Bob and Groz on Tate

HawkGA

Reaction score
After talking to Matt Williamson, Bob and Groz seem to think Tate will be gone. The reasoning is that there are plenty of cheaper alternatives in the draft. I actually think this makes it more likely Tate will be back. I think it means people won't be willing to pay as much for a wide receiver (I personally don't really see Tate garnering a lot of interest anyway). I suspect if he finds a market that isn't particularly hot for him, he gladly comes back. Then again, Williamson is always spot on with his predictions. :sarcasm_off:

http://mynorthwest.com/719/2460311/How- ... h-Seahawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I just don't see any teams going out of their way to give Tate more than we'd give him.

He's a slot type receiver that really played out of his position all year because of Rice's injury, not sure that has any value for other teams looking at him. If anything it hurt his value because there's not a long consistent track record of him thriving in the slot...........and there's not a long consistent track record of him out wide either. So if you're a team with cap room why give Tate 5M a year?

I think Tate will test the market, get a lot of doors slammed in his face........and come back to us for 3-4M a year, maybe even less.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Would love to have him back.. He is a Seahawks at heart and not a greedy punk like Bennett who is just ready to sell this team even for an extra dollar.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I hope we can get him back at less than 5 and be able to restructure Rice but if he leaves I wont be too worried as long as we keep Baldwin.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
seadoc30":2r7ea096 said:
Would love to have him back.. He is a Seahawks at heart and not a greedy punk like Bennett who is just ready to sell this team even for an extra dollar.
"Greedy punk" Gotta love comments like this...

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
My guess is that Seahawks way of doing things are pretty simple when it comes to situation like Tate's. They probably already know the exact contract they want to offer him. They also want the best for their players and coaches. They are probably going to ask Tate to test the FA and see how much other teams are willing to pay him and they will see if they can match their offer. If not then they would wish Tate best of luck and let him move on. NFL is such a physical sport and one injury can end your career so it's fair if Tate accepts the biggest contract he gets offered. Same with Bennett.

hawks509

Reaction score
I wouldn't say MB is a greedy punk, but I don't agree with his way of doing things nor am I huge on keeping him. Everyone wants as much as possible, which is fine, I just don't like how blatant he was about things. Really seemed like he dogged the team and only cared about money. Should have just said ideally he'd like to stay and let his agents do the talking behind the scenes. Personally I'm ok with letting him go an finding a replacement.

Tate I would like to see stay however. A true TEAM guy who does whatever it takes to get wins. Our best blocking receiver, a dependable return man, and someone who has made plenty of big catches.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
How many catches and touchdowns would Tate have in Detroit? Or Denver? Or San Diego? There are more reasons than just pure dollars for him to leave.

Shaz

Reaction score
Bennett was asked a question about Tates stance on Home Town Discounts

I don't blame him at all for saying what he said, these guys have so very little time to maximize their earnings in their career with Injury always lurking around the corner

Jville

Reaction score
Scottemojo":24b5nvrl said:
How many catches and touchdowns would Tate have in Detroit? Or Denver? Or San Diego? There are more reasons than just pure dollars for him to leave.

...... such as an unpublished preference for a pass first offense?

drdiags

Reaction score
Let's see. Bennett has only been here a year and he only signed a prove-it deal. The previous time he was here he got cut and had to scratch out a career at Tampa. He states he wants to stay, that he likes it here but because he didn't kiss the ring, fans call him greedy and not a team player. Makes sense. Tate made a mistake and let his emotions speak before his agent was able to reign him in, he is the man.

Both have agents that know you have to walk away from the table sometimes if the deal isn't right.

I think Tate and Baldwin with a high volume passing attack can be very productive WRs. Tate still reminds me of Steve Smith of the Panthers. If they didn't have such a tight cap situation, if I am the Panthers I am thinking about bringing Tate in. Baldwin would kill with the Patriots.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drdiags":1rswicgx said:
Let's see. Bennett has only been here a year and he only signed a prove-it deal. The previous time he was here he got cut and had to scratch out a career at Tampa. He states he wants to stay, that he likes it here but because he didn't kiss the ring, fans call him greedy and not a team player. Makes sense. Tate made a mistake and let his emotions speak before his agent was able to reign him in, he is the man.

Both have agents that know you have to walk away from the table sometimes if the deal isn't right.

I think Tate and Baldwin with a high volume passing attack can be very productive WRs. Tate still reminds me of Steve Smith of the Panthers. If they didn't have such a tight cap situation, if I am the Panthers I am thinking about bringing Tate in. Baldwin would kill with the Patriots.
I have been linking Baldwin to the Pats for a year now. His route running in that offense? Please.

PDX12

Reaction score
seadoc30":2zweda9y said:

Yeah, this is why people hate Seahawks fans.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Shaz":3061a076 said:
Bennett was asked a question about Tates stance on Home Town Discounts

I don't blame him at all for saying what he said, these guys have so very little time to maximize their earnings in their career with Injury always lurking around the corner

Damn straight. Look no further than game 4 in Houston when Bennett was carted off on a stretcher and c-collar.

I am sorry you had to listen to Groz and Shelton.. No one knows anything about anything with regard to Free Agency. If you would have told me that we would trade for Harvin and sign Avril and Bennett in FA last year I would looked at you like you had sh$t smeared all over you (especially after only really losing two decent starters in Branch and Hill).

Believe it or not we are in quite an enviable position in this league. SB champs with all of our core players under contract next season.

There will be some guys let go if they are not willing to restructure (Miller, Clemons, Bryant, Rice) but even if half of the guys go, we still look pretty damn good on both sides of the ball.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
seadoc30":u4zclcls said:
Just imagine me saying something here in response to you that would get me banned, because I'm sure as hell thinking it.

Penman96

Reaction score
Around 50 FA receivers to choose from and a loaded draft at the position, I can see where Bob and Groz are coming from. I can see Tate getting 2-3 million to play here. Maybe 4 million to play elsewhere. Could be though there is so much inexpensive talent out there that Tate can't make the cut next year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Penman96":2h95lbl1 said:
Around 50 FA receivers to choose from and a loaded draft at the position, I can see where Bob and Groz are coming from. I can see Tate getting 2-3 million to play here. Maybe 4 million to play elsewhere. Could be though there is so much inexpensive talent out there that Tate can't make the cut next year.
Love your optimism. I think you might be insane, but what a good kind of insanity to have.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Took Tate 2.5 seasons to become a reliable person in our passing game. What makes anyone think a rookie is going to come in and put up numbers that would make us regret not keeping him around for a little more coin?

He does have rapport with Wilson, he has gotten better every year (one of the top PR in the league his first year doing it) and he wants to be here and the feeling is reciprocal in the FO.

I bet he stays. 4 years 20m with 11 guaranteed.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think with the signing of WR Chris Matthews today and the deep WR draft, it makes his stock drop just a bit. I think a lot of teams think they can get a really good WR in the mid to late rounds that might be as good as Tate at 1/8th of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I love Tate but I don't think he's necessarily special.

Someone above likened Tate to Steve Smith, except for the speed and deep threat, sure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":iovb6oxq said:
drdiags":iovb6oxq said:

I have been linking Baldwin to the Pats for a year now. His route running in that offense? Please.
Why would you wish for something stupid like that? You feel that Brady deserves another Superbowl or something even more ridiculous?