Tony Gonzalez ?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think He told NFL network or NFL live that he would be open to returning for the second half of next season to a contender. So would or should he be a consideration for the Seahawks next year becuase you know he is itching to win a ring and would be dynamic on our offense. I know you can't bank on him coming back next year but it would be really cool to see Russell Wilson get a fresh Tony G. for the second half of next year.

Bryce84

Reaction score
He said he'll consider returning if Atlanta is a contender. They own his rights next year.

Polaris

Reaction score
Only if he agrees to play the entire year and only if he agrees to Vet Minimum (which isn't bad in his case!) or just above that for an explicit ring-hunting contract. Otherwise, we can do without.

theascension

Reaction score
Pete would never hire a player for 1/3 of the year. Doesn't fit with philosophy. You never know though, with Pete's popularity perhaps we could see a surprise free agent signing this year? A vet who wants a shot at a ring?

Polaris

Reaction score
I don't mind the idea of a Vet coming in at Vet minimum for ring hunting provided they put the team first and provided he passes muster with Pete (and John). The risk is getting someone that is toxic to the way the Seahawks do things, but I have confidence that Carroll would shut that down quickly.....and trade the problem to Buffalo.

OrFan

Reaction score
No thanks. He told them he wanted to be traded midway through this last year when he saw they would not be a contender. Not an "all in" type of player at all. He is thinking only of himself.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
lol he isn't selfish. The Falcon players and organization stalked him after his retirement and convinced him to come back to win a championship. He had a right to be mad when they wet the bed. The organization was selfish not trading him so he could do what they coaxed him out of retirement to do.

kearly

Reaction score
Atlanta owns the rights. However, it turns out that behind closed doors Gonzales told the Falcon's brass that he was open to being traded to a contender last Fall.

IMO, if Gonzalez really wants a ring, he should just ask out of his contract and then sign with a team like Seattle, Denver, or SF around mid-season. Or Atlanta, if they have an insane comeback season.

I lol so hard at people saying he is being selfish because he is considering coming out of retirement 11 or so weeks into the next season. First, that makes no sense. Second, a player his age would not last 19-20 games anyway. Sometimes I am amazed how stupid people can be.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Did you watch the Falcons game? He's a fossil, he could barely run his routes, let alone block.

Exittium

Reaction score
Yes it is selfish, I know if it was Luke Wilson or zach miller busting their @sses through otas and training camp .. And the whole 1st half of the season just to be replaced by some old pos who wants to only be on a contending team.NFW do I want him here he's either retired or not. Not this half and half bullish!t. I lol at those of who think this sh!ts fine.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kearly":3j82vetf said:
I lol so hard at people saying he is being selfish because he is considering coming out of retirement 11 or so weeks into the next season. First, that makes no sense. Second, a player his age would not last 19-20 games anyway. Sometimes I am amazed how stupid people can be.

Wait huh? That line of thinking makes complete sense. He will only join up with his team if they are already doing well and winning? Part of the reason the team could potentially start winning is due to him playing, so already he is not fully committed to doing whatever it takes to help the team win. Instead, he wants to ride the coattails of their success to get a ring.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":3hwgjk73 said:

Woooowwww...someone is feeling themself way too much

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't see how anybody could be upset with Tony G wanting a trade out of Atlanta last year. First, it's not like he was a career Falcon with immense amount of time with the team. Second, it was his last year. A 1st ballot HoF TE with only one career playoff win? You understand how bad that guy probably wants a title? Third, the Falcons werent going to make the playoffs last year as easily as midway through the season. In Tony Gs last year, it would only help the Falcons to get some compensation for him.

formido

Reaction score
kearly":usm5jbpq said:
Atlanta owns the rights. However, it turns out that behind closed doors Gonzales told the Falcon's brass that he was open to being traded to a contender last Fall.

IMO, if Gonzalez really wants a ring, he should just ask out of his contract and then sign with a team like Seattle, Denver, or SF around mid-season. Or Atlanta, if they have an insane comeback season.

Yup. The moralizing is strange. All that matters is winning SBs. If picking up Gonzalez midseason aids that cause--and it would, that's not debatable--you do it. Gonzalez has more than proven his work ethic and value.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As talented as Gonzalez is, and as much as he could potentially help the Hawks, he is the exact OPPOSITE of the kind of player JS and Pete want on this team.

There's no way in hell a guy like Gonzalez who not only doesn't like showing up for OTA's, training camp, pre-season and now doesn't even want to play in the first 12 games of the season and only wants to come in at the end if his team's going to the playoffs? No thanks. He would NOT be well received in this locker room where it's all about putting in the work and EARNING your spot on the field.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
1. The money could be better spent elsewhere

2. I dont care about tony Gonzalez, and his no Superbowl rings. Along those lines, I'd rather see champ bailey get a ring.

plyka

Reaction score
I would look to bring in Tony. Even at his age, he is one of the best TEs in the league. He is the very definition of "security blanket" for Wilson. He can TEACH Wilson a lot about the game, including how to throw very safe passes even with the receiver is technically "covered."

The only downfall is that Tony may be anti-Seahawk mentality. The Pete mentality is "always compete," "win always," etc. This whole "i'll play the 2nd half of the season" doesn't really "buy in" to the Hawk formula. And this formula may be the most important aspect of Pete's coaching.