49ers Super Bowl teams would beat us to a pulp?

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
...That seems to have replaced the rhetoric of "We won 5 Super Bowls. Where's yours?" as the Niner fans favorite fall back. I've noticed it recited by homers on their forums.

It only really makes me laugh. How can you not? WE WON the Super Bowl! THIS Super Bowl. Niners haven't won in 20 years, and suddenly they're feeling insecure.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... l-history/

But for fun: How do you guys think we'd stack up against the 1994/5 49ers with Montana or Young? They certainly walloped the Chargers in the Super Bowl.

But I'd say that the way our defense played against Denver...No ONE could beat us that night. Not Joe Namath, not Joe Montana, not Steve Young, not Manning...either Manning (obviously). Not Favre or Marino...

I think the 2013 'Hawks are a top 5 NFL all-time defense...And probably the top 2 or 3 in defensive Super Bowl performances ever. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that their opponent was the actual #1 offense in NFL regular season history.

chris98251

Reaction score
It would be another bloodbath, those 49er teams had good defense, I think it would be low scoring, Rice, Tyler, Craig, Taylor would be hit like never before. Then again Lott and the 49er defense had a lot of great stars as well. The mobility of Wilson would be the difference against the LB speed.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Interesting statements in that blog post by Tasker: http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/02/05 ... l-history/

“In my opinion, I would say you could pick any quarterback of all time, on their best day with their best offense, and put it on the field against the Seattle Seahawks the other night and they lose,” Tasker said. “That Seattle Seahawks team would have chewed up any offense I’ve ever seen and spit ‘em out.”

Kaepernick has struggled as a passer in four career starts against Seattle, posting three touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 54.0 rating.

He’ll get at least two more chances next season against a defense that in 2013 became the first to lead the NFL in yards allowed, points allowed and takeaways since the 1985 Bears. That Chicago unit is often termed the best in NFL history, but Tasker insists it now takes a backseat to a Seattle defense that employs a no-frills, line-up-and-play attack.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It would be a close matchup honestly those were epic teams with THE best quarterback ever. It does depend on which rules are being used, if Seattle gets to use 1980's-90's rules it could get illegally ugly.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The 9ers had a series of all $tar teams. Arguably the greatest in history. But I don't see any team absolutely throttling this 13 hawk team. Not with our D. But to be fair, the 9ers were loaded on both sides and whether they were throwing Craig and Tyler at you, or Rice and Taylor at you, they were just an incredibly hard team to defense. And their defenses were much like ours today. Solid line play, great LBs and a stud secondary. BUT...Lott and company would have great difficulty playing under today's rules too, IMO.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":433lb22n said:
It would be a close matchup honestly those were epic teams with THE best quarterback ever. It does depend on which rules are being used, if Seattle gets to use 1980's rules it could get illegally ugly.

Exactly. Bill Walsh was a proponent of the smaller and mobile offensive lines as well. The SF team relied on fast defense and the spread defense that's common today. Seattle would have destroyed them. Players are bigger, faster and more athletic today.

korboko

Reaction score
Their window of opportunity is closing. What if the Cardinals knock them out of the playoffs next year?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
scakfan":2ftf3v0z said:
AAAhhh Dufus
It's the offseason and he had a deadline. The ONLY reason San Francisco has a chance is because they have Montana. That man was MONEY. Look at what he did with Kansas City with worse a worse team and worse physical tools then Pey Pey and under harsher rules no less.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Did Montana, or Young ever throw for 5,477 yards?
Hell, I thought Peyton Manning was THE best Quarterback to EVER play the game, buuuut, apparently, he was nothing compared to Montana & Young eh?

The 49rs fans are so butt hurt by the way that the Seahawks cleaned their players clocks, that they just can't bring themselves to admit, that they are LOSERS.

FACT> Steve Largent said awhile back, that players now days are faster, and bigger than the teams of yesteryear.
This Seahawks Secondary are way bigger, smarter and faster than any that were playing as a group back then.
So, They can speculate how prolific their Super Bowl Champions were back then all they want, but the truth is, MY speculations are every bit as VALID as ANY of theirs, and I say, there's no way in hell for them to prove that the 49rs of old, could hang with the Seahawks of new.
I've heard it said, (and I believe it's true), that NOBODY could have beaten the Seahawks in that game, NOBODY :141847_bnono:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":nfh77ybh said:
It would be a close matchup honestly those were epic teams with THE best quarterback ever. It does depend on which rules are being used, if Seattle gets to use 1980's-90's rules it could get illegally ugly.
Not to pick on you, but people were saying almost exactly that same thing about Manning and the Broncos. I have the same problem with this statement that I had with those statements -- neither Manning nor Montana ever went undefeated. Both of them are decidedly beatable. Teams beat them.

It is an interesting point about which set of rules such a game would hypothetically be played under. If Ronnie Lott had to play with today's rules, would he be as effective? Or would he just get flagged and fined a lot? But either way, I think our defense has the advantage, simply because of team speed. And just like the Manning who set NFL records never saw a defense like ours until we clobbered them, Montana would also not have seen a defense like ours. Until we clobbered them.

I love our '84 defense. People talk about this year's defense as historic -- that defense truly was historic. But put to the test, our current defense beats that defense, for all the same reasons: Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Louder.

(edit) Of course, it would work the same for the Digits defense of today playing some other great team from the 70's or 80's. Back then, 300# offensive linemen were unheard-of.

As a side note, I read part of that Digits forum thread. Digit tears are delicious, and it is highly entertaining to see them spin themselves up over a contrary opinion.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The short answer is that the '13 Seahawks would be heavily favored against the '84 49ers if they played on a neutral field via a time machine.

The long answer is that you just can't compare football teams across 30 year gaps because NFL athletes get bigger, stronger and faster every year. Sports science has advanced in leaps and bounds along with modern medicine. The NFL has also broadened to include a much larger pool of potential players which increases competition in every age bracket and results in the ones who make the NFL simply being better players. A middling modern NFL team like the '13 Rams would probably beat the '85 bears more often than not.

That doesn't mean that teams from previous eras cannot be considered among the best, because the players on that team did not have all of the advantages that modern NFL athletes have. All of the players on previous championship teams would be better themselves if they played today. The flaw is in any question that tries to compare players across eras based on the advantages they had at the time. Babe Ruth taken right out of the 1920's probably couldn't make the Mariners' A farm team, but if he had been born in the modern era and followed the same career path there is certainly a chance that things could have still gone well for him.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
lol, those 70's Stealers SB teams would have eaten the 80's 9ers for lunch too.

But the 60's Packers would have wiped the floor with both.

And so on.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1ibo04et said:
lol, those 70's Stealers SB teams would have eaten the 80's 9ers for lunch too.

But the 60's Packers would have wiped the floor with both.

And so on.

The '67 Packers starting OL and DL each averaged less than 250 lbs and they lacked the team speed of even mid-major college teams today. They'd get crushed by the Jags.

Even the '80s teams can't match the size, speed, and strength of today's teams. The '84 49ers would have had trouble matching up physically with modern day SEC teams, much less the 2013 Seattle Seahawks. That's why its impossible to compare teams from different eras.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Is this a joke? Teams from the 60s would win zero games in today's NFL, and the 70s steelers would be lucky to win 3-4 games. Teams are on abc 40-50 lbs bigger in the trenches, even the 80 9ers would be giving up 30-40lbs. The NFL is the one sport that you can't compare eras, the athletes are just that much bigger today and faster.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Honestly the 49ers should continually earn our respect no matter how lame their team is and how big of jerks all their fans happen to be.

We are lucky to have this Super Bowl. The 49ers would have whipped us if it wasn't for their stupid offensive coordinator who seems similar to Bevell or Pete's philosophy.

Frank Gore ran 11 TIMES for 14 YARDS... 1.3 yards per carry. Talk about a lucky charm of a game for us...

If they didn't try to force the run they could have easily won. If Kaepernick wasn't such a dumb $#(^ they would of DESTROYED US.

Let's not get all high and mighty just quite yet when it comes to the 49ers, even though I believe we are on the rise and they are on the decline, they nearly beat us at home in a game where they pretty much got screwed by the refs hate to say it, it's true.

That is why I am so concerned about us improving our offensive line and retaining Golden Tate, our offense barely won the game... on one free play, talk about miraculous luck for us.

No matter how good our defense was, fact is that they very nearly beat us and the game lied on one play. I'm sorry but I don't want to have a mediocre offense next season, let Bennett go keep Tate and bring us a legit O-Line so we can win. The 49ers should NOT have been that great of a challenge to us at home, our offense was weak sauce.