Bennett not open to home town discount

Hawknballs

Reaction score
He deserves a competitive contract. He's been underpaid and last year took his one year prove it deal.

would suck to lose him but we've been fortunate to have had this super bowl team put together.

MagHawk

Reaction score
I don't think he is claiming he wants to break the bank - just that he thinks he deserves to be paid well.

After the year he had, and the part he played in our championship run - I think he is correct in that.

plyka

Reaction score
I love Bennett and hope he does break the bank --just not in Seattle. It is a plain fact, I've heard countless coaches relay the same thing: the problem after superbowl victories is that each player "wants his." Whether that's fame, money, whatever. Usually they believe they are superbowl champs and deserve to get paid big time, from the QB to the janitor in the back room.

This is what takes teams down. So, Bennett played excellently, he is a big part of the reason why this team won, but I think it's probably best to let him go. You can't pay people even what they are FAIRLY worth, because this is a superbowl team, and FAIRLY is pretty high for all the players on this team right now. I would hope the Hawks allow him to leave.

Again, Sherman called this last week sometime. Give it to Sherm, he is a smart kid.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
He may deserve to get paid, he may not be able to get paid and stay here.

I think he will have to choose more money or better environment, but I do think he will get a fair offer here.

I really do think he will be able to find more money elsewhere, but I'd like him to stay.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think everyone assumed he'd be giving a hometown discount when there was no mention of him giving one at all, however according to that link and quote (or maybe im taking it out of context considering it is in text and not a soun clip) His @ss won't be back next yr, and he'll want to much money. And according on the 6th he want to get paid, so see ya Bennett, go have fun with your brother. #wontbemissed Next Man Up!

I'm personally all for paying someone when they earn it, but not after 1 year of great plays, I prefer at least 2-3.

Well shit I forgot his @ss is an Aggie no wonder he wants more money..

Wartooth

Reaction score
More than likely if he does go down the road, it will be to a lesser team.
Where he will be expected to play every down to earn his big money.
Then we'll get to see if it's all him, or if he was just a key piece of an amazing defense.
It would be nice if he stays, he's a team player, and gives 110% on every play.
But if he goes elsewhere...
Next man up!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If we were able to pick up Aaron Donald and let Bennet go I would not be too sad. Aaron would be a perfect fit for us and he is an absolute stud. With all the talent in the draft I think its a definite possibility too.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Breaking the bank should be construed as taking a raise that forces the team to either let other people go or limit their potential pay increases. Essentially forcing a team to reconstruct their roster in a large way to accommodate a single player's pay.

If he has the opportunity to make a big payday, that's fine. There just shouldn't be any expectation that Seattle should pay him by "breaking the bank". Their focus is on the team and while he contributed much, he didn't carry the team.

As was mentioned, take a big pay increase probably somewhere not as enjoyable or take a smaller pay raise at the best program in the NFL.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Well he did come here on a show-me one year contract and played out of his mind. He deserves to be paid what he's worth. Who knows if we'll be willing to do it but I will miss him if he's gone

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Not that I think that Bennett would give the Hawks a material 'discount' to re-sign, but to set the record straight he did NOT say he wouldn't be open to it. The question he was asked was "Is there such a thing as a hometown discount in the NFL?," in response to Golden Tate's recent comments. To which Bennett said no, with some qualifying comments. It's not at all out of the realm of possibility that Bennett could re-sign with the Hawks despite the Hawks not offering the most guaranteed money or highest AAV.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
If he decides to leave for greener pastures, then good on him. He will always be fondly remembered in Seattle as a key part of one of the best defenses of all time.

Exittium

Reaction score
Well back on the 6th of the month from the same site they said he's: "Bennett is angling for the multi-year pact he missed out on last year. " So maybe the the Hawks can do something more long term so he gets "paid" without backing Seattle into a corner having to cut players so he gets his pay.

Jac

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3fq1yrym said:
Not that I think that Bennett would give the Hawks a material 'discount' to re-sign, but to set the record straight he did NOT say he wouldn't be open to it. The question he was asked was "Is there such a thing as a hometown discount in the NFL?," in response to Golden Tate's recent comments. To which Bennett said no, with some qualifying comments. It's not at all out of the realm of possibility that Bennett could re-sign with the Hawks despite the Hawks not offering the most guaranteed money or highest AAV.

Yeah, I think the rotoworld quote can be read a little bit out of context. It almost comes across as aggressive or adversarial, whereas the actual interview was much more playful and joking. I think the Seahawks can/will offer him a 'big' contract that doesn't destroy the bank like an Albert Haynesworth number. I read something on the Patriots board when discussing the Seahawks cap issues going forward, and I think it makes alot of sense. You don't get in salary cap trouble giving out big contracts. You get in salary cap trouble by giving those kinds of contracts to the wrong players. Bennett is worth the investment.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Look at the hole Detroit has put themselves in with Suh... we don't need that. Let him go somewhere that will pay him what he wants and wish him the best when he's not playing against us.

JS/PC will figure something out. If they've discovered anything, it's that you don't make it to the Superb Owl without a pass rush.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The market was so bad for pass rushers last year. How much money will he even be able to get? Outside of the Browns' stupid Paul Kruger contract, didn't Avril get the second biggest contract for a pass rusher? It seems like even if Bennet gets nice raise, it could still be affordable for the Hawks. I'm of the opinion that you've got to keep him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not completely fair to compare Tate and Bennett. Bennett's 28, he doesn't have another contract ahead of him like Tate and these other younger players. So it's hard to blame him for wanting to get as much as he can.

BUT, I still say he'd take a little less to come back here over somewhere else where he'll lose 12 games a year and never sniff the playoffs again.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I think the simplest scenario to keep Bennett would involve cutting Chris Clemmons and saving 7.5 million against the cap.

If we can't keep Bennett we do have the benefit of Seattle being so attractive to pass rushers looking for a 1-2 year rental to hunt for a big contract. This system combined with the 12th man advantage can allow pass rushers to thrive. Best case scenario we're looking for another Avril and Bennett type situation like last years FA period. By no means am i saying you're guaranteed to get someone like Bennett, but you do have a leg up against other teams in the Pass Rusher market.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1mr7puwv said:
Look at the hole Detroit has put themselves in with Suh... we don't need that. Let him go somewhere that will pay him what he wants and wish him the best when he's not playing against us.

JS/PC will figure something out. If they've discovered anything, it's that you don't make it to the Superb Owl without a pass rush.

Suh's cap hit is more than anybody's in the league. Bennett will get his but it won't even be close to breaking the bank or holding a team back with his cap hit