Jermaine Kearse, future star?

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Kearse showed some incredible hands and decent route running and speed this season. So that begs the question, is Kearse good enough to take Tates spot and make him expendable? What do you guys think?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He doesn't really take Tates spot but it was awesome seeing him develop into a viable threat this year. Amazing how this team finds these guys year after year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
That wouldn't be my choice.

Re-signing Tate should be our #2 priority in the off season behind re-signing Michael Bennett.

Tate's YAC, toughness/blocking and punt returning are appreciated and needed by this team in 2014 and beyond.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I haven't looked at any stats to back it up but it appears Russell really trusts Kearse deep in traffic, perhaps more than some other receivers. I noticed he seems to go to him on post and deep crossing routes in particular.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I really love Golden Tate dont get me wrong. So in the event we are able to re-sign him how much do you think it will take?

Also, Bennett was awesome but I have a feeling hes going to want to get paid hefty. Hes going to be 29 by the time the season starts next year so this hes going to want cash.

Im firm in thinking that there are certain players that MUST be kept and neither Tate nor Bennett make that list. Next man up.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":179g5n0x said:
I haven't looked at any stats to back it up but it appears Russell really trusts Kearse deep in traffic, perhaps more than some other receivers. I noticed he seems to go to him on post and deep crossing routes in particular.

I agree, and I believe that had to do with his size and speed and the need to have a guy like that. We couldnt just abandon that deep threat because Rice and Harvin were out.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
BlueBlood":32x0nn8z said:
I really love Golden Tate dont get me wrong. So in the event we are able to re-sign him how much do you think it will take?

Also, Bennett was awesome but I have a feeling hes going to want to get paid hefty. Hes going to be 29 by the time the season starts next year so this hes going to want cash.

Im firm in thinking that there are certain players that MUST be kept and neither Tate nor Bennett make that list. Next man up.
Seattle would be doing really well to get Tate signed for a multi-year contract at $3.5M - $4.0M/year.

And Bennett definitely makes the list... he's #1.

I expect Pete and John will get him re-signed before March 8th.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2h67k8mv said:
BlueBlood":2h67k8mv said:

Seattle would be doing really well to get Tate signed for a multi-year contract at $3.5M - $4.0M/year.

And Bennett definitely makes the list... he's #1.

I expect Pete and John will get him re-signed before March 8th.

Tate will likely want significantly more than that.. He was one of the most efficient receivers in the league and offers so much more. Despite low target numbers he was still near a thousand yards. Other teams will be able to read between the lines and a decent team will offer him something that we wont be able to come close enough to land him.

As for Bennett, his value and stock has risen significantly. I believe the entire front 4 benefited greatly by having our secondary locking teams down thus giving them time to rush the quarterback. If signing Bennett is risk to lose anyone in the secondary I say no way.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3lhhefl5 said:
I don't think Kearse makes Tate expendable.

I think he makes Rice expendable.

Rice is toast anyway but Tate is a free agent and I think is going to cost more than hes worth TO THIS TEAM.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Jermaine is a body catcher. Until he can catch with his hands, he will not be a star. He is exactly where he should be, a no 4/5.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":tenb1wh9 said:
volsunghawk":tenb1wh9 said:
I don't think Kearse makes Tate expendable.

I think he makes Rice expendable.

Rice is toast anyway but Tate is a free agent and I think is going to cost more than hes worth TO THIS TEAM.

I don't agree. I think Tate - while he will have games where he disappears - is very valuable to the Seahawks.

Now, the WR position as a whole may not be as valued on this team as it is in places like Denver, but Tate's YAC and sure-handedness are quite valuable. Not to mention that he and Wilson have very good chemistry together, and I think he and Baldwin are outstanding on finding ways to come back to open spots when Wilson scrambles.

Northhawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":371m3eb4 said:

Bennett is a key part of the duo of Avril and Bennett who created the pressure which our secondary feasted upon. IMO he is a much bigger contributor to the team's success than Tate.

While Bennett will want and deserves an increase, the question is can we afford what he wants. If not, we will have to find someone to plug in to his slot that can bring the same type of pressure.

hawker84

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2zjyqet8 said:
Jermaine is a body catcher. Until he can catch with his hands, he will not be a star. He is exactly where he should be, a no 4/5.

Disagree, he has great hands, the TD catch in the SB is a prime example of that. Not sure what your seeing?

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2vn0zybs said:

Well, no he isnt.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
49thHawk":7pakexm4 said:
BlueBlood":7pakexm4 said:

Bennett is a key part of the duo of Avril and Bennett who created the pressure which our secondary feasted upon. IMO he is a much bigger contributor to the team's success than Tate.

While Bennett will want and deserves an increase, the question is can we afford what he wants. If not, we will have to find someone to plug in to his slot that can bring the same type of pressure.

Ok Ive decided I want to keep everyone and plus sign all the best free agents! :twisted:

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
People underestimate Jermain Kearse's contributions on special teams. So having him as a starting WR while also playing special teams is spreading him two thin in my opinion. I think having him playing the role he has now is the best becauase the drop off in special teams would be significant.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Kearse is a great role player. I don't see him as filling Rice's role.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":360xejgx said:

Really?

I'm pretty sure his last few touchdowns were all hands.