Richard Sherman

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I wonder if Percy Harvin can return punts next season if Tate signs elsewhere. He was a great punt returner in high school.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
With our defense there are going to be a lot of punts. I think Percy Harvin would be a very tired and injured man if he had to do both punts and kick returns as well as serve as our play maker WR. Does Richard Sherman have a background in punt returning?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd love to see Sherman return punts. You know how pissed off the 49ers would be if he broke off a punt return TD against them? :devil:

theascension

Reaction score
The problem is tate is very good at punt returns. If tate was gone.. maybe he'd get a chance? Certainly he deserves more of a chance at returns before Turbin does (one of the few major gaffs made in coaching this year).

Escamillo

Reaction score
I seem to recall Sherman returning a punt, or at least going back to receive a punt (that might have gone out of bounds or something), in 2011 or 2012. Maybe it was preseason?
I'm reminded that Kenny Easley was the Seahawks' #1 punt returner for a while.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
While it doesn't matter much what i think or anyone else for this matter, this is one of the reasons why I value Tate slightly ahead of Baldwin, I would hate to be the FO, it would be so hard to make these decisions.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Either Baldwin or Michaels could do it next year without too much of a dropoff, id think. ADB is squirrelly enough with the ball in his hands to handle it, and Michaels is very good in the open field IIRC. Might not be a position of need this offseason and id be willing to bet whatever WR we draft will also get plenty of time in pr.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Sounds more like Turban returning kickoffs.. A complete No-No!

Escamillo

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":15cua3gt said:
While it doesn't matter much what i think or anyone else for this matter, this is one of the reasons why I value Tate slightly ahead of Baldwin, I would hate to be the FO, it would be so hard to make these decisions.

But Baldwin is a competent kick off returner, as evidenced by returning a kick off for a TD against Denver in preseason his rookie year, and more importantly, having a great kick off return against the niners in the NFCCG to shift the momentum of that game. Baldwin is good insurance for kick off returns if Harvin is ever injured.

Throwdown

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":pbvcn2iw said:
I'd love to see Sherman return punts. You know how pissed off the 49ers would be if he broke off a punt return TD against them? :devil:

How pissed off would we be if he got smacked and taken out the game?

I don't get summayous obsession with putting the best corner in the game in harms way

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Throwdown":2p605ytp said:
RolandDeschain":2p605ytp said:

I don't get summayous obsession with putting the best corner in the game in harms way

:13: My Graham brutha speaks the truth!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Escamillo":1nrfzcdq said:
I seem to recall Sherman returning a punt, or at least going back to receive a punt (that might have gone out of bounds or something), in 2011 or 2012. Maybe it was preseason?
I'm reminded that Kenny Easley was the Seahawks' #1 punt returner for a while.

People forget this about Easley. He was a good return man. In today's weight /sizes.. he returned punts and was as big as Kam.

No way do we ever put Harvin back there. He don't have the mentality for it and will get hurt sure as hell. Harvin thinks he's Kam's size.

Baldwin is real good, but I'd sure like to use someone less valuable than Doug or Tate. Tim brown did it for forever, but how many others have?

As fun as punt returns can be...there's something to be said about fair catches. Don Shula had his return men (my bro Jake Scott) fair catch more times than not. That reduced injury, penalties and turnovers. Shula's belief was that his offense was more than adequate when it came to moving the ball.

IMO, that 72 Phin offense (minus Warfield) wasn't much better, if at all, than our Hawks today. I'm not suggesting we fair catch everything, but as you know, that Shula team went undefeated and as good as their D was, they weren't as good as ours.

As an aside, it would be interesting to know how many net yards are actually gained on punt returns after the deduction of penalties and turnovers. We were very fortunate this year with Tate. He was awesome. But it might be eye opening when you take injuries into consideration...not just the return man...but to others involved as well. Seems someone is always slow getting up after a punt.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
please stop with the percy as a punt returner talk. he does not return punts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Throwdown":35hwbefx said:
RolandDeschain":35hwbefx said:

Don't be such a wuss. Deion Sanders returned all the time. Oh no, let's not use one of our best toys because he might get a boo-boo. :roll:

That's a loser's mentality.