Thoughts & Expectations from the following players...

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
...that are already on the roster but havent played much or at all this year:

- RB Christine Michael
- CB Tharold Simon
- DT Jordan Hill
- DT Jesse Williams

I probably missed a name or two but the guys I have listed above, I expect them to be big time contributors in 2014 season. We are excited about the draft and bringing in new players but these guys are already on our roster and we haven't talked much about them so I thought I would start a topic (Welcome to the off-season).

So what do you expect from these guys or thoughts in general?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I don't expect Michael to do much until he learns how to block and pick up blitzes. Until then, he's no good to the coaching staff.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
And Simon needs to heal from his surgery on the OTHER foot (same ailment). I have high hopes for Hill but am not confident about Monstar. Hope he bulked up.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
RB Christine Michael - needs to break into the active roster, if he's Lynch's successor, I for one would like to find out while there's still rookie contract to benefit from.

CB Tharold Simon - snakebit with injuries like WT3 and BMax early on, I suspect we won't be seeing his number much.

DT Jordan Hill - I heard he needs to anchor against the run better, I'm hoping Clinton McDonald stays so he has awhile to learn how.

DT Jesse Williams - Need someone to show they can replace Red Bryant who's expensive and almost 30. It's between Scruggs and him, IMO.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I like how it's assumed that Michael can't block. Maybe they knew they could put him on ice and develop him for a year. They spent a 2nd rounder on a RB for a reason. I trust that the goal is to have him ready as an RB1 in 2015.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mjwhitay":38832va1 said:
I like how it's assumed that Michael can't block. Maybe they knew they could put him on ice and develop him for a year. They spent a 2nd rounder on a RB for a reason. I trust that the goal is to have him ready as an RB1 in 2015.

Why do you think people are "assuming" he has blocking issues? Pete has said that he still needed to work on picking up blitzes and blocking assignments etc. when he was asked why he's not being activated. Nobody is ASSUMING he has issues, we are going by what Carroll has said and there's absolutely no reason to believe otherwise. Anyone who doesn't believe it is the one who is ASSUMING things.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":28p9w0ih said:
mjwhitay":28p9w0ih said:

Why do you think people are "assuming" he has blocking issues? Pete has said that he still needed to work on picking up blitzes and blocking assignments etc. when he was asked why he's not being activated. Nobody is ASSUMING he has issues, we are going by what Carroll has said and there's absolutely no reason to believe otherwise. Anyone who doesn't believe it is the one who is ASSUMING things.

Couldn't have said it better. Pete has never been shy about playing rookies early. In fact, he seems to relish it. When asked, Pete has stated these exact reasons as to why Michael wasn't activated more. It had nothing to do with pure running ability. It had everything to do with blocking assignments in which Lynch and Turbin were simply more accustomed. Add in some injuries and shuffling on the Offensive Line coupled with Wilson taking way too many hits this year (and an injured shoulder since mid season to boot) and it is quite clear why Michael was held out. He'll be a great back for us in the future.

Simon started the season on PUP so it wasn't a surprise that he wasn't discussed more once the season began. Same with Williams, who went on IR during 53 man cut down.

Hill was injured most of the season. It didn't matter in the long run due to the emergence of Michael Bennett and the rejuvenation of Clinton McDonald in the pass rush.

I'm excited for what these players may show in the future.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Just because he's not as good as Lynch and Turbin doesn't mean he can't block. A lot of what I read makes it seem like he's a lost cause because he never got to those guy's level this season. I think we just have a surplus of backs and he was the odd man out, especially with the blocking that was going to be necessary with all the OLine issues.

jblaze

Reaction score
They red shirted, they'll play this year.

Hard to break in on this roster but once contracts start coming due and people walk, they'll step in.

Regarding Michael, is it just me or does he seem like a total egomaniac diva? I always see him strutting around like he's hot stuff and his tweets are ridiculous.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I think Jesse Williams will be groomed to compete with Scruggs to take over Red's spot at RDE. Jesse can also play 3T in base packages, taking over Tony McDaniel's vacated spot.

Jordan Hill will take over Clint McDonalds spot at NT on passing downs.

Tical21

Reaction score
Michael has to have some kind of attitude problem or work ethic issue or something of the like. You don't need to learn how to block to get a handoff every now and again. The only thing I've heard from Pete is that he "isn't quite there yet", which to me means character wise. He's got to get into the rotation next year.

Hill needs to make McDonald replaceable. Get there. He's shown flashes. If McDonald will take a 1 year deal for 3 million, great, but I doubt it'll happen. Hill needs to take that role for pennies on the dollar.

I'm in wait-and-see on Jesse Williams. Dude just got man-handled when he was in there. I am not relying on that guy right now.

Who knows about Simon? I've never seen the guy play in my life that I can recall. Gonna be tough getting on the field though.

Seaswab

Reaction score
If Michael can't block then why in the hell did we spend a 2nd round pick on him?

He had no issue being a total clown on stage at the Super Bowl celebration despite the fact he contributed nothing to the team all year. How about doing something, then you can be a total idiot on stage.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":89he5nkz said:
Michael has to have some kind of attitude problem or work ethic issue or something of the like. You don't need to learn how to block to get a handoff every now and again. The only thing I've heard from Pete is that he "isn't quite there yet", which to me means character wise. He's got to get into the rotation next year.

Hill needs to make McDonald replaceable. Get there. He's shown flashes. If McDonald will take a 1 year deal for 3 million, great, but I doubt it'll happen. Hill needs to take that role for pennies on the dollar.

I'm in wait-and-see on Jesse Williams. Dude just got man-handled when he was in there. I am not relying on that guy right now.

Who knows about Simon? I've never seen the guy play in my life that I can recall. Gonna be tough getting on the field though.

You don't activate a player based on his ability to take a handoff in situations where we are up by so many points that all we do is hand the ball off. That is the only scenario in which you don't need to know how to block.

In normal in game situations, there is a play call. That play will be adjusted at the line of scrimmage depending on how the defense lines up and what kind of look they are giving the offense. If they end up seeing a passing situation and check into this, the RB needs to be able to read that defense and find the proper assignment on who to block in a moments notice. No RB goes out into the game to "just run the ball".

Most of the guys on this list are going to be interesting to keep an eye on this off season and especially training camp. Many guys make a huge jump in the second year because they work hard and use this first off season to complete their training. There is so much focus on game plans that a lot of the younger guys don't get the work in season as they will during the off season. I think several from this group could find themselves worked into the game plan, including Michael. Of course he's going to have to earn his spot like everyone else.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
kidhawk":excttxpa said:
mjwhitay":excttxpa said:

True that was said but how hard can it be to figure out how to block?

This is his job. He has nothing else to do. We are not asking him to learn oncology.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think most NFL coaches place high value on pass-blocking from their RBs. C.J. Spiller didn't play much early in his career because he couldn't block. Andre Ellington averaged 5.5 ypc, but he's getting back-up reps in AZ because Arians doesn't trust him in pass protection.

The one point I'll co-sign is that I think Michael might be less physical than the coaches were initially hoping. Judging by their draft-day comments, I think they were expecting more of a bruiser. Michael looks more slippery at the pro level. He's definitely a dynamic runner, but I wonder if his ceiling is being more of a situational RB in Carroll's system. I think Carroll is always going to want a punisher as his feature back.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tical21":1i41ouzz said:

Pete went into great length in pressers, when asked, about Michael specifically struggling in pass protection. The third string running back is not a hot topic for the press corp.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":wa9akbk4 said:
kidhawk":wa9akbk4 said:
mjwhitay":wa9akbk4 said:

This is his job. He has nothing else to do. We are not asking him to learn oncology.

As I stated in my 2nd post in this thread, it's not just HOW to block, but who to block and to be able to read NFL defenses on a moments notice. If the RB cannot do this then one of two things happens, either you limit your QB's ability to adjust plays to the defense he sees, which would have a huge impact on the ability for the offense to function, or you open up the high likelihood of a missed assignment and your QB getting killed.

I'm sure the issues with Michael aren't just a simple "teach him to block", but learning all the nuances of the NFL game takes a lot of work. Pete even compared it to Turbin's situation in his first year. He said Turbin was hardly used because he was still learning all he needed to learn in his first year. Not every Rookie is ready to play out of the gate. Some take more time to develop into the level necessary to play with other NFLers. I wouldn't be concerned at all unless it carries through the off season and into next season. I think with more time to learn his craft, Michael will see a role in the upcoming season.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2rfdl70a said:
kidhawk":2rfdl70a said:
mjwhitay":2rfdl70a said:

Russell Wilson had a shoulder injury and a banged up o-line most of the year. Pete had to be sure. He trusted Lynch and Turbin more. You only get 46 men on your roster on gameday.