Bennet 100% committed to resigning with the Hawks

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL comments by Bennett from that article ...

"I want to be back here 100 percent. I love the team, I love my teammates," Bennett said Wednesday, per The Daily Herald in Everett, Wash. "Pete (Carroll) does a great job of letting us play, so I want to be a part of that. I know we can go back and win a Super Bowl again with all these guys. It's a business, but I definitely want to be back."

And his response to his brother Martellus wanting him to play in Chicago ...

"That doesn't matter much," Bennett said. "I know he wants me to come out there and get a chance to play with him, but I'm definitely a Seahawk and I definitely want to be here for the rest of my career."

How cool is that -- that Seattle has become a real fantasy island of sorts for NFL players -- the team that they all dream of playing for. :179417:

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Though I think he'll stay, the only part that scares me is the comments were made on the day of the Super Bowl parade

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
I was concerned about the possibility of Michael leaving to join his brother Martellus in Chicago until I heard Brock and Danny's interview with Martellus last week. If you haven't heard the interview, it's a must listen: http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Danny

Martellus is a phenomenal interview. My luv and respect for the Bennett brothers has never been higher.

Northhawk

Reaction score
"I want to be back here 100 percent. I love the team, I love my teammates," Bennett said Wednesday, per The Daily Herald in Everett, Wash. "Pete (Carroll) does a great job of letting us play, so I want to be a part of that. I know we can go back and win a Super Bowl again with all these guys. It's a business, but I definitely want to be back."

I suspect his agent groaned when they read this. :0190l:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While awesome, it's what EVERY player says after winning. Of course guys like Bennett, Tate and Baldwin want to stay here, they just won the freaking SB and are loved by millions of fans.

BUT, some of them change their minds when their team lowballs them or tells them they can't pay them what they think they're worth.

I love Bennett and what he means to this defense, but I can't see us matching what other teams with way more cap room are going to offer him. That's the downside of winning the SB, other teams with more money than you are willing to overpay for your players.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b4gpsy0 said:
While awesome, it's what EVERY player says after winning. Of course guys like Bennett, Tate and Baldwin want to stay here, they just won the freaking SB and are loved by millions of fans.

BUT, some of them change their minds when their team lowballs them or tells them they can't pay them what they think they're worth.

I love Bennett and what he means to this defense, but I can't see us matching what other teams with way more cap room are going to offer him. That's the downside of winning the SB, other teams with more money than you are willing to overpay for your players.

players like winning...

not all leave for more money. if seattle is fair, i can see him staying

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2m1udo8s said:
Sgt. Largent":2m1udo8s said:

players like winning...

They won't leave for a little more money, but they will leave for a LOT more money. Which is what I'm talking about.

Bennett's base salary was only 3 million this year. If we offer him a bump up to 4-5 million over 3 years or whatever, and a team like the Jags, Raiders, Brown, Eagles, etc who have a ton of cap space offer him Chris Clemons type money in the 6-7 million range? That's not a home town discount ANY player is going to be cool with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bennett even left himself a little wiggle room with this statement;

"I have a good feeling that I will be back in Seattle...but you know how it goes"

"But you know how it goes" = They ain't gonna pay me what other teams are offering and/or I think I'm worth. He might be back, but priority #1 and #2 is to get Earle and Sherm extended, then Tate and Bennett are next.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":woevn27p said:

"I have a good feeling that I will be back in Seattle...but you know how it goes"

arent you mister positive....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3gtggopy said:
Sgt. Largent":3gtggopy said:

arent you mister positive....

Ha. Hey I want him back as much as anybody. But realistically it's going to be hard.

How's this for positive, the good news is if ANY GM can make it happen, it's John.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
:13:
Uncle Si":18tkf8d3 said:
Sgt. Largent":18tkf8d3 said:

players like winning...

:13: I think we are still getting used to the fact that we are becoming "that" team. The team that is a destination for players who want to win. Not only are we winning but we are winning while having fun and being "celebrated" for being yourself. That makes what we have to offer even sweeter.

No, that doesn't mean every player would take the home town discount, but players who value these things have been taking home town discounts for years. We were just never one of those teams, in fact we were the opposite of those teams. Now for the first time we are not just one of those teams but THAT team!! If any of that makes sense :D

Go Hawks!!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
MAn I would jump for joy if we are able to re-sign him. He was a stud for us this year!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Tate also said he'd take a hometown discount to sign. We need Tate--he's sort of a lesser version of Harvin, but Tate at least suits up every game. And plus, dude's just a BALLER.

Joey13091

Reaction score
12thManNorth":3pnxy0po said:
Though I think he'll stay, the only part that scares me is the comments were made on the day of the Super Bowl parade

What comments?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2q9xx4d0 said:
Tate also said he'd take a hometown discount to sign. We need Tate--he's sort of a lesser version of Harvin, but Tate at least suits up every game. And plus, dude's just a BALLER.

I think we'll have a much easier time signing Tate than Bennett.

Tate's value is not going to be high on the market. Most teams see him as a nice little slot receiver that can make plays at times and return punts if you need him to. They definitely don't see him as an outside receiver that can catch 75 balls a year, which is where the big money would come in.

His worth is greatest here, therefore the Hawks have a lot of leverage with him.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
I think Bennett will be back, but unfortunately I dont see it being a long term deal. A 1, or possibly 2, year deal.

Snag up another ring (or two ;)), get that sense of accomplishment, then go have some fun with his brother while making some extra loot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
akscoundrel":on59c786 said:
I think Bennett will be back, but unfortunately I dont see it being a long term deal. A 1, or possibly 2, year deal.

Snag up another ring (or two ;)), get that sense of accomplishment, then go have some fun with his brother while making some extra loot.

There's no way in hell he signs another one year deal, not after the year he had on a SB winning team.

I can almost guarantee you that Schneider is as we speak trying to lock him up into a 2-3 year deal to avoid letting Bennett test the free agent waters.

Tate? I think the plan for both Tate and Baldwin is to LET them test free agency, because like I said their value isn't going to be high. Then let them come back once they see that they're not going to break the bank and sign a 2 year deal for 2-3 million.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3q7lnt0p said:
akscoundrel":3q7lnt0p said:

There's no way in hell he signs another one year deal, not after the year he had on a SB winning team.

I can almost guarantee you that Schneider is as we speak trying to lock him up into a 2-3 year deal to avoid letting Bennett test the free agent waters.

Tate? I think the plan for both Tate and Baldwin is to LET them test free agency, because like I said their value isn't going to be high. Then let them come back once they see that they're not going to break the bank and sign a 2 year deal for 2-3 million.

May be able to get him to 2-3 years, but ultimately it still comes down to the money in those years, and the commitment of that money aswell as having some huge contracts coming up.

So its possible, and I hope it does happen, I just think it will ultimately be in the 1-2 year range again. They want money, but more than wanting money, they want to play for great teammates, have fun and compete for championships. Thats why I think he *would* sign another 1 or two year deal.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract we offer tate, and what he considers 'disrespectful' aswell.