Seahawks Offseason: What Would You Do?

farhat

Reaction score
What would you do if you were in charge of the Seahawks' roster? Here are the notable 2014 unrestricted free agents:

Michael Bennett
Breno Giacomini
Paul McQuistan
Tony McDaniel
Golden Tate
Tarvaris Jackson
Steven Hauschka
Brandon Browner
Clinton McDonald
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy

Here are the notable 2015 unrestricted free agents:

Chris Clemons
Cliff Avril
Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Heath Farwell
Michael Robinson
KJ Wright
Richard Sherman
Byron Maxwell
Malcolm Smith

Here are notable 2014 salaries:

Harvin 11 million
Okung 8.76 million
Rice 8.5 million
Bryant 7.5 million
Clemons 7.5 million
Miller 5.8 million
Lynch 5 million
Chancellor 4.725 million
Unger 4.5 million
Thomas 3.725 million
Irvin 1.2 million
Wagner $781,000
Wilson $662,000
Wright $645,000
Sherman $645,000

Here's what what would do. Goodbye to:

Golden Tate (I just don't think he's going to be worth it. Let's go draft a big WR. We already have Harvin, Kearse, and Baldwin on the rise)
Paul McQuistain
Brandon Browner (he's suspended anyways)
Sidney Rice (too overpaid, and hurt all the time and we need some cap room)
Bruce Irvin (he just hasn't performed this year. I think Carroll is done with him).
Anthony McCoy (he's hurt too much)

Pay Cut:

Zach Miller

We need to Retain:

Michael Bennett (Pay him!)
Breno Giacomini
Tony McDaniel
Tarvaris Jackson (we need to have a good back up since Wilson got sacked 44 times last regular season)
Steven Hauschka
Clinton McDonald
Walter Thurmond

We better pay them now before they become free agents:

Cliff Avril
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well I don't get paid millions of dollars to make those decisions so I will just relax and let John and Pete do their jobs given it seems to have worked for the last 4 YEARS without my uniformed, illinformed opinion.

Jville

Reaction score
farhat":2cte2c6u said:
Booooorrring

Feel free to play again and again over here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Seahawks[/urltargetblank]

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
First you better find out what Pete wants to do with the team. By this I mean does he plan to do things any differently than he did in 2013? Then let the rosterbating begin in earnest. People are going crazy trying to figure out who goes, who stays, who get a pay cut etc. But none of those things can happen until you answer the question of what do we want to change, replace or refine. If I were to be so bold as to answer for Pete I would say we change as little as possible, particularly on the defense, while refining our offensive line play. But you also have to start contingency planning for the dark day that Lynch calls it a career and also the day you actually have to pay Russell Wilson. Then you can figure out the moves to make that happen. Pete is no spring chicken either, so at some level you have to have a succession plan for he and his staff. That means finding a guy who would maintain continuity with the wildly successful current program and not another Mora!

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
holy smokes, im all for a little rosterbation but thinking about a plan to replace pete sincerely hurts my brain. he just won a superbowl and my guess is as long as hes in the running for championships hes not handing off his legacy to anyone else.

I would be absolutely shocked if they got rid of bruce irvin, that makes little to no sense, he makes less than 2 million and even if he doesnt get enough sacks for people he doesnt mess up much, the value of not noticing anything bad is ALMOST as good as seeing something good.

The mcd brothers are far from a need to sign bases imo, every year we talk about how we need to re sign branch or this guy or that guy, and seattle always finds guys to plug in, not saying they arnt extremely valuable, and i think they should try their hardest to resign them for an affordable contract, but you simply cant resign everyone and these guys unfortunately fall on that bubble tbd pending on salary list.

same thing for avril really, he already makes decent money, wont make sense to lock him up and limit our roster flexibility in the future.

A few thing i feel like most people are not keeping in mind in threads like these:

-seattle is elite at finding cheap players that fit their system through FA.
-our ability to sign guys and their desire for them to come just got a crap ton easier from winning the SB. so if guys like bennet, avril, mcd bros leave soon, theres a HIGH chance we will easily mitigate those loses by someone else wanting to come here for a short stint just like they did. Those signing were not luck, its a reflection of what we got going on here.
-seattle is great at developing home grown talent and could very likely already have replacements for the dline/corners on our roster. ive heard a lot of people be down on our last years rookies, give seattle more than a year to develop cmike, hill ect before we assume they arnt the answer, as far as monstar goes, im going to assume he has every chance to be a beast until the fat lady sings...heard way too much pessimism about his knees, if it was blatant knowledge his knees were done like some people say i doubt he would still be on this team, doesnt mean those people are wrong, just think hes got a lot better chance then people are writing off.

gmor

Reaction score
Jville":ciuy3hgu said:
farhat":ciuy3hgu said:
Booooorrring

Feel free to play again and again over here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Seahawks[/urltargetblank]
Thanks! Only if it would work for real.

Tokadub

Reaction score
farhat":2hnjkgd0 said:
What would you do if you were in charge of the Seahawks' roster? Here are the notable 2014 unrestricted free agents:

Michael Bennett
Breno Giacomini
Paul McQuistan
Tony McDaniel
Golden Tate
Tarvaris Jackson
Steven Hauschka
Brandon Browner
Clinton McDonald
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy

Here are the notable 2015 unrestricted free agents:

Chris Clemons
Cliff Avril
Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Heath Farwell
Michael Robinson
KJ Wright
Richard Sherman
Byron Maxwell
Malcolm Smith

Here are notable 2014 salaries:

Harvin 11 million
Okung 8.76 million
Rice 8.5 million
Bryant 7.5 million
Clemons 7.5 million
Miller 5.8 million
Lynch 5 million
Chancellor 4.725 million
Unger 4.5 million
Thomas 3.725 million
Irvin 1.2 million
Wagner $781,000
Wilson $662,000
Wright $645,000
Sherman $645,000

I think we NEED to keep:

Golden Tate - He's very, very good and has the kind of talent and athleticism that is extremely rare. The last thing we want to do is let him go and then have some other more pass oriented team like the Colts, or Patriots for example pick him up where we watch him put up insane numbers. You just don't get rid of a guy like Tate in my opinion unless he prices himself out and we are forced to.

Michael Bennett - Obviously we keep Bennett but I don't think we should throw as much money at him as I am guessing most of you are thinking. I'd be willing to pay him $6 million tops if not he walks, we just can't afford huge contracts we need to be ready to pay Wilson and Sherman.

Steven Hauschka - Not going to find a more reliable kicker, keep him if the cost isn't too much.

Would be nice to keep:

- Clinton McDonald
- Tarvaris Jackson
- Tony McDaniel
- Walter Thurmond

Don't really care either way:

- Breno Giacomini
- Brandon Browner (due to all the legal problems)
- Anthony McCoy

We should cut:
Paul McQuistan - Probably our worst player from what I can tell, sucks at protecting Wilson.

Ideally would pay these guys less to keep them (even if that's not possible):

Okung 8.76 million -> 5 million
Rice 8.5 million -> 4 million
Bryant 7.5 million -> 4 million
Clemons 7.5 million -> 3 million
Miller 5.8 million -> 4 million
Unger 4.5 million -> 4 million

Even with those huge pay cuts that only frees up 18.56 million...

If we increase Russell's pay by 16 million so he's at 16.66 million (about as much as Eli Manning) then we would only have about 2 million left to pay Sherman... good luck with that.

Plus Earl Thomas and Cliff Avril are going to want more money.

I think these math figures helps to explain why I don't think we can afford to throw big bucks at Michael Bennett.

We really broke the bank on Harvin, still not 100% convinced if that was a wise decision but if he can stay healthy and we win another Super Bowl I'd be happy.

Geeze I kind of wish I didn't just analyze this a little more I'm not seeing how we are going to keep our guys in the next few years, we overpaying several players and vastly underpaying a whole bunch of guys. Gonna be tricky that's for sure.