Do we have to cut Red Bryant to make room for Bennett?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I would hate to see Bryant go. He's been a steady presence against the run over the last three seasons, and he's coming off of his best statistical season in terms of tackles/snap, but I get the feeing his best days are behind him. He's turning 30 in a couple months, and his body will feel more pain than it used to. I don't know if they can justify his $8.5 million salary going forward. Cutting Bryant would open up $5.5 million in cap space, with $3 million in dead money, which is a significant sum. I wonder if he would be amenable to restructuring his contract. That's a lot of dead money to leave on the table.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":idqkwegr said:
I have a feeling that either Red or Clem will be let go in order to get Bennett, Earl, and Sherman done (Okung extended too in order to lower his 11.2M cap hit).

I agree, but I think Bryant is such a vocal leader in the locker room and has such huge ties to the area and the team, that I can easily see him restructure his deal and stick around. Clemons will be 33 this year and Bryant turns 30, so they both have age creeping up on them. It wouldn't surprise me if both took less money to stay here, but Clemons has the best shot to make a bit of good money on a 2-3 year deal somewhere else. Bryant is really built for Pete's defense, I'm not sure he'd find other teams would value him as highly as we do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":f2j0flb4 said:
One word... re-structure.

Why would Red agree to restructure? Dude had another great year and is one of the main reasons our run defense is so stout.

Restructuring is about having leverage over a player due to a down year, which doesn't apply to Red.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ytwhwpw said:
onanygivensunday":1ytwhwpw said:

Why would Red agree to restructure? Dude had another great year and is one of the main reasons our run defense is so stout.

Restructuring is about having leverage over a player due to a down year, which doesn't apply to Red.

Re-structuring is about a number of factors. Do you think Brady restructures his deal every few years because they have leverage on him?

When a player has no guarantees, it does benefit them to restructure because they generally get a new signing bonus to give them a similar or greater salary with a lesser cap hit.

jblaze

Reaction score
I see Clemons and Bryant walking, no restructures.

Bryant is turning 30 and big boys like that tend to break down at that age. Also that's a big # for no pass rush numbers for a guy who plays on only 46% of snaps. He is also due $3m on March 14th in a roster bonus so the decision will come fairly shortly.

Bennett can play his DE spot on rush downs just fine. We need to get Bennett on the field more anyways. Bennett is only in on 57% of snaps.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
lsheldon":2htlo7fz said:
This article has an interesting take on Bennett. I tend to agree with much of it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... e/15810110

Interesting mention of Everson Griffen in that article. He's an even better athlete than Bennett, though also sort of a knucklehead and less consistent against the run. Pete didn't have the best experience with Griffen at USC. He was benched after a loss in 2008 (replaced with Clay Matthews) and then he was dogged for poor work ethic in 2009 (Pete's last year there).

What team is willing to pay over $8 million for Bennett?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":19qdh1dg said:
Sgt. Largent":19qdh1dg said:
onanygivensunday":19qdh1dg said:

Re-structuring is about a number of factors. Do you think Brady restructures his deal every few years because they have leverage on him?

When a player has no guarantees, it does benefit them to restructure because they generally get a new signing bonus to give them a similar or greater salary with a lesser cap hit.

I agree, if you restructure a good player, it has to have benefit to them as well is what I meant. Can't just say "hey we need to cut your salary, sorry."

I just don't want people lumping Red in with Clemons, not the same situation..........at all. We NEED Red.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lymw265t said:
I agree, if you restructure a good player, it has to have benefit to them as well is what I meant. Can't just say "hey we need to cut your salary, sorry."

I just don't want people lumping Red in with Clemons, not the same situation..........at all. We NEED Red.

Bryant is the perfect player for our DLine and our system is perfect for Bryant. He also has huge ties to Seahawks history and I am certain it all adds up to the fact that Bryant will likely play here for the rest of his career even if that means restructuring his deal (which I believe will happen)

Largent80

Reaction score
I am glad I don't have to deal with trying to manipulate all of these salaries/contracts.

I'll just be a fan of whomever suits up.

Nobody wants to lose players, but it is inevitable in the NFL.

Sac

Reaction score
Red could have left to play for the Patriots a couple years ago and didn't. That says something about his want to stay here.

drdiags

Reaction score
Maybe things have changed but the Patriots were interested in Big Red when he was a FA a couple years ago. I would bet there is a pretty good market for Bryant among the 3-4 teams.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ddnw5g0 said:
onanygivensunday":1ddnw5g0 said:

No run defender is worth that kind of money. He has no value as a pass rusher for a 2 down player he is grossly overpaid.

drdiags

Reaction score
lsheldon":3a4tvyh1 said:
This article has an interesting take on Bennett. I tend to agree with much of it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Easy for the author to say. Bennett already gave a "discount". The author sounds like a jilted lover. If Bennett wants 10M, let him and his agent figure out what the market is. Chris Clemons is close to that number at age 33, it isn't like the guy is asking for something astronomical for the positions of DE/DT that he plays. The whole "I guess he doesn't want another ring" line is self-righteous. This same guy would be waxing poetically about how them are the breaks when an athlete is asked to take a pay-cut or is terminated out of his contract to benefit the same organization that signed him to that contract.

The teams are all about me, the fans are all about me. Only seems right that the player be all about me.

plyka

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37o7f2qq said:
onanygivensunday":37o7f2qq said:

How come everyone i read about is always "one of the main reasons our defense is so stout." I know I left out "run" but that's a qualifier. You can always put something in their to make it work for each starter. Basically, everyone on the defense is somehow the MAIN REASON why the defense is so good. The point of "main" is that it is relegated to a handful --out of 11 starters, it can only be 2-3 players. And it especially cannot be a player who only plays 40% of the snaps.

Red Bryant is not a main reason for anything on this defense. Mebane for instance is much more important, even if you clarify and only look at run defense. Avril/Bennett were both more important than Red Bryant. That's 3 players just on the defensive line. Clem vs Red? Toss up.

This was a historic defense, so it has great players at every position. In my opinion, Red Bryant was one of the least important players on this defense. Wagner/WRight/Smith/Irvin --the four LBs were all more important. They tended to play more snaps than Red. All members of the LOB were more important, that's 4 players. And as said prior, Bennett/Avril/Mebane and perhaps Clem were more important on the line. Heck, I would put Mcdanial/Mcdonald in the same category as Red.

A team cannot allow sentiment to get in the way of good footballing decisions. REd is a "leader" on this team, but is he more so a leader than Robinson who was cut last year? One thing is for sure, Red is not very important to this defense, at least when compared to all the other players who get paid a fraction of his price. Red needs to understand that he got paid, now it's time for others on this team to get paid. Is it fair for Sherman to get paid $600k so Red can get his $9mil?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jlwaters1":kzormih8 said:
Sgt. Largent":kzormih8 said:
onanygivensunday":kzormih8 said:

No run defender is worth that kind of money. He has no value as a pass rusher for a 2 down player he is grossly overpaid.

He doesn't need to have value as a pass rusher. Avril has no value as a run stopper, but he's still paid well.

Red stops half of what opposing offenses are trying to do, run the ball. If that's not "vital" then I don't know what it.........and Pete/John know that. Red will be back, either at full pay or an extension to alleviate his cap hit.

plyka

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":14ki5s51 said:
Red could have left to play for the Patriots a couple years ago and didn't. That says something about his want to stay here.

Surely his massive contract here was also a reason for his decision?

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
drdiags":2mxkubyn said:
lsheldon":2mxkubyn said:

Easy for the author to say. Bennett already gave a "discount". The author sounds like a jilted lover. If Bennett wants 10M, let him and his agent figure out what the market is. Chris Clemons is close to that number at age 33, it isn't like the guy is asking for something astronomical for the positions of DE/DT that he plays. The whole "I guess he doesn't want another ring" line is self-righteous. This same guy would be waxing poetically about how them are the breaks when an athlete is asked to take a pay-cut or is terminated out of his contract to benefit the same organization that signed him to that contract.

The teams are all about me, the fans are all about me. Only seems right that the player be all about me.
ve

I think Clemons got a massive contract because he was regularly posting 50 tackle, 11 sack seasons. Bennett's production was actually slightly worse this year than it was at Tampa Bay in 2012, and he didn't command any significant multi-year deals at that time. Bennett greatly contributed to the success of the team this year, but the author is correct that he also greatly benefited from it.