If the NFL Salary Cap Indeed Increases 7M...

skater18000

Reaction score
What would you do with the money? Here's what I'd do.

Cut Sidney Rice (frees up 15 mil)

Renegotiate: Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Zach Miller if possible and cut one of them

Resign Tony McDaniel (3 years 8.5 mil), Michael Bennett franchise tag as DT (9.1 mil), Golden Tate (4 years 21 million), first round tender on Doug Baldwin (approx 2.8 mil)

Draft replacements for Bennett and Doug Baldwin for 2015 and hopefully have money for the LOB next year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
There is no need to put a first round tag on Baldwin. A second would do fine and even should someone sign him you would get a very valuable pick in this draft anyway. However I highly doubt anyone signs him away for a second.

kidhawk

Reaction score
skater18000":31x76el6 said:
What would you do with the money? Here's what I'd do.

Cut Sidney Rice (frees up 15 mil)

Renegotiate: Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Zach Miller if possible and cut one of them

Resign Tony McDaniel (3 years 8.5 mil), Michael Bennett franchise tag as DT (9.1 mil), Golden Tate (4 years 21 million), first round tender on Doug Baldwin (approx 2.8 mil)

Draft replacements for Bennett and Doug Baldwin for 2015 and hopefully have money for the LOB next year.

Cutting Sidney Rice doesn't free up $15 million. It frees up $7.3 million.

irfuben32

Reaction score
problem is Bennett played more snaps at DE so his tag number is higher then that.

I was thinking he was probably pricing himself out of our range and we could replace him on the cheap but then I was watching the Superbowl and all of the plays Avril and Clemons were making and there was Bennett getting double teamed.

If you have a guy they HAVE to double team you pay that guy.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Cutting Rice will still give as about the same amount in dead cap space. We need to restructure him.

The Radish

Reaction score
Takes the Bennet problem off the board. Give him the $7 million and you've resolved one problem.

:les:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":10w9eg84 said:
Cutting Rice will still give as about the same amount in dead cap space. We need to restructure him.

Restructuring is only agreeable with players if that means extending their deal or adding more guaranteed money. Neither of these things is prudent with a player like Rice who's got something chronic going on with his knee(s).

Cut him, eat the dead cap hit, and save the 7.3M. End of problem.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":g1ozl4g7 said:

Not sure where you got your information from? Or, maybe I am misunderstanding you but the dead money from Rice's contract is 2.4 million where we would gain 7.3 million in cap relief.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2oohdcj0 said:
KitsapGuy":2oohdcj0 said:

Not sure where you got your information from? Or, maybe I am misunderstanding you but the dead money from Rice's contract is 2.4 million where we would gain 7.3 million in cap relief.

He's saying that the 2014 cap increase is the same as the Rice savings, so keep him and make him restructure.

Which still doesn't make sense, because cutting him only costs you 2.4M, and restructuring to a longer term deal will cost you way more than 2.4M............AND you'll have another 1-2 years of dealing with Rice underperforming, or not performing at all.

bigcc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k1jvsrxu said:
CurryStopstheRuns":k1jvsrxu said:
KitsapGuy":k1jvsrxu said:

He's saying that the 2014 cap increase is the same as the Rice savings, so keep him and make him restructure.

Which still doesn't make sense, because cutting him only costs you 2.4M, and restructuring to a longer term deal will cost you way more than 2.4M............AND you'll have another 1-2 years of dealing with Rice underperforming, or not performing at all.

You could put in performance clauses quite easily with a player like Rice to be fair.