Could we get Jared Allen on a 1/2 year deal?

davidonmi

Reaction score
He just turned 32, and seems to be beginning a decline, and I'm sure wants to go to some sort of contender. Seattle is a destination especially for pass rushers.
Clayton has specifically mentioned his name as a possibility.
Could we get him on a cliff avril like deal?
Tell me if this is a complete pipe-dream or not
EDIT: this is if we don't retain bennett

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If we retain Bennett then I really really doubt it's possible to fit him into the cap room. If we lose Bennett, this would be a good consolation.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1jl5a3dp said:
If we retain Bennett then I really really doubt it's possible to fit him into the cap room. If we lose Bennett, this would be a good consolation.
I agree, if we don't sign bennett

kearly

Reaction score
Jared Allen to Seattle is the most obvious move of the offseason. In the NFL.

Only question is if he comes cheap enough and if Seattle can budget it. Clemons will definitely be gone, and Seattle will look at veteran options to replace him before handing things over to someone unproven.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
id definitely be down for one full year. if enough players walk i dont see why its bennet or allen, sign em both and let other guys walk. thats under the assumption allen would want to come here for pretty cheap. I could easily see a fountain of youth from him if he came here next year after rotting in viking land for so long, dude could be an animal with the extra motivation of playing for a winner plus the added bonus of being rotated more and staying fresh. our team also severely lacks the presence of a mullet.

2_0_6

Reaction score
You could probably get him at a huge discount, he has made it clear in the past that he wants a ring before he retires. Im not a huge fan of signing older players, but he would be a better & cheaper option than Clem.

CPHawk

Reaction score
We aren't built by signing old ex stars, that's how the redskins build. Let Pete and JS continue to build the way they always have, no need to sign ex stars, like Allen and Peppers.

melloyello1818

Reaction score
CPHawk":1fqk93kw said:
We aren't built by signing old ex stars, that's how the redskins build. Let Pete and JS continue to build the way they always have, no need to sign ex stars, like Allen and Peppers.

Agreed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CPHawk":tp6vwl9x said:

You can see the resemblance between Allen and Bennet/Avril though...

Steve2222

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ofvzp9h said:

If we could sign him for peanuts what's the big deal? It's not like anybody is saying throw him Albert Haynesworth money to come here.

And this team does sign aging ring chasing vets like Antoine Winfield. And like we saw. If they can't compete with this team, they're quickly shown the door.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We can get any FA we want it seems given how JS already told most of them no thanks. I'd prefer we sign Bennett given the options out there if possible. In fact please just sign our own in most cases and use the draft.

Vetamur

Reaction score
We will not do that. We will look for overlooked players who overall arent great so get overlooked. Then, we will put them in a position to succeed by playing to their specific skill set. I expect we have to let go of some people because theyve made a name for themselves in our system ..and priced themselves out of our reach. When they go elsewhere they wont be as good. In the meantime we will sign a couple of 2nd or 3rd tier players for much less but only ask them to do one thing well.. and it will work. See: Browner, Brandon.. Clemons, Chris.. slightly different story but Bryant, Red.. etc.

We dont need to get Jared Allen.. we need someone who is under performing now but put in a situation that Clemons did, can produce pressure.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Vetamur":1uiupmx9 said:
We will not do that. We will look for overlooked players who overall arent great so get overlooked. Then, we will put them in a position to succeed by playing to their specific skill set. I expect we have to let go of some people because theyve made a name for themselves in our system ..and priced themselves out of our reach. When they go elsewhere they wont be as good. In the meantime we will sign a couple of 2nd or 3rd tier players for much less but only ask them to do one thing well.. and it will work. See: Browner, Brandon.. Clemons, Chris.. slightly different story but Bryant, Red.. etc.

We dont need to get Jared Allen.. we need someone who is under performing now but put in a situation that Clemons did, can produce pressure.

Thank you for bringing this discussion back to reality.

I'm not sure the Avril, Bennett/ Allen comparison really works. They're both considerably younger and cheaper. Only way Allen would even be a consideration would be if he signed for way below market. Allen had the largest cap hit of any non QB at over 17 mil in 2013.

Winfield......?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Yeah, I see no reason to get him. You know Pete and John have their eyes on a few diamonds in the rough, already.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Why not? PC has signed vets when he arrived - Lawyer Malloy & Brandon Stokley - and he did it last year - Antoine Winfield.

PC and JS don't care if you're a rookie FA or a seasoned vet. Got a need, fill the need. And, are you committed to the program? If so, you're in.

Avril lines up on the left side. Bennett inside. Clem right side. Allen lines up on the right side and he'd be a great addition if Clem's released.

Allen also had 11.5 sacks last year, 12 two years ago and 22 three years ago.

I don't know if Allen's a natural LEO, but he'd be great in our NASCAR set.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Just being contrarian here, but John Schneider has made himself famous by turning over ALL the rocks and kicking the tires in places nobody expected. Maybe Jared Allen is too old and expensive for Schneider to be interested -- and maybe Allen wants a shot at a ring enough to be willing to play for peanuts. I would NOT be surprised to see him sign here on a cheap contract. But he still has to make the team.

Can anyone here imagine what Antoine Winfield must be feeling right now?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
With they way we rotate the line he would already be playing the equivalent of a half year anyway.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
BlueTalon":22hi9me1 said:
Just being contrarian here, but John Schneider has made himself famous by turning over ALL the rocks and kicking the tires in places nobody expected. Maybe Jared Allen is too old and expensive for Schneider to be interested -- and maybe Allen wants a shot at a ring enough to be willing to play for peanuts. I would NOT be surprised to see him sign here on a cheap contract. But he still has to make the team.

Can anyone here imagine what Antoine Winfield must be feeling right now?

That's not contrarian, that's the actual situation.