Most important defensive player?

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
Howdy guys! Fun little question for y'all: which defensive player do you guys think is the biggest key to the Seahawks overall dominance? While I no doubt believe it is all a collective effort to be so dominant, which player provides the most "boost" overall from their position? Whether it be on of the DBs in the LOB, Avril, any of the linemen, who boasts the biggest bang?

Reaction score
Earl Thomas - no question - he has the speed and range to allow everybody else the leeway to do what they do.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'd have to say Earl...he allows the others to do what they do. But Kam is getting close to that level. His play on Welker after tracking Julius on the deep route and crashing Welkers crosser was a thing of beauty. Easily my favorite play of the game. I kept saying over and over how beautiful that play was on Sunday.

tooshort

Reaction score
We can't run our base defense effectively without Earl Thomas. More than the fear factor of BAMBAM or the outright dominance of one side of the field that Sherm brings, ET allows everything else to be possible.

OP
OP
Cosmicmix

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
Both safeties on this team are absolute monsters. They not only hit like linebackers, but they have the speed of receivers, and do a great job of timing plays. To be honest, I'm not sure if even the likes of Ed Reed ever laid down the hammers on relievers/running backs like Thomas and Chancellor do

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'll always say a shutdown corner is more valuable than a free safety. That's the nature of the position and the reason why shutdown corners are paid a lot more. We got the two best at their positions, though.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Kam Chancelor, he sets the tone, nobody everyone else feeds off him. You can coach people up if they have the speed and everything else, but to have a Kam and play with that tone setting hits cannot be matched.

Penman96

Reaction score
Very underestimated is Bobby Wagner - he's the guy directing the defense.

Look back to the Monday nighter against the Ram's in St Lou to see what happens when BW isn't at full speed.

tooshort

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3qdsr5dp said:
I'll always say a shutdown corner is more valuable than a free safety. That's the nature of the position and the reason why shutdown corners are paid a lot more. We got the two best at their positions, though.

There was a chart posted before the Superbowl of tendencies and success rate throwing and defending certain parts of the field. The thing that stuck out for the Broncos was that the only place on the field that Peyton had success throwing deep was down the middle. The Seahawks defense on the other hand for the year had no rating for deep down the middle, not applicable, Zero, Zip , Zilch,Nada,Nothing.

They are definitely the two best at their positions and Kamtrack (or as my friend calls him "DeathBacker") is making a powerful argument for best SS as well. We are so damn lucky to get to watch this epic secondary!!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Question was asked about Kam or ET on NFLN and I had to agree with the answer. The overall excellent game that Kam offers for the defense is more valuable than more center field oriented abilities that ET offers. One is more replaceable than the other, I think.

By that same token, I think that Mebane is worth 3-4 mil a season even if just for 1st and 2nd down. I'm not so sure he isn't the most dominant 1 tech/NT there is right now. As good as everyone thinks McDonald is just because he's become a bit better nickel pass rusher, he's not even close to Mebane in taking double teams and getting backfield penetration against the run. Not even REMOTELY close. He's not just a fat arse and gets into the backfield with regularity. When Mebane is out we get gashed more. And right behind him often taking the other A gap or B gap, flowing to the ball is Wagner who also really has no weaknesses and never leaves the field, unlike all of our other backers that are also highly talented that do leave the field in certain situations.

Tough call, but in my experience, playing in the middle of the field is much tougher than playing on the outside where the sideline is your greatest ally.