Question on ET & Sherm extensions

MVP53

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the board, but have been reading for a while & this seems like a great Hawks community. I look forward to contributing.

If the Hawks extend ET & Sherman prior to the start of next season, when do those contracts go into force & thus have cap implications?

Would both play out their existing rookie contracts, then any new deal would be effective starting in 2015? Or would any new deal supersede their rookie deals & go into affect in 2014?

If it's the former, it will be interesting to see if the Hawks try to sign a FA or 2 to 1 year deals before the impending big contracts start squeezing cap space.

Thanks for any input & go Hawks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MVP53":2e1caf28 said:
Hey guys, new to the board, but have been reading for a while & this seems like a great Hawks community. I look forward to contributing.

If the Hawks extend ET & Sherman prior to the start of next season, when do those contracts go into force & thus have cap implications?

Would both play out their existing rookie contracts, then any new deal would be effective starting in 2015? Or would any new deal supersede their rookie deals & go into affect in 2014?

If it's the former, it will be interesting to see if the Hawks try to sign a FA or 2 to 1 year deals before the impending big contracts start squeezing cap space.

Earl got his rookie contract before the rookie cap, so he's actually scheduled to make over $5 million in his final season, so it will be pretty easy to make a contract that will basically have zero impact on the cap this year.

As for Sherman, it really depends on a lot of factors such as how they word the contract and when they actually sign the deal. I would guess they will arrange it to work in the best interest of the long term needs of the team, but depending on who all we sign this year and what they plan for next year, it can vary too much to give a really good answer to your question.

OP
OP
M

MVP53

Reaction score
kidhawk":2kyi0vpz said:
MVP53":2kyi0vpz said:

Earl got his rookie contract before the rookie cap, so he's actually scheduled to make over $5 million in his final season, so it will be pretty easy to make a contract that will basically have zero impact on the cap this year.

As for Sherman, it really depends on a lot of factors such as how they word the contract and when they actually sign the deal. I would guess they will arrange it to work in the best interest of the long term needs of the team, but depending on who all we sign this year and what they plan for next year, it can vary too much to give a really good answer to your question.

Thanks for the quick reply. So basically, on Sherm, just depends on how it's worded & how they want to spread out the cap hit?

Makes sense.

mikeak

Reaction score
It will most definately be extension with signing bonus for Sherman. That way he will only count against the cap with a couple of millions by say a $10 million signing bonus over a 5 year deal puts $2million plus base salary (was some $800k this year so probably about $1M) against the cap this year.

Then if you redo Earl's contract you can put a low salary for this year, signing bonus as well which will bring down the cap hit this year and basically resign these two players without adding anything to the cap compared to where we stand right now. Now the issue will be upcoming years......

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":g6x74vnh said:
It will most definately be extension with signing bonus for Sherman. That way he will only count against the cap with a couple of millions by say a $10 million signing bonus over a 5 year deal puts $2million plus base salary (was some $800k this year so probably about $1M) against the cap this year.

Then if you redo Earl's contract you can put a low salary for this year, signing bonus as well which will bring down the cap hit this year and basically resign these two players without adding anything to the cap compared to where we stand right now. Now the issue will be upcoming years......

I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't lose at least SOME cap room when we extend these two. Earl's deal will likely break down to even out his cap for the year, and honestly I just can't see it bringing his cap space down to less than $4 million this year. Sherman's deal will likely add a few million to the cap as he's only around $700,000 now, so any signing bonus would likely doublt that amount before we add his salary (which will still have to be around what it is now.

I believe we can get these deals done fairly easily this year, but the question is how to set them up so they don't stretch us so far out that we don't have the money for Wilson next season. That is going to be paramount in every deal we sign this year. The team has to be looking forward to signing Wilson to his long term deal in every contract they sign this year.

Honestly I can see them overpaying a few older players now with the thought that they won't be here after this up coming season. It will be an interesting off season for our front office

jblaze

Reaction score
Thomas was set to make around 5m this year. Extensions usually have a low cap hit in year one so while Thomas' would be around 3-4m hit this year which is consistent with what we've been paying if we model his extension after Weddle for example from last year, Sherman on the other hand's would be significantly more. Sherman made 1.5m this year after contract escalations due to the all-pro season but his year 1 cap number would be relatively low as well but probably around 5-6m.

One interesting thing of note here is that the salary cap is expected to jump 10-15% in 2015 when new tv contract money comes into play. GM and players know this so they've been writing contracts and lengths to take advantage of that. So for instance, they're taking larger cap hits in 2015 while keeping the numbers lower in 2014 and after 2015. Also free agents have been signing deals that end after 2014 so they can get big money in 2015 when everyone has cap space.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Some contracts tear up the old one and start anew. Other's may keep the same base salary as the existing one (for the final year) but adds 4 years and then provides the player with a large signing to offset the low first "new year" of the contract.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We get Sherman for two more years . . . and then who knows?

$1.39 million in 2014

$11-13 million in 2015 with the franchise tag.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Hawknation.. I think Sherman will hold out if he not granted a new deal this offseason and I would not blame him one bit.

Okung is prime for an extension because his cap hit this season is 11.2M and OT are not getting that kind of money any more. He has two years left on his current deal, but I think as soon as he gets about 4-5yr deal worth about 8-9M per, we are prime to renegotiate both Earl and Sherm.

jblaze

Reaction score
Agreed. I'd like to get everyone extended/restructured who was on the old CBA contract. Those contracts were crazy and single handedly destroyed salary caps.

I remember when Bradford got his #1 overall contract and his contract was for more money overall and guaranteed money than Brady at the time. Something seriously wrong with that when you're making more than a HOF player when you haven't even taken a snap.

Latest posts