12th man overload? when is it enough?

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
This is a topic that was being discussed a bit in the Super Bowl ring thread but i think it deserves its own thread...

Does anyone else feel like all this focus on the 12th man is taking some of the glory away from the team/players? The week before the game i kept thinking how everywhere i looked there was a 12 and barely any SEAHAWKS flags/logos around the city. Are we rooting for a team or are we rooting for ourselves? The 12th man is the SEAHAWKS fan base so i guess by default a 12 flag is a SEAHAWKS flag? Something about that doesn't seem quite right though. How long until they start to sort of resent the whole 12 thing, They did after all win the Super Bowl. not us.

Happy

Reaction score
chimpanjesus":irs7po5i said:
Something about that doesn't seem quite right though. How long until they start to sort of resent the whole 12 thing, They did after all win the Super Bowl. not us.

I beg to differ.

Crowd noise had *A LOT* to do with the safety and subsequent decision by the the Denver offense to switch to a silent count. After that the defense was able to decode some of the hand signals, likely because Denver was not prepared to play with a silent count.

No question in my mind the 12th man had a tangible impact in that game. 2 points to start, then altering the way the offense made adjustments pre-snap.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The identity of the Hawks are tied to the 12's. That's what makes the team's story unique. Paul Allen and the NFL loves the level of fan involvement the team garners. There is no doubt in my mind that the league would love what we have for every team. That's why they play it up so much. And I disagree that it is a distraction, if anything it draws very positive attention. What you will hear from other teams fans is jealousy.

A 12 forever.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not one bit, the team loevs the 12's and the 12's love the team, everyone accepts we can influence portions of the game as fans, but the execution of the on field play is totally on the players. The medai comments on the 12's but goes right to the players.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I read a LOT of national media online just to see what the rest of the country is saying about us, and I see quite a few quotes referring to us as the "vaunted" 12th man. So it has moved past the "oh, isn't that cute" phase, and well into the "Real Thing" phase. And the Super Bowl proved that we don't need Century Link field, or even a packed house of 12's to cause major disruption. It proves, to me anyways, that we are truly LOUDER than all other fan bases, hands down, end the competition now... we are a DOMINANT force that alters games. The 12th man really IS the 12th man. We proved it loud and clear in not only the SB, but in other venues around the NFL this season. And that is as cool as it gets if you're a Seahawks fan... Right up there with the "Legion" and the "Beast". :179417:

Happy

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1i0kkii4 said:
We proved it loud and clear in not only the SB, but in other venues around the NFL this season. And that is as cool as it gets if you're a Seahawks fan... Right up there with the "Legion" and the "Beast". :179417:

Why not us?

:)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I have a jersey, #12, I'm part of the team. There's just no other way to see it. NO ONE has it as good as us.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I love that they have a national reputation and that they brought it at the Super Bowl. That being said, I think it gets overdone when fans start doing stuff like flying "12" banners over opposing stadiums. Don't see the practical benefit in that besides getting in the papers and riling up the opposition.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3vk5jyuq said:
The more talk about the Twelves they hear, the more this team understands how much they mean to all of us. The Twelves are nothing without the team; the team is boosted by the Twelves.

Perfect!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Does seem a little bit like it's entering overkill category at this point. I'm guessing that it looks to the country like that stupid Angels' Rally Monkey looked to us.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
In my opinion, it gets to be overkill when fans want a 12 on the superbowl ring. There is no doubt that the team loves the fans and realizes their impact but a 12 on the ring just seems cheesy to me.

Cartire

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":79w60qn7 said:
In my opinion, it gets to be overkill when fans want a 12 on the superbowl ring. There is no doubt that the team loves the fans and realizes their impact but a 12 on the ring just seems cheesy to me.

We have a 12 on the official uniforms. NIKE knew what was up.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
As for the OP's question, never enough. The 12s and the team have a symbiotic relationship with each other that push each other beyond any physical limitations towards greatness (SB win, all pros, pro bowls, legendary defense, breaking world records, invading and taking over opposing team's stadiums ect.). This team is great and would have won a title eventually with a different fanbase but I ascertain it would not be this soon nor would the defense have the impact it has had. Lastly, without the 12s doing what they do best, making some noise, this team is playing in Anaheim period.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
THUGCAPS":3sa4kerg said:
Cheesy or not, to diminish the impact of THIS fanbase on the team is to deny reality. A ring? sure why not, no fanbase has the impact close to what the 12s bring to the outcome of a game.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Never can over do it. We need to accept we're a Superbowl team and for now an elite team. We're getting the amount of coverage elite teams get and the 12th man is part of this team's identity. It just seems strange because we are too close to it.

Rather than over analysing it, I'm going to enjoy it.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
A little "12" on the ring... CHEESY???? PSHAW! I would think all the players would require it being on the ring! Sheesh.... C'mon man! I would be very disappointed if there isn't a little "12" on the ring somewhere... It HAS to be... Right?