The Hawkstorian's All-Time Numeric Roster

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Happy Off-Season Seahawk Fans!

Since 1976 the Seahawks have played 38 seasons and played in 596 regular season and 24 playoff games. I have been able to go back and re-construct the game to game roster for every regular season and playoff game in team history. I started this process in October and it became quite an obsession until I finished sometime in December, just waiting for this latest season to end so I could have all 38 years of complete data.

I've always been overly mindful of roster numbers, and my plan here is to present the roster numerically. The only real problem with that idea is quite a few players have used multiple roster numbers in the Seahawk careers. In fact by my count 64 Seahawk players in team history have worn multiple jersey numbers (the most recent being Jeremy Lane who switched from 37 to 20 early in his rookie season). 7 players wore 3 different numbers in their career!

So how do I determine the all-time roster? I do it a little different than you'll see on the Seahawks official site. My first big departure is I'm not considering the replacement players in 1987. Most of those guys would never have sniffed an NFL roster if not for the disastrous three game strike that year. I don't fault those guys for taking the chance they got to play, but to me they are a footnote in team history, not a main point.

Practice squad players I don't count unless they cracked the 53 man roster at some point. There are just too many guys who floated on and off the roster to track it all and the historic data would be very incomplete. I do, however, count a player for his year of service if he started on the PS and later made the 53. Mack Strong is the best example here... he was on the PS all of 1993 before catching on permanently the next year. Same thing with off-season or pre-season rosters. To be counted you have to part of the team during the regular season. Lendale White and Terrell Owens don't count.

Injured players I am more likely to count than not, although I admit I'm using some subjectivity here. Nate Odomes doesn't show up on the Seahawk's official all-time roster, but the guy definitely has a spot in the story line of team history. Other guys are hurt who probably weren't going to make the team anyway, and I've left them off.

In counting games, I include playoff games. The Seahawks don't credit Ryan Longwell with playing in a game, marking him with an Asterisk. To me, he gets credit.

With that criteria, my list has 851 all-time players. Of those, 60 never played in a game. They may have been on IR (Odomes) or were just never active (B.J. Daniels). All 60 of those players were part of the 45 or 53 man roster at some point so they count.

So for the next 99 days I will present the players who wore each roster number in descending order starting with #99. For each number I will highlight who the ORIGINAL player is for the number, who the MOST RECENT player is, and who the MOST VALUABLE of all-time was (or is). My MVPs may spark some debate amongst us "old-timers" which is part of the fun. Hopefully you will join in.

But what of those players who wore multiple numbers in their career? It does make it less tidy, but I essentially assigned each player their primary number, which was usually not hard although Itula Mili wore 49, 88 and 89 in about equal measure. You'll have to wait and see where he landed.

My project was (I thought) a resounding success except I ran into one player who defied the entire system. In late 1976 the Seahawks claimed a safety off waivers named Bryant Salter. He was on the roster for one game (December 5, 1976) and then released the following day. The record of that game shows Salter on the roster but NO ROSTER NUMBER. I don't know if he ever had one. So I'm left with 850 players for whom I know their numbers and one who I don't know, or probably he never actually had one (my guess is he never made it to Seattle). The Seahawks do NOT consider Salter as part of their all-time roster but in fact he should be included, because he was one of the 45 players, if only for 4 days.

Hopefully this on-going thread provides old-timers with some chances to re-live some old good (or not-so-good) times and perhaps gives some of our newer fans and appreciation for all that has gone on before. 2013 may be the top of the mountain, but for many of us the climb took 38 years.

John aka "The Hawkstorian"

**edited because I counted three players twice so it's really 851 total, not 854**

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Huge undertaking! Thanks for the effort John. I guess you needed something to take place of all the Salary-Cap stuff you used to do, eh? LOL

Anxiously awaiting #99

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score

FirstLastCollegePosYearsGamesStarts
DonaldMillerIdahoStateLB199070
BernardClarkMiamiLB199120
NatuTuatagaloaCaliforniaDE1992-19933015
MichaelMcCraryWake ForestDE1993-19965813
MattLaBountyArizonaStateDE1996-20016610
LevonKirklandClemsonLB20011616
RockyBernardTexasA&MDT2002-200811161
DerekWalkerIllinoisDE200900
JayRichardsonOhioStateDE201090
AlanBranchMichiganDT2011-20123333
TonyMcDanielTennesseeDT20131917

One thing that stands out with players in the 90s is there were darn few of them before 1990. It wasn't until the late 80s that it became common for linebackers to wear anything 90 and over. In fact, no player wore #99 until Donald Miller a backup and special teamer in 1990.

The most recent is Tony McDaniel, who was a starter as a run-stopper but frequently was off the field in passing downs.

Natu Tuatagaloa wore #99 in 1993, but wore #96 in 1992 when Cortez Kennedy switched to #99 to honor his former Miami teamate Jerome Brown who died in a car accident in June of that year.

Matt LaBounty was #67 in 1996 after he came over in the trade for Eugene Robinson. He switched to #99 the next year. In 2001 he signed for the last 6 games of the year so he finished his Seahawk career as #91.

My MVP at #99 is Rocky Bernard who developed into very good pass-rushing DT and was a key member of 2005 Superbowl team.

amd-bernard-jpg.jpg

**Edited because Michael McCrary got left out**

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I agree with your MVP candidate Rocky Bernard, tho McDaniel could have something to say about that eventually. Probably not, but maybe.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3ijxf3wi said:
I agree with your MVP candidate Rocky Bernard, tho McDaniel could have something to say about that eventually. Probably not, but maybe.

In terms of longevity, Bernard definitely deserved it. McDaniel is 29 and a free agent.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Got to agree on Rocky.

Looking forward to #98....

(can the same player be MVP twice if they wore different numbers?)

I do not envy the task you have at hand - how can you decide between the greatness that was Rick Mirer and the greatness that is Russel Wilson for the coveted MVP wearing #3?

(that was sarcasm)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1b7qged6 said:
Jazzhawk":1b7qged6 said:

In terms of longevity, Bernard definitely deserved it. McDaniel is 29 and a free agent.
Ya, that's true.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":2sgdyio9 said:
Got to agree on Rocky.

Looking forward to #98....

(can the same player be MVP twice if they wore different numbers?)

I do not envy the task you have at hand - how can you decide between the greatness that was Rick Mirer and the greatness that is Russel Wilson for the coveted MVP wearing #3?

(that was sarcasm)

Russell has some competition! (Just not Rick Mirer)

No one gets to be on more than one list. I just had to make a rule and stick to it otherwise we're talking about Itula Mili every damn day.

Latest posts