Michael Silver defends Seahawks Dynasty prospects

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... arycap-era

It seems like the media gets the Seahawks wrong three times for every one time they get it right. That continued even after 43-8. Michael Silver delivers a wonderful intellectual beatdown for those sticking their heads in the sand about Seattle's (incredibly bright) future. One of the better Seahawks reads from NFL.com in some time. Enjoy.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
There is a shot at one, but I do remember thinking Green Bay being in the same boat, however, they may have lost the shot when the D went to hell (injuries really, and some LB depth underperformed) and Rodgers starting late might of changed the window projection. Really, if that D was slightly stronger they could win another championship.

Plus, the NFC is getting really brutal now, like late 80's/early 90's brutal.

Cool article though, Seattle is built pretty strong in places teams generally aren't still like the secondary. Plus the age, all prime-time performers are very young, even if we lose a few over the next few seasons, we'll have the draft and UDFA to find talent to back fill. Sherm/Kam/Thomas/Harvin/Wilson/Lynch and maybe Bennett seem like transcendent talent to build around and move pieces in and out around that core. Already might have a good replacement for Miller and perhaps Lynch pending some more looks at C. Michael, Lynch will be here the next season at least.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
The part the naysayers don't seem to get is that the people that built this team in brilliant fashion will still be the ones steering the ship as it sails along. Thinking that they don't have a plan for what happens when they succeed is simply naïve. Pete and John are the top of the game right now, and that ain't changing any time soon.

gargantual

Reaction score
12th_Bob":3sr1tykz said:
Lynch will be here the next season at least.
This is what stands out the most for me. Marshawn is literally the heart and soul of the team, setting the tone on both sides of the ball, if he goes down due to injury or just wearing down, which of course will inevitably happen, who will fill that role? I almost can't image the team without him (I was laughing SO hard while he was throwing Skittles out during the parade, Btw!)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The dynasty window has just NOW been opened. Be afraid, NFL...Be very, very afraid.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great article! I didn't realize Okung was making 11.24 million. I could see him restructuring because of injury concerns and I think they were thinking "restructure" when they first wrote that contract. I love Okung, but he hasn't been worth that kind of money and I believe John Schneider can find a great replacement for better money.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":3dervd18 said:
The part the naysayers don't seem to get is that the people that built this team in brilliant fashion will still be the ones steering the ship as it sails along. Thinking that they don't have a plan for what happens when they succeed is simply naïve. Pete and John are the top of the game right now, and that ain't changing any time soon.

I have faith in their ability to draft well in the low rounds. If they can keep doing that they shoud be fine. Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette, Bailey Mayowa etc should help convince UDFAs to come here too.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
ivotuk":1w8p10sl said:
Great article! I didn't realize Okung was making 11.24 million. I could see him restructuring because of injury concerns and I think they were thinking "restructure" when they first wrote that contract. I love Okung, but he hasn't been worth that kind of money and I believe John Schneider can find a great replacement for better money.

I agree on Okung. I love the big guy, but he is not worth that money. He's a liability sometimes. Left Tackle should be a silent partner. He even got dinged twice in the Super Bowl. That's too much money for mediocrity.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Fantastic article! Those that say that Pete Carroll and John Schneider's approach doesn't work and isn't sustainable clearly haven't been paying attention and have their heads firmly rammed in the sand. Michael Silver isn't one of those -- he has been paying attention. He gets it. Personally, I'm hoping that a whole lot of NFL teams out there have their heads buried in the sand and keep them entrenched there for the next decade or so while we rip off a few more Super Bowl wins.

seabowl

Reaction score
I'm not saying we can't win another bowl however we were one play away in the NFCCG from not even making the bowl. Let's enjoy this one and let the chips fall where they may.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
Fans and pundits think our GM has been just kicking back all year watching the games...(like them)... and he just now realized, " Oh crap, I have to pay these players now that we won the Superbowl."

The Seahawks didn't , "just get hot"... and win the Superbowl by surprise. They expected to be there all season long.

Our GM has been planning for this eventuality for the last 2+ years. None of this is a surprise to him.

I am confident in the Hawks off season cap plans.

kjreid

Reaction score
I disagree on OKung, he is worth every penny of that money. I really see him as the 2nd or 3rd best Tackle in the NFL. With that being said his health has been an issue and that ankle of his might become a factor, but until it is proven that his ankle is now glass I think the hawks restructure for more guarnteed money or a longer period of time. Watching Okung play on tape, i see him getting beat maybe once a game and in the Superb Owl one of his two holding calls should not have been called at all. He ain't no Walter Jones but who is?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
kjreid":1rif4za9 said:
I disagree on OKung, he is worth every penny of that money. I really see him as the 2nd or 3rd best Tackle in the NFL. With that being said his health has been an issue and that ankle of his might become a factor, but until it is proven that his ankle is now glass I think the hawks restructure for more guarnteed money or a longer period of time. Watching Okung play on tape, i see him getting beat maybe once a game and in the Superb Owl one of his two holding calls should not have been called at all. He ain't no Walter Jones but who is?

I dont 100% agree with this but for the most part I am with you. Just look a the drop off we had when he was out.

Reaction score
What I think this comes down to is hoping, and wishful thinking on the leagues part that we can't sustain a championship football team.
We went from overrated to we can't sustain it, there are many factors to repeating as champions, can we do it only time will tell. I know one thing is for certain, the people who took this franchise from horrible to Superbowl champions are still in charge.
That was no easy task, they did not get lucky in building this team, MY MONEY IS ON PETE AND JOHN !!!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":24atu9zo said:
ivotuk":24atu9zo said:

I agree on Okung. I love the big guy, but he is not worth that money. He's a liability sometimes. Left Tackle should be a silent partner. He even got dinged twice in the Super Bowl. That's too much money for mediocrity.

I shudder at the thought of NOT having Okung. We saw that already and it was not pretty.

I agree that that 11.24M figure is pretty big though, which means that I bet we try to extend him to lower that cap number

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3492wom2 said:
I agree that that 11.24M figure is pretty big though, which means that I bet we try to extend him to lower that cap number
I'll be a bit surprised if we don't re-structure and extend his contract a couple of years.

Shaving a couple of million dollars off his 2014 cap number is money that can be spent elsewhere (Bennett, Tate, Baldwin, Giacomini, etc.).

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The similarities to the 2010 Packers are pretty striking in that the team won the Super Bowl while playing through big injuries.

Which means Seattle could be better next year simply by virtue of having a healthy team - beyond cap considerations. That's huge.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
I love OkungFu-
but he is liability due to being injury prone, and some inconsistent play.

Of course he is better then what we had out there, but moving forward, can we
really pay him big bucks, with a below average back up? is that the plan?

It only worked because Russell got his azz beat by running for his life and taking extra hits.
Don't like that plan. He needs to be paid accordingly.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
A 40whiner fan yesterday tweeted him that he was a trader because he lives in the bay area, loves the Bears and seems to be supporting the Hawks and told him to leave the state... Love it.