Super Bowl Three-Pete

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Why not us?

Who we have to overcome:

Probably not the AFC. As this Cold Hard Football Facts article says,

Quite simply, the NFC is stronger and deeper than the AFC, and the NFC’s teams seem poised to be formidable next season. While it’s possible the AFC can chip away via the draft and free agency, it’s likely the NFC will have the Super Bowl betting favorite entering 2014.

So who in the NFC will be our greatest obstacle in getting back to the big game?

NFC West

San Francisco jumps out as our greatest nemesis. I don't think so, and here's why: Their defense, while still good, is a shell of what it was three seasons ago. They've fallen off steadily and I think that trend is going to continue. They have Kaepernick. Despite his fans harping that he has a higher potential upside than Russell Wilson, I don't buy it. I think he's as good as he's ever going to be. Pete wanted the Hawks to force him to beat us with his arm because frankly, he's a pedestrian passer. Sure enough, once they took away his feet and forced him to pass, we had three turnovers. Frank Gore lost a step and is going to continue to get slower. They really haven't gotten a replacement for him. Kap's running ability has masked this delcine, but once teams figure out that Kap isn't the next saviour in SF, it'll be one more weapon missing from the Niners rapidly depleting arsenal. Finally, we have their number in Seattle and have come damned close to beating them in SF. Add up all those factors and I think we can even sweep them next season.

Arizona. They beat us at home. They're an up and coming team. But they lack a mobile QB. This team could be a challenger in the next couple of years.

NFC South
Carolina. This is a dangerous team. Top 10 offense and top 3 defense per DVOA. But Cam Newton is an average QB. His mobility is the one thing that makes Carolina a tough matchup for us. This could be one of our greatest obstacles.
New Orleans. No. I don't think they have the formula to defeat us. We own Brees. Who Dat? WE Dat!
Tampa Bay. This team could be the sleeper team of next season. I like the changes they've made in their coaching staff and think that could change an already talented under acheiving team to the next level. A lot will depend upon if Mike Glennon has a sophomore slump or if he continues to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa Bay steals the division. And I expect them to be our greatest nemesis two years from now.

NFC North.
Green Bay is a long ways from building the kind of defense that can challenge us.
Chicago is a Jay Cutler ways from having a QB that can challenge the LOB.

NFC East
Philly with their new offense is going to probably be the next new thing. I could see them dominating their division next year and making a run for it. We've yet to see how the LOB stacks up against that offense. But Foles isn't very mobile, so I am guessing that we have the edge, for now.

Washington. I fully expect to see great things from RGIII...once the field gets repaired. Oh, wait....

MPLogick

Reaction score
I don't agree with the "count out the AFC" stuff - they still send a champion and anybody can beat anybody in one game. Baltimore got hot in 2012 and outplayed San Francisco when it counted.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Anything can happen but I fully expect another Seahawks/49ers showdown in January 2015. While you make solid points about their decline, I still think they are the 2nd best team in the NFL and our closest twin.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2pbzaiuv said:
Why not us?

Who we have to overcome:

Probably not the AFC. As this Cold Hard Football Facts article says,

Quite simply, the NFC is stronger and deeper than the AFC, and the NFC’s teams seem poised to be formidable next season. While it’s possible the AFC can chip away via the draft and free agency, it’s likely the NFC will have the Super Bowl betting favorite entering 2014.

So who in the NFC will be our greatest obstacle in getting back to the big game?

NFC West

San Francisco jumps out as our greatest nemesis. I don't think so, and here's why: Their defense, while still good, is a shell of what it was three seasons ago. They've fallen off steadily and I think that trend is going to continue. They have Kaepernick. Despite his fans harping that he has a higher potential upside than Russell Wilson, I don't buy it. I think he's as good as he's ever going to be. Pete wanted the Hawks to force him to beat us with his arm because frankly, he's a pedestrian passer. Sure enough, once they took away his feet and forced him to pass, we had three turnovers. Frank Gore lost a step and is going to continue to get slower. They really haven't gotten a replacement for him. Kap's running ability has masked this delcine, but once teams figure out that Kap isn't the next saviour in SF, it'll be one more weapon missing from the Niners rapidly depleting arsenal. Finally, we have their number in Seattle and have come damned close to beating them in SF. Add up all those factors and I think we can even sweep them next season.

Arizona. They beat us at home. They're an up and coming team. But they lack a mobile QB. This team could be a challenger in the next couple of years.

NFC South
Carolina. This is a dangerous team. Top 10 offense and top 3 defense per DVOA. But Cam Newton is an average QB. His mobility is the one thing that makes Carolina a tough matchup for us. This could be one of our greatest obstacles.
New Orleans. No. I don't think they have the formula to defeat us. We own Brees. Who Dat? WE Dat!
Tampa Bay. This team could be the sleeper team of next season. I like the changes they've made in their coaching staff and think that could change an already talented under acheiving team to the next level. A lot will depend upon if Mike Glennon has a sophomore slump or if he continues to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa Bay steals the division. And I expect them to be our greatest nemesis two years from now.

NFC North.
Green Bay is a long ways from building the kind of defense that can challenge us.
Chicago is a Jay Cutler ways from having a QB that can challenge the LOB.

NFC East
Philly with their new offense is going to probably be the next new thing. I could see them dominating their division next year and making a run for it. We've yet to see how the LOB stacks up against that offense. But Foles isn't very mobile, so I am guessing that we have the edge, for now.

Washington. I fully expect to see great things from RGIII...once the field gets repaired. Oh, wait....
Don't forget about the Rams--Bradford is coming back and they're getting two first-round picks next year, including the second overall (thank you, Washington (racist name deleted)).

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Now all of a sudden it appears the RAMS fleeced the Redskins, RG3 after 2 year's is a big question mark and the Rams are making steady progress.

The NFC West will be a title fight each game. It should help up in the playoffs just as it was this year.

Brahn

Reaction score
Tampa Bay could be the right coach away from being a playoff team.

Largent80

Reaction score
Rams may end up with Clowney, that would make that line scary. They also have a bunch more picks thanks to Ratface.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Brahn":bkqin9oj said:
Tampa Bay could be the right coach away from being a playoff team.

Their defense will improve massively, but it's still a team run by Lovie Smith.

Erebus

Reaction score
I could see a case being made for every NFC team to contend for the Super Bowl except the Vikings.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Their line is already scary but were would he play? I doubt they take Clowney. I expect a trade out or possibly a tackle being taken.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
John Schneider would trade the pick for a bunch of mid-level picks and turn them all into Pro Bowlers.

Latest posts