via con dios, Sherman, the writings on the wall

Rocket

Reaction score
"As I begin to look beyond the game and down the road to next season, I want another title, and I realize some of the names I’ve mentioned—the men who got us here—won’t be around. Will they pay Michael Bennett what he deserves as a free agent? I don’t know. But make no mistake: We want the best for him, and if that means leaving Seattle, so be it. This is a business."

This is a business. Not a lot of grey there. Not sure I'd do it differently.

From his SI MMQB blog. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/07/richard-s ... r-bowl-48/

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
It may just be a message, a shot over the bow so to speak... but he's declaring his feelings about contract negotiation in a most deliberate way.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Eh, it is a business. If these guys want that one big contract that will set a couple generations of their immediate families up for life, I understand why they would go for it. They will need to be able to get top-notch health care for themselves when they're old.

With the way we develop CBs, I think we can survive losses at that position, as awesome a player as I think Sherman is. However, he's going to get extended here almost surely, I think.

theascension

Reaction score
They'll lock down Sherman and Earl Thomas unless Sherman wants Revis money. If he does that would really disappoint me but I'd rather let Sherman go than pay Revis money. You'd have a tough time paying Revis money to Earl, Sherman and a big paycheck to Bennett. I hope they can see it could be something special if they take a slight pay cut.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The players aren't dumb, they know this is a business and that it's impossible to keep everybody. That's just his way of giving his teammate props in saying that Bennett deserves a big contract, just might not be here.

Seeker

Reaction score
Hey guys I just seen pete john and paul riding down the street heading to sherm, earl, and bennett's houses.
they were driving these and said "we keepin everybody!"
it was weird
jewel_brinks_060109.jpg

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I really wish people would quit overthinking the Sherman situation and just assuming he's some Darrell Revis clone and all about the money. Regardless we'll find out next year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rocket":n76tzfn7 said:
It may just be a message, a shot over the bow so to speak... but he's declaring his feelings about contract negotiation in a most deliberate way.

what pro athlete doesnt feel this way

my lord, the parade was Wednesday

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":cozyg3od said:
Franchise Tag, it's not up to him.

I don't see that happening. Sherman's not like big Walt where he was content to just hold out every offseason and get franchised year after year.

Sherman is all about being respected, so there's no way he'd be cool with getting franchised............from a salary perspective OR a respect perspective.

mikeak

Reaction score
He also spreads the word WE around that 15 times or so. He makes it clear that he is a part of the core and don't expect that to change

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I can confidently say Sherm will NOT sign a Revis deal.

Revis' deal was huge, but it also didn't have a single penny of guaranteed money. Sherman is going to see a fat signing bonus with his deal, and thats the type of thing JS can work with to make the contract be a little more cap friendly in the beginning stages.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sherman gets a big signing bonus this offseason and stays or he takes another y ear at minimum salary and then signs a huge contract.....My money is on the fact that he wants to get paid now rather than later. It's not like Earl who is getting $5 million in his last season. Sherman doesn't even make a million this year. He'll want the nice signing bonus. Count on it

Basis4day

Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read. Whether Sherman is here long term will have nothing to do with a single article the week after the Seahawks first super bowl win.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1qly1a00 said:
I really wish people would quit overthinking the Sherman situation and just assuming he's some Darrell Revis clone and all about the money. Regardless we'll find out next year.

Why wouldn't we worry?

I think he stated pretty clearly that he understands that sometimes teams just can't/won't pay players what they deserve and they have to leave to get what they want.

Staying in Seattle means no promise of a championship. Getting the best contract for you and your family is what is important. I'm sure he wants to stay here, but you can't expect him to say no to significantly more money.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
Basis4day":3vbtlucm said:
Don't believe everything you read. Whether Sherman is here long term will have nothing to do with a single article the week after the Seahawks first super bowl win.

This "article" is different... it's his blog, HIS word choice.
This dude knows words.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3gyl869i said:
MizzouHawkGal":3gyl869i said:

Why wouldn't we worry?

I think he stated pretty clearly that he understands that sometimes teams just can't/won't pay players what they deserve and they have to leave to get what they want.

Staying in Seattle means no promise of a championship. Getting the best contract for you and your family is what is important. I'm sure he wants to stay here, but you can't expect him to say no to significantly more money.

He can't get money this off season unless he signs here. He has to risk another season at minimal salary to go for the big pay day. If he's about making the money for his family, then he'd take an extension with the large signing bonus that he can get this year and not risk an injury.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3q6crjcn said:
He can't get money this off season unless he signs here. He has to risk another season at minimal salary to go for the big pay day. If he's about making the money for his family, then he'd take an extension with the large signing bonus that he can get this year and not risk an injury.

I would love for that to happen. Give him a bunch of guaranteed money to sign for less to get it now.

But he knows, his agent knows and the Seahawks know how much he will be due come next years FA.