Percy Harvins Godlike explosivness

blazen2392

Reaction score
Is it just me or does Percy Harvin seem unusually fast even by NFL standards?

I was rewatching the superbowl and i don't think i've seen a 10 yard first time gained so fast. He crossed the line before the defense had enough time to react to him. Its scary to think what kind of impact he would have had if he had been healthy. Hes a legitimate threat to score a touchdown EVERY single time he touches the ball in any way, whether its out of the back field, in the slot, returns, anything. He breaks enough tackles and bye bye. Any number of people we will lose on offense next year will be completely offset by this dude if he stays healthy.

The seahawks are probably on of the only teams that don't feel the impacts of injuries like most teams in the nfl. Our next man up philosophy is becoming ridiculously scary. Our performance next year will tell us if we are on the verge of a dynasty.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's possible he may actually be faster now than he was before. I forget if it was Percy or Carroll that said he had new movement in his hip that he had never had before a while after the surgery, but...His speed was already preternatural. Now it may be even something past that. I can't wait to see him next season.

Ruminator

Reaction score
blazen2392":1k0gbryp said:

I was rewatching the superbowl and i don't think i've seen a 10 yard first time gained so fast. He crossed the line before the defense had enough time to react to him. Its scary to think what kind of impact he would have had if he had been healthy. Hes a legitimate threat to score a touchdown EVERY single time he touches the ball in any way, whether its out of the back field, in the slot, returns, anything. He breaks enough tackles and bye bye. Any number of people we will lose on offense next year will be completely offset by this dude if he stays healthy.

The seahawks are probably on of the only teams that don't feel the impacts of injuries like most teams in the nfl. Our next man up philosophy is becoming ridiculously scary. Our performance next year will tell us if we are on the verge of a dynasty.

While I'm not ordinarily inclined to celebrate something prematurely, 2014 and beyond is looking awfully good. I've watched the Percy Harvin highlights (all as Viking), and I look forward to the day when someone releases a new edition of a Percy Harvin career highlights reel where highlights as a Seahawk completely dominate. What a near-embarrassment of riches that'd be for Seattle.

Crizilla

Reaction score
the only thing that scares me is if he hits a defender at full speed and screws up his hip again. He's so quick it's like you know hes either going to break the hole and go all the away and hit something really hard

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
blazen2392":1qdid547 said:

Any number of people we will lose on offense next year will be completely offset by this dude if he stays healthy.

....and that is a mighty big "if"!! :shock:

theascension

Reaction score
Even if he doesn't survive who cares? Russell Wilson had 4 pylons and a stick guarding him half the year, he could throw touchdowns to a 3 legged dog. If he does survive god help any opponent though.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Crizilla":2hqg1d62 said:
the only thing that scares me is if he hits a defender at full speed and screws up his hip again. He's so quick it's like you know hes either going to break the hole and go all the away and hit something really hard

Agreed. I love what Percy brings to the table but I think he takes too many unnecessary hits. Perhaps a season spent in rehab will cure him of this. Not playing scared by any means, just throttling back a bit. The guy is fearless and has sought contact big time; maybe because when he was with the Vikes he thought he had to do too much. Lots of help here... I would love to see little more judicious use of that blazing speed so we can keep him around awhile, and just as importantly, so the guy can walk normally for the rest of his life.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can we keep him on IR again, until the next Superbowl? I mean ... we didn't need him to reach this one and when he came, he shocked the world (I mean the Broncos D and Special team).
That was a masterful plan from Pete.
Let's do it again ...

HawkSquawk

Reaction score
He was like that at Florida. Just insanely fast.

In fact I remember when Demps (a track star) came after Harvin but it just wasn't the same. Harvin's acceleration is world class.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Percy is the fastest guy in pads that I have ever seen.

He might be a track star, but with a football in his hands he is next level.

And he will be 100% next season.

Seafan

Reaction score
Someone on the team during Super Bowl week said he had 4.1 speed. With his ability to change directions at nearly full speed and move laterally as quickly as he does it makes sense why Pete and John went after this guy. There's likely no one else like him in the league.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The biggest thing that makes Percy so damn explosive is he gets north / south immediately. He's not a big guy, so some associate him with previous scat back type players. We see most smaller guys get east / west a lot...if not looking for holes, looking for safety. That ain't Harvin.

His quickness allows him to juke defenders with very little sideways movement. it's a feint to the left, a quick wiggle to the right and movements so subtle that he loses very little top speed in the process. Many are as fast as Harvin, but few have his quickness, and it's that quickness that enables him to play very fast.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theascension":dgjkjlr6 said:
Even if he doesn't survive who cares? Russell Wilson had 4 pylons and a stick guarding him half the year, he could throw touchdowns to a 3 legged dog. If he does survive god help any opponent though.
EXACTLY!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Didn't you see the 'walk with me' Harvin highlight YouTube that was linked here during the season? That man makes fast look slow. He would be running beside a defender at the 50, and when he's entering the end zone the defender is back at the 20 running as fast as he can. He's a freak of nature.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I feel that Harvin's ability to run and cut without loosing speed is an amazing talent. We Seahawks used to have someone else like that who had that uncanny ability. Our very own Steve Largent. That is was a big part of his success. He could make moves but still retain his speed. Now the overall speed compared between the two (Harvin vs. Largent) is not even close but the ability to do what they do shocks and surprises defenders. That is something watching on film can't train you for. It feels good to have them on our side.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I feel that Harvin's ability to run and cut without loosing speed is an amazing talent. We Seahawks used to have someone else like that who had that uncanny ability. Our very own Steve Largent. That is was a big part of his success. He could make moves but still retain his speed. Now the overall speed compared between the two (Harvin vs. Largent) is not even close but the ability to do what they do shocks and surprises defenders. That is something watching on film can't train you for. It feels good to have them on our side.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":2kk6gxbf said:
The biggest thing that makes Percy so damn explosive is he gets north / south immediately. He's not a big guy, so some associate him with previous scat back type players. We see most smaller guys get east / west a lot...if not looking for holes, looking for safety. That ain't Harvin.

His quickness allows him to juke defenders with very little sideways movement. it's a feint to the left, a quick wiggle to the right and movements so subtle that he loses very little top speed in the process. Many are as fast as Harvin, but few have his quickness, and it's that quickness that enables him to play very fast.

You are STILL saying this after watching the Super Bowl?! I'm at a loss for words.

The fly sweeps he ran didn't involve 'quickness' they were executed on speed alone. Same with the KO return. Yes, he juked a few defenders with quickness, but once he was free, he pulled away from the pack in convincing fashion. He actually 'shifted gears,' while running in a straight line, which has NOTHING to do with maintaining speed by minimizing movement. You are so determine to stay with that "quickness" argument that you are creating arguments that are not consistent with what we are seeing on the field. It's OK to admit you are wrong once in awhile. :mrgreen:

Latest posts