Besides ET & Sherm, who is our best Defensive player ?

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Curious to hear your guys thoughts. Kam, Bennett, Wagner, KJ, Avril, Mebane ? As an aside, pretty cool the Super Bowl MVP may not even be in our top 10 defensive players list

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
IMO Kam was probably our best defensive player, at least over the latter half of the season & playoffs. But I think all these guys are worthy in one way or another of the distinction.

SDHawk

Reaction score
1. Earl Thomas
2. Richard Sherman
3. Michael Bennett
4. Kam Chancellor
5. Brandon Mebane
6. Bobby Wagner
7. Red Bryant
8. Byron Maxwell
9. KJ Wright
10. Cliff Avril

OP
OP
12thManNorth

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I personally think Kam had a MAJOR impact this year and might be my favourite player on D, but I myself think that what Mike Bennett brought to the team this year really turned us from really good into all-time great. Avril's contribution can't be denied either, but from a 19 game perspective, I got Mike Bennett

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor. The Chancellor of Defense is becming a very rare, realized talent. His play this year was astounding. From trucking 300+ pound offensive linemen, chasing down Colin Kaepernick from behind in the open field, excelling in coverage while being the enforcer in the secondary. Personally, I agree with Ronnie Lott. Chancellor is starting to look like the complete package that Kenny Easley was. I suppose if Golden Tate isn't with us next year we oughta let Kam return punts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kam is #1 for sheer consistency.

I can't think of even one time this year he was out of position, didn't make the tackle or even failed at any part of his job. Even Earle and Sherm got beat a few times.

OP
OP
12thManNorth

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Kam truly did have an incredible season. Probably our best defensive player in the playoffs, among a long list of candidates (Sherm & ET unfortunately get looked over because they're too good to ever really get tested). Looking back, we are REALLY fortunate we got Kam at the price we did, because he absolutely has to be worth more than that in an open market right now

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pretty sure Kam vaulted himself into elite DB territory during the playoffs. He was already a second-team All-Pro before that. IMO, he was the clear MVP of the playoff run.

Behind Kam, it's a pretty close battle between Mebane, Wagner, and Bennett.

Cartire

Reaction score
SDHawk":1svq0ue9 said:
1. Earl Thomas
2. Richard Sherman
3. Michael Bennett
4. Kam Chancellor
5. Brandon Mebane
6. Bobby Wagner
7. Red Bryant
8. Byron Maxwell
9. KJ Wright
10. Cliff Avril

I think cliff Avril is getting pushed to far back. Guy had 8 sacks with 7 assists. And oh yeah, 5 FF's which were all huge.

It's hard to single out a single D-linemans contributions with our cohesiveness. But the ability that Avril had with pressure and strip sacking was huge.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Kam certainly had a huge impact in the superbowl. He took away the entire middle of the field with his tone setting hits early in the game.

Although Bennett's performance didnt show in the stat sheet, the guy was an absolute monster himself. There were numerous times, if I recall correctly, where Bennett chased down a receiver or runner from behind to make a stop... in addition to the pressure he helped put on Manning. He has an incredible motor and is very disruptive. He's the best Dlineman we've had in years.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3ffvcovr said:
SDHawk":3ffvcovr said:
1. Earl Thomas
2. Richard Sherman
3. Michael Bennett
4. Kam Chancellor
5. Brandon Mebane
6. Bobby Wagner
7. Red Bryant
8. Byron Maxwell
9. KJ Wright
10. Cliff Avril

I think cliff Avril is getting pushed to far back. Guy had 8 sacks with 7 assists. And oh yeah, 5 FF's which were all huge.

It's hard to single out a single D-linemans contributions with our cohesiveness. But the ability that Avril had with pressure and strip sacking was huge.

OK, but he wouldn't be higher than 7th on this list. What's your list look like?

Cartire

Reaction score
1. ET
2. Sherman
3. Kam
4. Bennett
5. Mebane
6. Avril
7. Wright
8. Wagner
9. Big Red
10. Maxwell (a full season might have dismissed his impact, but he was lights out good when he played. Especially because they primarily picked on his side with Sherm on the other)

Also, reason for wright over Wags. I thought wright was better MLB when he played for wags this year. He also blew up screens like no business.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":2g604pak said:
1. ET
2. Sherman
3. Kam
4. Bennett
5. Membane
6. Avril
7. Wright
8. Wagner
9. Big Red
10. Maxwell (a full season might have dismissed his impact, but he was lights out good when he played. Especially because they primarily picked on his side with Sherm on the other)

Thats a good list, I guess Avril CAN be higher than 7th ;)

However, in my humble opinion, BWags is just too versatile to be considered a lesser component than one trick ponies like Avril. Bane is an exception because he's legitimately one of the best at what he does in the entire League.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think Wagner has been spectacular. He's the best MLB Seattle has seen in 2 decades. He's better than Lofa Tatupu, and I would be shocked if he didn't lead the team in tackles again next year, joining a select group of SEattle defenders to lead the team in tackles 3 straight years.

As far as I can tell only Lofa and Heater have been able to accomplish that feat.

I think he's going to vault himself into the one of the premier Mikebacker's in the NFL. IMO he's just as good a Kuechly without all the media love/attention. I think 2014 he really shows that.

Seafan

Reaction score
Keeping the defense intact is going to be a challenge. Signing Bennett or finding a suitable replacement is going to be key.