Super Bowl XLVIII =Double The Pleasure

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I know that for a lot of you 'New To The Seahawks Fandom', maybe wouldn't quite get this, but, most of us old timers, have a tie to the old AFC WEST rivalries, and that the Denver Broncos were at one time, one of the teams that the Seahawks had to face twice a Year (along with the Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers).
This win over the Broncos in this battle for the World Championship, was a double the sweet victory for me, and I suspect a good many other old Seahawks fans.
Just curious as to how many around here didn't feel that EXTRA surge of pride too. :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

lsheldon

Reaction score
I certainly felt pride because of the old AFC days, but I never hated Denver back then like I did the Raiders.

Heyseed

Reaction score
Broncos have beaten us more than anybody I think

It doesn't matter now

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Always hated Denver the most from the AFC West, kinda root for the Raiders every now and then and have nothing against the Chargers, root for them most the time, not really a fan of the Chiefs, and dont' like Denver

Mick063

Reaction score
I didn't like the Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos, or Chargers.

Didn't like any of them.

Loved how Rufus Porter used to terrorize Elway.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Present generation Hawk fans have no idea how we hated our AFC West foes. However, the Raiders were the most hated as they knocked us out of the Super Bowl race after we had just beaten the Dolphins..

OP
OP
S

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1mbx94gb said:
Present generation Hawk fans have no idea how we hated our AFC West foes. However, the Raiders were the most hated as they knocked us out of the Super Bowl race after we had just beaten the Dolphins..
Yes LOL, I was one of the 'Raiders Haters' back then.
Funny though, I really couldn't bring myself to dislike Marcus Allen, or even Jim Plunkett, so much, but I couldn't stand Lyle Alzado (sp.) or Howie Long LOL.
There were a couple of Seasons that we ruined the Raiders chances to moving on for the race to the Super Bowl also :twisted:
Got to be something in the water down there eh? :mrgreen:

OP
OP
S

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Heyseed":ewhuqh8t said:

It doesn't matter now
True enough, but this SB win against them sure has made ME feel like we've given them the double slam, and wiped out the angst for a bunch of losses to them in the past.
If you think they didn't like us back when we were in the AFC WEST, I'll bet they REALLY don't like us now :mrgreen:

grizbob

Reaction score
For me, the Broncos were what the Rams are now, the Niners the Raiders, the Cards the Chargers or Chiefs.

So yeah OP this Super Bowl victory was a little extra due to the AFC West ties :th2thumbs:

MagHawk

Reaction score
Yes, this SB victory over Denver is sweet for me! I hated that team! Elway always seemed to find a way to beat us.

The fact that he is still tied to them just adds that much more satisfaction for me!

Raiders were right up there, then the Chiefs! Didn't have much animosity for the Chargers though.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Beating an Elway-managed team was a sweet bonus. What would have been better is if the camera got a shot of his face at least once per quarter. I would have loved to see his expression in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I noticed Elly May was standing up in the first quarter, then sat down with a dejected look once we started blowing them out. I wonder if Mr. Ed did the same. :)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Heyseed":2ytzpsnj said:

It doesn't matter now

I'm an "old timer" I guess, since I'm in the 38 club. If this is true (the Seahawks have been beaten more by the Broncos than any other team), to me, this is some extra satisfaction. More satisfaction, perhaps, b/c of all the hype of the #1 offense that was said would be the undoing of the Hawks. I don't know how more satisfied I can be than simply with that 43-8 beat down, no matter what team the Hawks did it to. It was (and will always be) a thing of beauty.

(fair warning... I am going to mention XL below. If you don't want to read it, exit now.)
_______

I'm going to comment now on XL (your final heads up), because it was brought up and I've seen these sorts of comments pop up in relation to this SB victory. So, those tempted to accuse me of whining... don't. Remember, I'm a 38 club guy - so understand that I have a lot of years invested in this team. I don't need to be reminded or schooled on matters such as "don't blame the officials" and all the other flippant comments that get thrown around when some just don't see the weight of a problem. I have coaching experience, officiated athletic events, etc., etc., etc. I'm not just making uniformed comments.

Here's the deal:
I don't see how this Super Bowl victory changes anything about how the 2005-2006 Seahawks were treated like the only skunk at a garden party at SBXL. I don't think any of the players on that team are now saying, "Well... our goal was to just win one for the franchise and this 2013 team did it. So, it has righted that wrong." No stinkin' way. I'm not dwelling on that game, but the world saw what we saw... and a certain man charged with the responsibility of managing an equal playing field lost sleep for 4 years about that game until he finally had to come out with it to get it off his chest.

The guys on that team worked just as hard as this 2013 team did to get to the opportunity to play for a title. Not saying they would have won if not for all that has been well-documented and proved to be relevant to the outcome of the game. But, they probably would have won with all the momentum they had if not for even one of the last calls that did them in (the Phantom holding / no-call offsides that would have put them on the 1 and likely up 17-14.)

I love this current team, the direction, etc., etc., etc. I'm not living in the past. There's no sense in that. But, at the same time, there's no sense in pretending that it didn't happen or trying to forget it, either. There's much about that team and year that brought great joy. I have not forgotten that 2005 team and what they meant to me and countless other fans. That would be ungrateful. I'm grateful to those who were part of that team. Thank you Mike Holmgren, Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, Marcus Trufant, etc., etc., etc. You will always be champions in my book. You/they had accomplished so much and brought something to the Seahawks franchise that I had only dreamed would happen in my lifetime. There are fans like me who will always feel that pain, even though we all have had to move on.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
I hated the Broncos back then and have never stopped hating them. I absolutely detest John Elway. Curb stomping them to win our first Super Bowl could only have been eclipsed by curb stomping the Raiders to win our first Super Bowl. It made every miserable loss to them in the 90s worth it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Oh yeah it definitely brought back all those rivalry feelings when I saw those disgusting pukey orange uniforms.

The irony is that those Bronco teams used to talk as much smack as any team in the league with loud mouths like Sharpe, Atwater, Romanowski and Smith............and what team talks a lot of smack now? That's right, our Hawks.