Just FYI Percy doesn't do punts.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
With all the talk of tate possibly being gone and the explosiveness of the KR we all witness it's come up a lot.

There's a big difference between a KR and PR.

A kick return = 11 guys running down the field with no initial blocks at the line of scrimmage. the Kick Returner has the vision to see where all the blocks are going and how everything is spread out. If he can pick out the right hole he will rely on his sheer speed to get down the field while the KR team is spread out and hasn't closed in on him.

A PR needs to be a more physical, more agile kind of guy who will hold onto the football and be able to make really quick decisions. Catching the ball with a defender in his face and making him miss or breaking a tackle.

Percy is the first kind of guy - blast through holes in the defense on a kickoff/fly sweep/screen. Find the lane and accelerate and simply outrun everyone.

Tate is a catch-in-traffic kind of guy who has the combination of strength and agility shed the first man to him and dance around a bit to hopefully turn it into a big gain.

These are two entirely different skill sets.

if you put Percy out there expect to see many fair catches and him getting blown up.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ZERO chance of seeing Harvin return punts, IMO. It's just not as necessary as it is risky. My neighbor is Jake Scott (72 Dolphins). I once read a stat on him that he led the league in fair catches. Obviously, I used this to bust his balls. He wasn't even aware of the stat (?) but wasn't surprised. He said Shula had great confidence in their offense and was all about securing the ball and reducing penalties. So he was asked to fair catch unless he saw an absolutely clear path. Makes sense...a great excuse if nothing else.

Tate is very valuable to this team. Returning punts is just one of his strengths and I am hopeful he will be retained.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Percy would be an awesome punt returner. It is not worth the risk however.

Devin Hester is the best all time and he did it with speed.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
he wouldn't be an awesome punt returner or he would return punts.

Devin Hester was also a cornerback.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Leon Washington did a pretty good job doing both.

It's not unheard of for a guy to return both.

But Punt Returners do have to be more prepared to take a beating, and that's not something we should risk with Percy. Unless the coaches tell him to be super safe and call fair catch if there's anybody close. But that's not really beneficial either.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
percy harvin is that guy, the other guy, and everything in between, hes the best play maker in the league. so i personally disagree that he doesnt fit exactly what you said a punt returner does. Completely agree he doesnt and shouldnt be returning punts though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
HawkFan72":10635y5f said:

And all the crazier that Tim Brown is not in the HOF.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
He would be a great punt returner. I have no doubt that he could play defense as well. He's a baller.

HawkWow

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1nutvh8y said:
He would be a great punt returner. I have no doubt that he could play defense as well. He's a baller.

Cable would instantly want to convert him from defense to offense and put him on the line.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":p31cldrq said:
he wouldn't be an awesome punt returner or he would return punts.

Devin Hester was also a cornerback.

Hester was indeed drafted as a cornerback, but I believe WR has been his main role in the league outside of returning kicks.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":3ptbzcxk said:
HawkFan72":3ptbzcxk said:

And all the crazier that Tim Brown is not in the HOF.

Eff Tim Brown. :pukeface: