Cap space questions

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
How far under the cap are we? How much money will we have to spend going into the 2014 season?

niveky

Reaction score
they were saying on espn earlier today there is about 3 mil of cap space but they have plenty of options from what they said to create space

OP
OP
seahawksfanatic000

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
If we cut rice and Clem don't we have at least 10m more? And is Percy's contract front loaded or backloaded?

niveky

Reaction score
i think the articles on rice said the actual cap savings from rice alone would be 7.3 million, not much of a cap guy but with the challenges coming with a superbowl roster i am getting curious lol.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jeez I hope nobody passes away in your guys family, you will be counting the inheritence before the person is buried.

niveky

Reaction score
chris98251":2njl96y7 said:
Jeez I hope nobody passes away in your guys family, you will be counting the inheritence before the person is buried.

lol...i'm not thinking in terms of that...i was just passing on information. i wish they could keep them all.

here is a link that will probably be helpful. i was more looking because i am concerned about which of my favorite players might already have the writing on the wall.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team= ... &Year=2014

blkhwk

Reaction score
I can see the following happening.....

Rice restructure or cut--saves around 7 mil

Breno & McQuistin not brought back-- saves around 4-5 (guess) Can afford this move with Bowie & Bailey

Red & Clem restructured or gone--saves another 10+ Can afford this move esp. if Bennett brought back + Scruggs, Hill, Williams etc.

Miller restructure or gone-- look for McCoy to come back

chris98251

Reaction score
Not ditzing the topic just the timing, kinda like asking Auntie Em if you could have uncle Ernies car while at the funeral.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Those numbers don't count RFA tenders and other deals. We need to move $$ to get under the cap.

niveky

Reaction score
i Just looked through this list and if it is accurate then these are possibilities.

------------------Salary-------Dead Money-------Cap Saving
Sydney Rice-------9.7M--------2.4M--------------7.3M
Chris Clemons-----9.67M--------2.17M-------------7.5M
Red Bryant--------8.5M-------3M-----------------5.5M
Zach Miller--------7M---------2M-----------------5M
James Carpenter--2.43M------1.01M--------------1.41M
Heath Farwell-----1.67M------167k---------------1.5M

Just on cursory inspection if this is all correct those are the names i'd be looking at whether, I as a fan, want to or not. The front office doesn't have the luxury of handling roster salaries like a fan. The Carpenter numbers are useful because I don't think he would get cut initially, but depending on how the draft and FA shapes up they may cut or try to trade(possibly for another diamond in the rough ala Tapp for Clemons) him during the offseason/preseason.

These are guys I don't think are going anywhere at all...but they give a lot of cap relief to in view of total cap and depending on how the offseason shakes out.

-----------------Salary---------Dead Money----------Cap Saving
Cliff Avril---------9.25M 2.25M----------------7M
Brandon Mebane--5.7M-----------5.3M-----------------5.3M

I actually think if it came down between Bryant and Mebane, that is a hard one despite Red being such an emotional leader on the team. I really don't think they would get rid of any D-Line depth..but same offseason caveat holds true for this as well. I feel 100% certain they wouldn't do anything with Avril but anyone can be proven wrong. I am looking more from a numbers perspective. Depending on how contract talks go with the major players that will be going some of those really hard choices might start happening sooner rather than later....and this is all based on whether the chart in my link is accurate or not.

edit: also doesn't take into account any possibly(hopefully) restructures

niveky

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":19u963m8 said:
Those numbers don't count RFA tenders and other deals. We need to move $$ to get under the cap.

yeah i was noticing that as i was pulling players I had concerns about...that 136 and change number, so over 6 million over right?