SB hangover a concern for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
You know it's going to be talked about at some point. Don't see how if most of the roster is returning, along with few additions. Didn't happen to SF.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A lot of the hangover is usually because a lot of coaches are hired away from Super Bowl teams, and then a lot of teams have to cut some key players for cap reasons or they lose free agents to big money deals because teams want to sign "Super Bowl" players.

You didn't see much drop-off from the 49ers because they didn't lose any coaches and their free agent losses were minimal.

The Ravens had a letdown because they had to let go of some key players (Lewis, Reed, Boldin).

The Hawks are in a good position because they haven't lost any coaches and the core of their team will be back.

A hangover is always possible, but it won't be for the normal reasons (of people leaving) if the Seahawks have one. The only excuse they would have is that they didn't play or work as hard (which I don't expect will happen as long as Pete is here).

Shock2k

Reaction score
Pete knows how to keep a team winning for a decade. He knows how to form the mentality to avoid a hangover.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Couldn't few of our assistants not be back as they are in demand for head coaching openings.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Only concern is M.Lynch. It looks like he done with football, if not physically, he is mentally. hopefully we can get Micheals going next year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seadoc30":2s0ayr6t said:
Only concern is M.Lynch. It looks like he done with football, if not physically, he is mentally. hopefully we can get Micheals going next year.

What are you talking about?

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think Lynch will be back for one more, then I think we part ways regardless of contracts or desire. Who knows, had Michael performed this year?....Lynch is making a lot of money and sending him off with a ring may have been in the cards. Hope not, but stranger things have happened in this game.

I've kept a keen eye on backs for a very long time now. More often than not, it's not the gradual decline we are seeing with Gore. Frequently, it's an unceremonious swan dive. With Lynch's style of running with reckless abandon, who knows when his time will be up? Enter Michael and he damn well better be ready when that day arrives. Lynch is my favorite player...he will be missed, but this is a young man's sport and I'm just so relieved he got us a ring and vice versa. Ring of honor...no doubt.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Heard someone the other day talking about Lynch and thought he had 2 years left with how he plays. Hopefully they can get another ring before he leaves or goes into decline. Shouldn't Hawks be drafting RB in the very near future (maybe this year).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":1zdfab6k said:
Heard someone the other day talking about Lynch and thought he had 2 years left with how he plays. Hopefully they can get another ring before he leaves or goes into decline. Shouldn't Hawks be drafting RB in the very near future (maybe this year).

They drafted Christine Michael last year.. and Robert Turbin is not a bad RB (awful KR, but solid RB).. so no.. drafting a RB this year wouldn't make much sense. Especially since the RB class isn't all that special to begin with

kf3339

Reaction score
seadoc30":nkr5g8fu said:

I don't get where you came up with this epiphany. Lynch is not leaving the game this soon. He easily has two years left which will finish his contract. PC knows how to handle veterans when they need less work so just expect him to handle Lynch in a manner that keeps Beast Mode at full speed.

Any other thought is just silly talk.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Superbowl Hangover usually pertains to the loser.

We don't have a ton of FA, and cutting Rice, Miller and possibly Clemons will give us all the cash we need to sign the guys we want.

Lynch is a bit of a mystery. He looks like he's having a good time, but I'm guessing he would like life more if his OL blocked better for him. Thing is, he looked more worn down and slow at the end of last year than he did this year. Pete manages him throughout the year with practices and such, and I'd like to see a diminished work load with him, Turbin and Michael. Get his carries under 300....although he's not as effective with less runs. He is only 27 right now, and has been in the league 7 years.

minormillikin

Reaction score
My answer to this issue is Pete's philosophy, and my new signature. The "Win" part has occurred, and now I look forward to the "Forever" part.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawks46":2rahmvsh said:
Superbowl Hangover usually pertains to the loser.

We don't have a ton of FA, and cutting Rice, Miller and possibly Clemons will give us all the cash we need to sign the guys we want.

Lynch is a bit of a mystery. He looks like he's having a good time, but I'm guessing he would like life more if his OL blocked better for him. Thing is, he looked more worn down and slow at the end of last year than he did this year. Pete manages him throughout the year with practices and such, and I'd like to see a diminished work load with him, Turbin and Michael. Get his carries under 300....although he's not as effective with less runs. He is only 27 right now, and has been in the league 7 years.

The hangover can very well pertain to the winner as well, and I think applies more to them than losers (losers just have a hard time making it back to the super bowl as evidenced by a 40 year streak). Losers can be broken, sure, but when you think of the Patriots, they are always in the running. The New York Giants historically have never won a playoff game following their super bowl seasons (5 of them).

There's also a statistic out there that says no super bowl winner since 2005 has won a playoff game the following season.

2005 Steelers - missed playoffs in '06
2006 Colts - lost wildcard in '07
2007 Patriots - missed playoffs in '08
2008 Steelers - missed playoffs in '09
2009 Saints - you know what happened to them
2010 Packers - 15-1, lost to Giants off the bye
2011 Giants - missed playoffs following two seasons
2012 Ravens - missed playoffs

The Patriots missed it because of Brady being on IR, and I pointed them out as the one team that's always in the mix due to Belichick, Brady and depending on your viewpoint an easy division. But as you can see here, for whatever reason the odds aren't awesome in this era.

So while I doubt the Seahawks miss the playoffs, I am confident the odds are against them making it back to the super bowl. The edge will come off enough to make them less the team they were this past Sunday. It's not hate, just human nature. Had the 49ers won the super bowl last year, judging by this season alone they would have been a wildcard team, maybe even missed the playoffs.

Seahawks also inherit a first place schedule with teams like Green Bay and Carolina while the 49ers play Chicago and New Orleans. They'll waste home games against Denver (lol), NY Giants, Cowboys and Oakland, while SF will host San Diego, Kansas City, Philadelphia and Washington (although all of these location were determined ahead of time). Based on this season's performances I like that schedule.....although every years there is change across the league in strength.

The emotional mettle needed to win games in the NFL is a bigger issue now than 20 years ago given the parity in the league. It explains why the Seahawks barely beat Tampa, St. Louis, this season despite being a far better team. To win playoffs and championships is even greater.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. But I'd gladly take a super bowl win any way I can get it, and not worry about the next seasons.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think theres speculation of lynch departing "retiring" because it was mentioned in the parade by one of the media news stations (local) that he was telling some team mates that after he gets his ring he's retiring. Afterwards he said he was only joking, and they mentioned that he was only joking and said he's plan on running for us until either HE can't do it anymore or he's forced to stop.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think a large factor in next season is just how much improving Rams and Cards teams continue to improve. The Cards would have gone deep into this years play offs imho and the Rams have the chance to get quality picks in the draft. It's distinctly possible that the NFC number 1 seed doesn't come from the NFC West due to us beating each other.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I'd say the odds are definitely against them making it back to the SB.

But then, the odds are against any team making it to the SB. First, you have to win your division (25% chance or so... little more little less depending on your team's talent level), or failing that, winning a wildcard spot (against the other 11 teams that didn't win a division... probably less than 25% chance, there). Then you've got to make it through a 2-3 game tournament (depending on your seeding) of the best teams in your conference to make it to the SB.

That's a hell of a lot of uncertainty and a daunting task for ANY team, not just the ones that made the SB the previous year.

With that said, though, I like the talent our team has. I like the fact that we finished the year more healthy than in any year I can remember. I like our coaches, and the mentality/philosophy of the team. I think that bodes well for the Seahawks breaking more trends. Our biggest challenge isn't going to be teams giving us their best shots because we won the SB... after all, we were one of the favorite choices to win it all this past season, and I think we took good shots from damn near everyone we faced. Our biggest challenge is going to be our brutal division.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are going to be as good or better next year, obviously it's going to be very tough to make it back. But, they are more than capable of winning it again.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe they'll be just as good, maybe even better next season too, atleast offensively. The tougher schedule and tough NFC West is what will make a repeat a challenge. But falling off like Baltimore or other teams have, I just don't see that happening next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.