Michael Bennett reportedly wants around $10 million a year

Seahawks4life

Reaction score

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Oof. If this is true, I don't think we want to keep him for quite that much, even though he's not easily replaceable at all.

Hrm. I don't envy our front office.

JonRud

Reaction score
Like everyone else here I will be very disappointed if Bennett leaves. But ultimately he was a big reason for the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl and I would hold no ill will towards him if he takes big money elsewhere.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":16a8c6hs said:
Michael Bennett may have just solidified his departure from the Super Bowl champs. Bennett, who led the Hawks in sacks this past season, reportedly wants around $10 million a year and is unwilling to take a discount to stay in Seattle. Michael Bennett After an impressive season, it makes sense that he wants to cash in

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...ksrc=story_article_msn_original_head_15810110

What do you guys think?.

I think that article is garbage from start to finish, and it's the only place I've heard that figure mentioned.

With that said, however, it would make sense for him to seek that figure as the start point in negotiations with any team out there. Most negotiations are going to involve compromise on both sides, and the final tally would come in lower than that. But if there's a team desperate enough for what Bennett brings to give him that number, you can't begrudge him for taking advantage of it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think it's a good number to start negotiations from his perspective. Any team that pays him that much is crazy. I'd give him a $10 million signing bonus over 5 years, but not an annual salary of 10 million. I think he starts at 10 and will come down for more guaranteed money up front.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
"Reportedly"

Well no one should pay him that much. Somebody might. I still think 7-8 per year gets it done.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
If a team pays him that kind of dough to be THE guy on the DL, he won't be on a team that is winning games, and they won't be getting the production that kind of money would demand. The dude can play, but he has quite a bit of talent taking attention off him on this team.

OP
OP
Seahawks4life

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
I have to agree with most if report is true and 10 is his low number than he will not be back in Seattle. Otherwise like above poster said 7-8 gets it done.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good point from the comments section:

" Remember the Houston game in which he lay motionless on the field and had to be taken away by ambulance. The immediate concern was that he would ever walk again. And yet he came back and was an integral part of the Seahawks world championship. The career of an NFL player is very short. Please don't begrudge him the opportunity to bankroll a little extra money for himself and his family"

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't think any team would pay him that. But if there is one, I doubt its the Hawks. If he can get it, good for him. See ya.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I highly doubt he commands more than 8 mill per year even on the open market. He had just as good a year last year and didn't get any offer close to that and there are more good D ends on the market this year than last.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't begrudge him trying to get his money; this is the last contract where he'll make any bank, and he really hasn't made all that much so far in his career.

That said, I'm not sure he's going to get 10 million. Someone might pay him that much, but usually elite edge rushers get that much. Is he an elite edge rusher ? I'd say borderline, although he's an elite DL talent.

I'm guessing he'll get 7 million/year with a decent amount of guaranteed money. Like Kidhawk said, the total salary amount goes down if the guaranteed amount goes up. Look at Revis' deal. he's a 16 mil/year but no guaranteed money.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We won't pay him $10 million a year. Simple as that. Would LOVE to keep him but not at that price.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If he gets 10M a year somewhere, more power to him.

We won't have a hard time finding a vet that wants to come on board and try to do the same thing Bennett did.

That said.. YardBarker is a poor mans BleacherReport.. who knows if this 'article' is even accurate.

arghawkfan

Reaction score
If he gets 10M/yr, that should give us a nice round 3/4 compensatory pick for 2015