dewayne Cherrington, WR Arceto Clark, TE Cooper Helfet (and OC Jared Smith).

Jville

Reaction score
What the OP meant to post was ..... Seahawks sign DT Smith plus the other 7 practice squad members.
[urltargetblank]http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5882/danthony-smith[/urltargetblank]

drdiags

Reaction score
Was BJ Daniels on the PS or the active 53? I know they picked him up after he was waived by the 9ers. Maybe it was to the PS. I understand they think pretty highly of him but that could have been a bogus media report during the parade.

Jville

Reaction score
I missed the omission of quarterback BJ Daniels the first time thru. His named was not among today's announced signings. Maybe his agent is shopping his services or discussing his contract value. :229031_shrug: Perhaps we'll see something tomorrow.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/teams/seattleseahawks/transactions?team=SEA[/urltargetblank]

getnasty

Reaction score
Poor Phil Bates will never get off the practice squad

SDHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2zqmkhlj said:

Pretty sure it was Poor Phil Bates that made Chris Harper expendable. They're essentially the same guy.

Cad

Reaction score
SDHawk":11mm0q0x said:
getnasty":11mm0q0x said:

Pretty sure it was Poor Phil Bates that made Chris Harper expendable. They're essentially the same guy.

Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SDHawk":inms8xsz said:
getnasty":inms8xsz said:

That's not true. Seattle wanted Harper and intended to "redshirt" him on the practice squad. Harper WAS signed to the PS, only to be signed off our PS a day later by SF. Seattle was hoping to keep him and offered him a lot more money than what a practice squad player makes, however he wanted to be on an active roster and so he went with SF.

He was cut from SF by week 5, and was subsequently claimed by the Green Bay Packers.

He is currently under contract with them. I was hoping they would have cut him so we could have gotten him back but no luck. We'll need to draft a Big WR this year.

Jville

Reaction score
getnasty":2q2537sm said:

Practice squad members contribute every week.

And all of them, including Phil Bates, will receive a superbowl ring ..... because they earned it.

SDHawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":jgtyh385 said:
SDHawk":jgtyh385 said:
getnasty":jgtyh385 said:

That's not true. Seattle wanted Harper and intended to "redshirt" him on the practice squad. Harper WAS signed to the PS, only to be signed off our PS a day later by SF. Seattle was hoping to keep him and offered him a lot more money than what a practice squad player makes, however he wanted to be on an active roster and so he went with SF.

He was cut from SF by week 5, and was subsequently claimed by the Green Bay Packers.

He is currently under contract with them. I was hoping they would have cut him so we could have gotten him back but no luck. We'll need to draft a Big WR this year.

Have you seen those guys in the same room together?

In all seriousness, both measure almost exactly the same and both were former QBs converted to receiver quite recently. Both were extremely raw but IMHO, Bates was the better performer in OTAs and minicamp. While I have no doubts we wanted to keep Chris Harper because of the unique skillset and size he would give this receiving corp, having a clone in Bates must have softened the blow, if ever so slightly, of any loss.

I also remember the coaching staff trying to shoehorn Bates into a position. He took a handful of reps at FB, IIRC.